This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caitlyn Jenner's Espy Award

Did she deserve it or not? (If there's already a thread for this I'm sorry I looked and didn't see one)

My stance is this. Everyone's getting up in arms becuase she's transgender. But I'm willing to bet all these people who are against it didn't even know about this award until now. I didn't. People are saying she isn't brave. They call her names, degrade her, refuse to call her by the correct pronouns (SHE). But.... aren't those people the REASON she's brave? She stood up in front of millions of people and did something a lot of people are terrified to do to one person. Coming out to one person is terrifying, I can tell you. But when every eye is on you? I know I wouldn't be able to do it. And the funny thing is, these people are saying "Ugh. Why is it brave? It's the 21st century. This isn't brave nowadays." They're acting like being LGBT is completely accepted, when that's absolutely not true, and they're a PART of that problem!

And a lot of people are bringing up the car accident. First of all, using someone's DEATH as a WEAPON is unethical in my opinion. Secondly, we still aren't SURE the accident WAS Caitlyn's fault. And even if it WAS, she wasn't trying to MURDER someone, it was just that- an accident. And I know that sounds harsh. But there's a reason it's called an accident and not a murder.

Anywho, thought I might bring this up since even though the award's already been given people are still ticked off.

Here's a video of her acceptance speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=112W8q8XXKw
    Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Re: Caitlyn Jenner's Espy Award

I do believe that she is brave. Having to come out as transgender to millions of people? That couldn't have been easy, especially with how poorly transgender people are often treated. I don't know if she deserves that award, but I have respect for Caitlyn Jenner.
    "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

What was so brave it just increased the ratings for the Kardashians and that's it.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
        What was so brave it just increased the ratings for the Kardashians and that's it.
        I'll have to disagree with you there. While you make a point, I doubt that Caitlyn would have gone through an entire transition to boost ratings. The thing is she's speaking up for the millions of trans kids in the world. Kids who are bullied, kicked out of school, teased and beaten because they're trans. My best friend is trans. And it scares me that people would treat her like that, her life's been a really rough ride without that added misery.

I had doubted Caitlyn she was doing this for any non-selfish reason, but those doubts where by far erased after I saw her acceptance speech.

Comment

That must be a cozy rock you are living under.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Gas Mask View Post
            I do believe that she is brave. Having to come out as transgender to millions of people? That couldn't have been easy, especially with how poorly transgender people are often treated. I don't know if she deserves that award, but I have respect for Caitlyn Jenner.
            I agree with you
            Did Caitlyn deserve the award over the other nominees? Questionable.
            However, no one should deny that she is brave. Bravery is measeared in more than how many lives you've saved. And you know what I think. I think Caitlyn's saved more than one life by standing up for the trans community. Trans suicide rates are over 40%......... that's way too high.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              That must be a cozy rock you are living under.
              Nope I just don't cream all over myself because some star with lots of money, lots of public support and lots or ratings decides to have a sex change and the media jumps all over it as if this person really had to sacrifice to make it come about. Get the kid in the gutter whose going though it and make them a hero then I might consider them a hero. Otherwise sorry just more Kardashian drama.

Comment

Nope I just don't cream all over myself because some star with lots of money, lots of public support and lots or ratings decides to have a sex change and the media jumps all over it as if this person really had to sacrifice to make it come about. Get the kid in the gutter whose going though it and make them a hero then I might consider them a hero. Otherwise sorry just more Kardashian drama.
                Ahh. The facebook response. It's a good go to. Gotcha.

Comment

The only problem with this sentence is "lots of public support." Have you read some of the comments about her? They're vicous, cruel, and murderous. Usually the only nice comment I see is mine.....

I wish we could've given the award to everyone who had to go through transition, but we can't do that...........

Comment

Ahh. The facebook response. It's a good go to. Gotcha.
                    Nope I just refuse to glorify a coward. If he had done it years ago when he was a nobody then perhaps a hero, right now sorry nothing special or heroic about it.

Comment

Nope I just refuse to glorify a coward. If *She had done it years ago when he was a nobody then perhaps a hero, right now sorry nothing special or heroic about it.
                      I think she's a hero becuase she sacrificed what she wanted for her family, her career. She spent her entire life hating who she was. From what my friends described....... it's a horrible feeling. Dealing with that, and living with it, is brave in my eyes.

Comment

Nope I just refuse to glorify a coward. If he had done it years ago when he was a nobody then perhaps a hero, right now sorry nothing special or heroic about it.
                        Lol. Just go full hate. I can feel it right there. Let er rip.

Comment

Lol. Just go full hate. I can feel it right there. Let er rip.
                          Whose hating I'm just not drinking the coolaid that is being passed with this supposed hero. I have more respect for Chelsea Manning than Bruce. She at least did something and stood up for something even if I strongly disagree with what was done. Not only stood up but did so at a moment when a good percentage of the nation was against her and wanted her head on a platter. What did Bruce do? Hid behind his name, maid a fortune but never actually stood up and only did so when he though he'd be getting a lot of public support. Nothing heroic about that at all.

Comment

As I mentioned in another post,no dis for Caitlyn,but the award was originally going to go to the female basketball player who died from brain cancer..and raised a LOT for cancer research,then Caitlyn kinda popped up and sucked all the air out of the whole thing.

Not a hate thing,just kind felt more about the woman with brain cancer....
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I understand a lot of people don't agree with transgender people. I respect that.
                              Honestly the only thing I get really annoyed about is people who use biological pronouns not out of ignorance or beliefs but just to plain piss people off (I'm not saying anyone here's doing this I'm just saying in general.)

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                              As I mentioned in another post,no dis for Caitlyn,but the award was originally going to go to the female basketball player who died from brain cancer..and raised a LOT for cancer research,then Caitlyn kinda popped up and sucked all the air out of the whole thing.

Not a hate thing,just kind felt more about the woman with brain cancer....
                              Suprisingly I agree with you. I'm not really up and angry about the "Did she deserve it" part. Frankly I think there could have been better recipients, BUT Caitlyn winning the award DOES show we're moving forward in acceptance or at least tolerance. I'm more upset about how many people are blatantly disrespecting her.

Comment

Working...
                              X