Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you find this path?

...or maybe "it" found you.

Just wondered how you got into Heathenism, Odinism or Asatru etc?

Re: How did you find this path?

I always liked, and knew a little bit about Norse mythology. It was like

fan_of_norse_mythology_by_red_ipod-d5jdbrj.jpg
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I first started practising an earth based neo-paganism in university in a casual sort of way. I studied anglo saxon lit at uni and personally studied the norse myths at this time. Then over the years I met some heathens (both in real life and online - particularly on the previous incarnation of this forum where I was a lot more active). I started to move towards a hard polytheistic belief for reasons that I can only call logic (my atheist friends would need fainting couches if they heard me say that but there it is) supported by personal gnosis and I felt 'claimed' as a Heathen. I joined a local kindred run by my friend and felt very much at home.

Unfortunately the kindred suffered several set backs, most damaging being the then partner, now husband, of our de facto leader having severe health issues and so it's faded rather a lot and I've also moved away. I'm back here to see if I can't kick off the spiritual apathy I've been feeling lately so it's good to recount how and why I became a heathen.
      You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

I've been drawn to Norse mythology and Viking Age (and earlier) culture for as long as I can remember (and was always very proud of the fact that my grandma claimed we could trace our ancestors back to 'the Vikings'). When I first came to paganism (a process that took a few years) I was immediately drawn to looking into Asatru, but I found that I was unsatisfied by most of what I found... I was bored by the Prose Edda, I didn't really like Othinn, I felt like it wasn't quite right. The runes were the only things that really stuck hard and fast and wouldn't go away, and Skadhi was the only deity who felt comfortable to me. Then I got online and was really turned off by most of the Heathens that I found online... I just didn't like what I saw. But I kept collecting books and resources and could never turn away from the Northern path or gods 100% even when I tried to.

For a while I looked in different directions... I maintained my relationship with the runespirits, but I studied shamanism and animal energies and Demonolatry. I worked with Ereshkigal for a while, and certain Demons (who I still work with). I developed a relationship with a goddess who wouldn't tell me her name to begin with (she made me work it out for myself, leading me a merry dance in the process). I've never been able to shake the Northern flavour of my practice, but I was never able to fully embrace a Heathen or Asatru path... then Northern Tradition folk started coming out of the woodwork and publishing books and everything started falling into place. I started getting hit over the head with massive 'pings' when I read certain things... Jotun deities started putting up their hands... I finally accepted the fact that my goddess was Skuld (after several months of second guessing myself because pretty much all Heathen sources say that the Nornir aren't worshipped and don't contact people). Every time I'd accept something that I was feeling or thinking or experiencing, I'd later read about it in a NT book or website. All of the things about the Northern paths that had been calling me for so many years started fitting together and staying together even without the Aesir. Rereading the Asatru books bought more insight rather than leaving me feeling empty and dissatisfied. The Lore was suddenly fascinating and I could read the stories of the Aesir without being turned off (because I didn't feel as though I was obligated to follow some of these gods that I didn't actually like that much). So here I am. It was a roundabout journey, but I got there in the end.

Comment

Great answers so far.

I may as well say how I found the path.

The runes kept popping up in a lot of art I was enjoying. The power of the runes seemed to be asking me to learn about them.

I bought some runes, then started reading about the runes and divination. I then started reading about the Norse Gods and culture. It has been a number of years but I still feel I have a lot to learn and want to learn but this is the part of the path I have chosen. I do find sometimes that I do not practice as I much as I would like to as work, home life etc sometimes gets in the way but that does not stop me striving for more knowledge.

I would like to start honoring the Gods more by actions and by doing blots, so this is the current area I am delving into.

Thanks all so far for sharing some of your journey.

Comment

Originally posted by Maythe View Post
            I first started practising an earth based neo-paganism in university in a casual sort of way. I studied anglo saxon lit at uni and personally studied the norse myths at this time. Then over the years I met some heathens (both in real life and online - particularly on the previous incarnation of this forum where I was a lot more active). I started to move towards a hard polytheistic belief for reasons that I can only call logic (my atheist friends would need fainting couches if they heard me say that but there it is) supported by personal gnosis and I felt 'claimed' as a Heathen. I joined a local kindred run by my friend and felt very much at home.

Unfortunately the kindred suffered several set backs, most damaging being the then partner, now husband, of our de facto leader having severe health issues and so it's faded rather a lot and I've also moved away. I'm back here to see if I can't kick off the spiritual apathy I've been feeling lately so it's good to recount how and why I became a heathen.
            And we missed you. *hugs*

Mostly art.

Comment

Aww thanks volcaniclastic
              You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Working...
              X