Flyfishing and tying flies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flyfishing and tying flies

Is anybody into fly fishing and tying their own flies? I've been doing this for about ten years now and there is nothing like standing in a river being ignored by a fish.
    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Re: Flyfishing and tying flies

LOL - I was wondering when this would come up...

I like to fish, but prefer to be ignored while sitting down.

I've tried tying flies, but the little Houdinis keep escaping.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Ah. You need to have and us the proper restraints to achieve satisfactory results.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Just like fishing, only netted one.

Comment

I tried tying them once ... Then I found that a dab of super glue on the hook holds the fly quite nicely ... And is faster and easier ...

Nowadays when I go fishing I just wade out in the river and grab the one I want by the tail ...
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=1206.msg24169#msg24169 date=1293051367]
            Nowadays when I go fishing I just wade out in the river and grab the one I want by the tail ...
            [/quote]

Have you tried a stick of TNT? Just make sure you leave your fetch dog at home...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Anyway ... Back to flys ... My best luck (and the easiest for me to tie) is a version of a wet wooly bear ... Dry flies are beyond me ...
              I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=1206.msg24261#msg24261 date=1293073264]
                Anyway ... Back to flys ... My best luck (and the easiest for me to tie) is a version of a wet wooly bear ... Dry flies are beyond me ...
                [/quote]
                Yes dry flies are harder to tie then wet flies are. I started out tying woolly buggers and nymphs myself. OK Corbin there's an opening line for you.
                I spend my winter months tying flies for the spring opener.

Comment

I'm only doing this because you invited it, Mr. Monk -

> At your age, you probably DON'T NEED to tie the fly spring open. <

(I really have no idea what I mean by that. It just sounded funny)

Comment

At my age the spring opener needs hydraulics ... 8)

Comment

Here in Michigan we have an early trout season on some rivers around the second week of April. This is catch an release and flies only for the first two weeks. There have been a few times when the ice is still on the water and snow on the ground. One year I fished during an ice storm and was just missed by an ice covered tree limb that fell a little to close to me as I stood in the river. This part of the upper Huron river is stocked for the opener with some very large (Rainbows and Brown) trout. But if you don't go at off time's(like Monday to mid week) it can get crowded.
                      Take it easy Mr. Corbin, it's just when I used the word nymph and tying in the same sentience I could see the lights go off in your head. You been making that boiled coffee again, you seem a little tense. As you know your input is always welcome and appreciated by me.

Comment

I'm such a bonehead! Megusjinx I meant to ask you what type of fly fishing do you do and what type of rod/gear do you use.

Corbin I'd be very happy to do any kind of fishing with you when I come up for my visit. You live smack dab in the middle of some of my favorite places to fish. Maybe spend sometime at little bear if I can set it up.

Lets see 2"Dia.8" long PVC with end caps, 30 feet of 14 Gage twisted wire, switch, 12 volt battery, red dot, auto tail light bulb w/socket, drill, lead, PVC glue, electrical tape and RTV.

Comment

[quote author=Monk link=topic=1206.msg24670#msg24670 date=1293210600]

Lets see 2"Dia.8" long PVC with end caps, 30 feet of 14 Gage twisted wire, switch, 12 volt battery, red dot, auto tail light bulb w/socket, drill, lead, PVC glue, electrical tape and RTV.
                          [/quote]Cheaper if you hit the yard sales and get old flash bulbs ... The filiment wires are finer and a bigger mass of them for heat generation ... I like 3f pyrodex over red dot ... instead of all that electrics you can use 6 inches of waxed cannon fuse ...

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=1206.msg24728#msg24728 date=1293227680]
                            Cheaper if you hit the yard sales and get old flash bulbs ... The filiment wires are finer and a bigger mass of them for heat generation ... I like 3f pyrodex over red dot ... instead of all that electrics you can use 6 inches of waxed cannon fuse ...
                            [/quote]
                            Heck I've got all of that stuff in my workroom. But how well will it cast with a 9 WT fly rod and with a 6" fuse you wouldn't be able to false cast.

Comment

Usually if I go fly fishing I get a bamboo pole about 8 to 10 foot, bend the tip around to form a small loop and put a small screw eye somewhere just below mid point ... Then I just hand feed about 30 or 50 feet of line thru it ... No reel ... Sort of a purist redneck way to fish ... I have been known to stab one hook of a treble thru a grasshopper I find laying around and toss that out in the water ... Usually works too ... Bigger bait, bigger fish ...

Comment

Working...
                              X