Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flyfishing and tying flies

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=1206.msg24830#msg24830 date=1293319717]
    Usually if I go fly fishing I get a bamboo pole about 8 to 10 foot, bend the tip around to form a small loop and put a small screw eye somewhere just below mid point ... Then I just hand feed about 30 or 50 feet of line thru it ... No reel ... Sort of a purist redneck way to fish ... I have been known to stab one hook of a treble thru a grasshopper I find laying around and toss that out in the water ... Usually works too ... Bigger bait, bigger fish ...
    [/quote]
    I believe that would be old school(Egyptian)fly fishing.No reels and some type of pole made out of whatever they had around. Most people don't know that the Egyptians would tie feathers(and I'm sure bugs too) to their hooks and cast them on the water to catch fish.
    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

That's what the islanders do/did too ... From Hawaii to New Zealand ...
      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I don't know a thing in the world about this but it sure does sound funny to use FEATHERS for FLY fishing. ;D
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Wings is wings ... 8)
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=Hawkfeathers link=topic=1206.msg25206#msg25206 date=1293509293]
            I don't know a thing in the world about this but it sure does sound funny to use FEATHERS for FLY fishing. ;D
            [/quote]
            I couldn't believe what was being done with feathers eather when I first started tying flies. Some feathers are used to make wings, some to make the fly sink, and others to make it float. Feathers are just a part of tying flies, some feathers are stripped down to the Quill. The Quill is then used to form the body of the fly.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

peacock feathers add a shiny quality to them too

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=1206.msg25389#msg25389 date=1293598342]
                peacock feathers add a shiny quality to them too
                [/quote]
                Yes, peacock feathers are used a lot on flies. They have an iridescent glow to them unlike any feather I can think of. You use the long thin feathers coming off the quill called hurl. The eye part is also used sometimes. Most of the peacock feathers I use were given to me by Corbin.
                At work they often have floral arrangement with all kinds of feathers in them so when ever I can I will collect them for my bench. The people I work with think I'm nuts.

Comment

I used to work on a cranberry farm ... It was around 300 acres ... The owner had about 3 dozen peacocks and hens ... Some were even albino ... White peacocks are neat to look at but the feathers are worthless ... I used to go in early and collect the fallen feathers about once a week ... Made a few dollars from them over the years ...

Comment

Some of the feathers used are quite expensive, like jungle cock, it's a small yellow feather used on many Salmon flies to simulate gills. These are hard to find and cost up to $5.00 each. They were in such demand that the birds they came from were almost wiped out. I hear that they can now legally collect only the feathers that fallout on there own. I have no Idea how the can keep track of this. I have only used them once and that was before I'd heard about the birds plight. The only way I'd use them now is if I find the at a garage sale. This is not out of the realm of possibility as I once bought a entire Fly tying bench worth a couple hundred dollars at one for $25.00.

Comment

Almost makes one wonder about going to diff countries and pick up ground feathers ... Might almost be worth it ...

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=1206.msg25783#msg25783 date=1293730644]
                        Almost makes one wonder about going to diff countries and pick up ground feathers ... Might almost be worth it ...
                        [/quote]

Might be hard getting back through customs thought.
                        I know I spend a small fortune on them myself. But I can tie a fly for around .25 cents as apposed to buying it for $3.00 ea.
                        I still buy some of my flies from local tiers when I'm on their home waters until I can make some up

Comment

People usually know what works best and when on their own home grounds ... And then there are the times when nothing seems to work and ya just have to toss out a hook with some corn or a piece of cheese on it ...

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=1206.msg26048#msg26048 date=1293817056]
                            People usually know what works best and when on their own home grounds ... And then there are the times when nothing seems to work and ya just have to toss out a hook with some corn or a piece of cheese on it ...
                            [/quote]
                            Haven't tried carp on a fly rod yet, 9 wt. ought to to work. There is a fly called popular (as in tree) that is tied to look like the white seed from that tree. This is supposed to work well. And yes I sometimes pull out my spinning rod and go live too.

Comment

I wonder what would happen if you cut a piece of bologna in a thin strip and put a little hook thru it and wet fished it? ... I used to use fly gear and a worm ... Hmmmmm ...

Comment

2 of the many odd things I always have in my purse are a safety pin and dental floss, the idea being if I ever got stuck somewhere I could tie some floss to a stick, put the pin on the other and, put a worm on the pin, and hopefully catch dinner. Although as a city girl, I'm not real sure what I'd do if I caught one, but if that day comes I'll figure it out.
                                sigpic
                                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                                X