Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you offer your patron God(s) or matron Godess(es)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you offer your patron God(s) or matron Godess(es)

I did volunteering at a shelter a few years back,it was mainly for Cats,and was a no kill shelter. My main "Job" was re socializing cats that were from ones living outside for a long time. Getting them used to people again,so they could be adopted. I spent my time with about 40 cats roaming the shelter,it was great for me and also very good for the cats.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      I did volunteering at a shelter a few years back,it was mainly for Cats,and was a no kill shelter. My main "Job" was re socializing cats that were from ones living outside for a long time. Getting them used to people again,so they could be adopted. I spent my time with about 40 cats roaming the shelter,it was great for me and also very good for the cats.
      That's exactly what I'm going to be doing
      I won't be old enough to volunteer until next summer though. The minimum age of volunteering without parents is 16. Curse it all. xD Oh well, next summer isn't that far away.....
      Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Comment

I will say,there was a Cat even I could not get through to. I have a way with cats,even ones that do not like people or hide from people. I do not know what happened to this cat that made it so VERY angry around people. He would hiss AND if you were not careful Bite and attack. I wore gloves when working with him.

- - - Updated - - -

I have only once had a Dog as a pet,my ex had many dogs,and would be considered a Dog person.
        I got as a puppy a wire haired miniature dachshund.

Her name was Gretal,and she was a bit hard headed and very independent..maybe why a Cat person like me loved her.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          I will say,there was a Cat even I could not get through to. I have a way with cats,even ones that do not like people or hide from people. I do not know what happened to this cat that made it so VERY angry around people. He would hiss AND if you were not careful Bite and attack. I wore gloves when working with him.

- - - Updated - - -

I have only once had a Dog as a pet,my ex had many dogs,and would be considered a Dog person.
          I got as a puppy a wire haired miniature dachshund.

Her name was Gretal,and she was a bit hard headed and very independent..maybe why a Cat person like me loved her.

DOG DOG DOG
          Sorry

She's adorable!
          Well you know, you just can't get to some of them. Some are just too far gone, and it's always sad to see, but it happens.........
          Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Comment

Let me preface this with the disclaimer this is not meant as a slam or belittling of beliefs in anyway.

I find it interesting so many try to equate offerings to Bast via doing something for cats. Yet the cat in ancient Egypt was more of a protector and scrounger that kept the rodents and such down which made it holy in a sense. So they were more protective of home and hearth in keeping things out which aided in avoiding plague, pestilence, etc which is why they were so protected. Do not recall any lore that even comes close to making them the special creature so many modern people seem to make them, almost equating them to the sense of the Cow in Hindus religions. About the biggest thing you see with honoring and such is the embalming of cat mummies and dedicating the body to Bast in her role as one of the guardians of the dead and book of the dead. Figure she destroy's the bodies of the dead with her royal flame who fail the test of Ma'at in the judgement hall.

Figure she is the protector of the royal house, protector of women and children and judge and destroyer in the hall of judgement. Then in death the cat's body is given to Bastet or Pahket (she had nearly as many cat burials at her temple). Which might suggest they were given to her to be judged for their ability to protect and destroy that which threatened civilization.

So death, suffering, disease, injury, etc were all part and parcel of the lives of cats and she didn't step in to prohibit or reduce that. So were cats sacred for being cats or were they sacred for the duty they performed? If for the duty they performed within society and culture then what is done for them does nothing to compare what they are expected to do for society and their role as protectors and destroyers.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
              ...But that also might tie back into the notion of Hekate and leaving of "Trash" at the crossroads as parts of a Hekate Supper or Hekate's Deipnon . So it would be the bones, blood,cooking juices, general dirt and trash from within the house and other things.
              Somewhat related: there is a Hindu goddess, Mother Matangi, who is one of the ten Mahavidyas, tantric and fierce manifestations of the Supreme Mother Goddess. Matangi is said to live on the periphery of society and accepts the refuse of the house and village, food leavings, and other things considered unacceptable in Indian and Hindu society.
              śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
              śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
                Somewhat related: there is a Hindu goddess, Mother Matangi, who is one of the ten Mahavidyas, tantric and fierce manifestations of the Supreme Mother Goddess. Matangi is said to live on the periphery of society and accepts the refuse of the house and village, food leavings, and other things considered unacceptable in Indian and Hindu society.
                Thank you. Had never heard of her so something to be researched for me.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  I did not know this.. and left out an egg for the house spirits this morning. (-‸ლ) I thought they'd like it because it's from a friend's hens that live just 5 minutes from here. Guess I'd better go and change it..

Actually, I'm starting to feel at odds with leaving food after learning about the extent of our food wastage in developed countries. I haven't made any attempt to speak to the spirits and deities I work with, to ask what they'd like instead, but it's on my list of things to do. (I did think about leaving cat biscuits for them... they'd be gone when I came to clean the bowl of course, and there'd be no questions asked as to where they went... )
                  My problem with food offerings being left outdoors is that (if it is a regular thing) its bad for wildlife.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I like to have an alter outside to make my alters for the Fey, I will share whatever I have with them. When I was a child it was water or tea or milk. Sometimes Momma would let me have some mead on special occasions for me to leave. For my Goddess and God I do like offering wine, mead or a nice whiskey. Breads! Those are some of my favorite forms of offering, why because I love making bread. It is a beautiful thing to make. I am not crafty nor am I artistic but I can make bread cook like nobodies business, so I offer what I gives me most joy. Incense and candles are also a regular offeringss.
                    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I offer blood (for Skuld and the runespirits), energy (mostly in the form of artwork, spinning amd crosstitch), tears (for Barbatos) and work (for the landspirits). I have been known to offer milk and wine on occaision too.

I am very much against food offerings being left outdoors, as well as many things that people leave on outdoor altars. Envirnmental responsibility is very important to me and there are only a few things that can be responsibly left outdoors. So I tend to offer work and beneficial gardening practices for landwights.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

I am very much against food offerings being left outdoors, as well as many things that people leave on outdoor altars. Envirnmental responsibility is very important to me and there are only a few things that can be responsibly left outdoors. So I tend to offer work and beneficial gardening practices for landwights.
                        We have another convo about this somewhere, don't we Rae'ya?

I'm feeling very de ja vou-ish.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          We have another convo about this somewhere, don't we Rae'ya?

I'm feeling very de ja vou-ish.
                          I believe we have several!

It's one of the things I'm particularly opinionated about... and I never seem to get tired of pointing it out

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            My problem with food offerings being left outdoors is that (if it is a regular thing) its bad for wildlife.
                            Oh gosh, no no.. I don't leave anything physical outside, although I used to leave wild birdseed when I was wiccan, so I might consider doing this again. The egg was left on the kitchen windowsill for the house spirits. These offerings always end up going in the bin though, which is what I meant about food waste.

As a side note, I tried to join the 'Friends of Northumberland Park' group in the hopes of helping out at in the gardens as a way to honour the land spirits. The problem is that my request is still pending after 8 weeks, and when I've gone down to the park on a Friday morning (when the group is meant to meet), they're never there. So I'm a bit stumped at this point.

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                            (I did think about leaving cat biscuits for them... they'd be gone when I came to clean the bowl of course, and there'd be no questions asked as to where they went... )
                            I've gotten to know the house spirits a bit better, and it turns out that they prefer milk over beer or wine, and in particular, they enjoy the texture of cat milk! No honestly, this is what they've asked for (although they want breakfast cereal rather than cat biscuits; sorry Dolly). Needless to say, the cat milk does indeed keep disappearing..
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Depends on the entity. The most important thing to me is to do something in their realm, but for example, I have a bowl of change for Kwan Yin that I put a coin in when I speak to Her. When it's full, I donate it. I do wine for Fortuna and Apollo, and incense for Him as well. I don't work with Saraswati much anymore, but when I do, I give Her offerings of honey.
                              Last edited by habbalah; 06 Aug 2015, 07:33. Reason: Damn autocorrect.
                              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I like your idea for Kwan Yin,think I might do that myself.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                                X