Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know a Diety or significant force with this symbol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know a Diety or significant force with this symbol?

Hi there! I've been researching various forms of Paganism and Wicca very recently (Practically less than a week) but felt a very strong pull towards the subject. I have read up on various Celtic gods and Wiccan traditions beforehand, and this led me to discovering that Deities are able to actually communicate and 'accept' a lucky few.

Recently, I had a very curious dream of being in some form of dark, open room, surrounded by a multitude of gold-ish pedestals. I think my dream-self chalked this up to 'Meeting Thy God/Goddess' due to only learning about such a thing before going to bed. However, I strictly remember the form of a Humanoid Snake beside me, with Feminine features (If a Snake can ever appear with such features :^^

I do not think I heard the being speak, however, I somehow knew that the word 'Ouroboros' was related to it. I woke up a time afterwards, and decided to search for the name, thinking it could have been the specific title if it were indeed a deity. What I found was the symbol for a self-devouring Snake/Serpent, that I indeed knew the image of, though vaguely. However, I have never heard the word Ouroboros in correlation with it, nor have heard that it was usually portrayed as a type of serpent.

If anyone knows of a deity that is related to the symbol, I would be very grateful if you could help me. :shy:

Re: Does anyone know a Diety or significant force with this symbol?

Ouroboros is also known as "The world worm"..that wraps itself around the earth...also the eating of its tail seems to say eternity is infinity...no beginning or end...

- - - Updated - - -

And here we have some explanation.

http://www.crystalinks.com/ouroboros.html
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Thank you very much for the information! I might it very strange for the word to suddenly appear in my consciousness like that. Do you think it has any possible meaning or sign from/for something?

Comment

There's the Jormungandr, the Norse World Serpent who had been thrown into the ocean and had grown so large that the only way that there would be room was if he held his tail within his own mouth. While not a "true" deity, the reverence of him is done by some Northern Tradition folks and the Rokkatruar (NTs who focus on the underworld deities).

Comment

Perhaps it's not about finding a deity at all but about recognizing some basic concept that is needed to move on. Consider the Ouroboros is also the indication that all that is created is destroyed, that creation is the process of destruction, perhaps even the notion there is no true start point for there is no true finish point as both are in constant movement and going forward in some capacity.

By trying to focus upon the presumption it reflects upon some divinity you miss the symbolism for what it suggests.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

In addition to "infinity," as Anunitu says, and the list that Monsno_leedra gives! it also means that certain types of "energy" (for lack of a better word) are self-generating - hate increases hate, love increases love, knowledge increases knowledge, etc.

Also, in comes in a variety of forms, each with it's own specific meaning (notice the double Ouroboros in my avatar, for instance...).
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              In addition to "infinity," as Anunitu says, and the list that Monsno_leedra gives! it also means that certain types of "energy" (for lack of a better word) are self-generating - hate increases hate, love increases love, knowledge increases knowledge, etc.

Also, in comes in a variety of forms, each with it's own specific meaning (notice the double Ouroboros in my avatar, for instance...).
              That also ties into the notion of Kinetic energy in that the tail represents the catalyst along with motion and the head the action resulting from dealing with the catalyst to cause a reaction or movement that shall continue until it has played out or been passed to something different. So many ways that symbol can be read as influencing things for certain. Of course that is my opinion so other's may see it differently.

Comment

The beauty of a symbol is that it contains meaning in the same way that an onion contains layers.

The specific meaning of any symbol depends largely (but not entirely) on the specific context in which it appears - the opposite (technically) is a "sign," which always means the same thing, no matter what the context. Think a red octagon that says STOP, for example.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I am finding this amazingly fascinating! I am trying to connect some of the more blatant interpretations of the symbol to current events and/or thoughts. I will definitely post soon!

Please continue or start any discussions about your interpretations of the symbol, since, as I said before, it is simply enthralling to learn!

Comment

Ah, now this symbol is everywhere! I was researching some Wiccan Altars and *BOOM* Ouroboros is the logo for the video. Playing a video-game and the big scary knight I was facing has the Ouroboros as his coat-of-arms. This is such an oddity to me, as I have never at all took notice of this symbol before.

Comment

Look at alchemy...

Comment

Just be careful in that sometimes symbols cross into games, books, movies, etc simply because the designer or writer wanted something to give it an archaic feel or look but the symbol has no true purpose within the usage. It looks neat or has some occult implied meaning so gets used to make things seem witchier or more occultish as a backdrop. One might equate it to many Egyptian movies, especially Mummy movies where some oversized statue of Bastet gets thrown into the background props.

It's like consider how many times you see the emblem or symbol of a fish as part of a backdrop. Yet the symbol in that usage has nothing to do with the early Christian usage of it as a symbol of Christ and his role as the fisherman.

Comment

^ this exactly.

People pick up stuff and have no idea what they are saying. The Ouroboros was used frequently in Alchemy, and it is an ancient symbol, predating what we know of as Alchemy.

It (IMHO) most likely had the same origin point as the yin/yang symbol (the meanings of the two cross), but both developed in different cultural environments. Both symbols today commonly appear a decorations, devoid of meaning.

This is sad, like words which have lost their meanings - such as "awesome": to be filled with a sense of supernatural dread, like when you look over the edge of the Grand Canyon. Now the word means simple "cool."

Destruction of language, destruction of symbols... intellect is in danger of turning into newspeak. Double plus bad.

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that you have begun noticing it everywhere may, however, indicate that some aspect of what it represents has become significant for you.

Comment

Here's a different twist on the meaning of the symbol that I've come to take into consideration. Once again, adding a Norse flavour, the figure of Jormungandr was a forgotten about and cast away child of Loki. Yet, in its exile, it grew to such massive proportions that it became feared by the gods and in fact will be the downfall of Thor. This teaches us that even the smallest of things has the potential to grow into a force to be reckoned with. This can relate to anything from an unresolved issue, a deemed insignificant problem, a once worthless object now shown to have great value, or even the strength a person may find within themselves after having been "cast aside" or neglected by friends and family.

Comment

The Ouroboros is a symbol for life, death, and rebirth. The "Father" is consumed by the son whose son is the father reborn. The son (and father to the new son, who is also the father and the son) consumes the father who will be reborn as the son.
                              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X