Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"One right way" to find a patron/matron deity- Yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"One right way" to find a patron/matron deity- Yes or no?

I see a lot of people who say there's specific things that have to happen or specific ways you have to do something to know you've found a patron/matron deity. (not on here- other websites).
    I found my matron deity because I've felt a connection to her name and presence ever since I was a young child.

However, I see a lot of people saying that you "have" to have dreams or visions during meditation or that kind of encounter to know what your patron/matron deity is.

Eh. I don't like that idea. I don't like the you "Have" to do this part.

Also, there are people who are against the idea that some know who thier matron diety is when they are still new to paganism. Again I call BS. It's a connection. And if you feel that connection when you first start, good for you. I don't think there's a specific "time" or age that you need to know who your patron deity is if you want one, nor do I think that you can be "too new." However, I see this one a lot, and Ive even been told it a couple times.

Not everyone has spiritual encounters or things like that, especially people who aren't very good at meditation.

I've seen others say everyone finds their patron deity a different way, and only you "know" when you've found them. I honestly agree more with this argument. There are different ways to do everything.

Like in Christianity, some honor Yaweh by not eating meat specific days, some go to church, some pray at home, some do all of those and some do none of them. People practice in different ways.

Everyone is an individual and I feel that others have no right to tell them if they are doing something right or wrong, especially when it comes to things like this.

What do you all think?
    Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Re: "One right way" to find a patron/matron deity- Yes or no?

I do not believe there is a given way for one to find their patron or patroness. Of course that assumes they in fact have a patron or patroness who accepts them and in returns offers support, guidance, insight, into their lives and such.

I admit I do not tend to support the idea of the rolodex approach to finding a divinity. If you run an add that your looking for something then something is sure to respond to your add. That to me is what happens when a person tries to find a patron / patroness by going through a listing of attributes and correlations to find someone. Basically equating it to walking up to someone on the street and implying your now going to be the best of friends forever, all based upon physical characteristics or what others have said.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

You don't have to have dreams. It works differently with everyone. I have dreams from time to time because I'm strong visually. It doesn't and won't be the same with someone else.

As for feeling a connection when you're new - I suggest caution. Because there are similar deities. For instance Mafdet and Bast. Maybe even Sekhmet because Bast was in the beginning a Netjeri with a head of a lioness.
      If you feel a connection to a deity - good for you. Look the deity up in the web and dig some info about it and try to contact the deity when you feel ready.
      Maybe, just maybe, a deity will be offended if you mistake it for someone else. That's why you should things carefully.

It's the first time i hear that people who worship Yhwh don't eat meat on specific days. I know that there is a break of few hours between milky things and meat. If the works for them - good.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
        You don't have to have dreams. It works differently with everyone. I have dreams from time to time because I'm strong visually. It doesn't and won't be the same with someone else.

As for feeling a connection when you're new - I suggest caution. Because there are similar deities. For instance Mafdet and Bast. Maybe even Sekhmet because Bast was in the beginning a Netjeri with a head of a lioness.
        If you feel a connection to a deity - good for you. Look the deity up in the web and dig some info about it and try to contact the deity when you feel ready.
        Maybe, just maybe, a deity will be offended if you mistake it for someone else. That's why you should things carefully.

It's the first time i hear that people who worship Yhwh don't eat meat on specific days. I know that there is a break of few hours between milky things and meat. If the works for them - good.
        Catholocism has a number of fast days, a number of Catholics interpret some of these days as days not to eat meat. I'm pretty sure this interpretation is technically in error but lecturing Catholics on the proper way to conduct a fast day isn't a priority for me.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Soo,no meat does not include fish right?...Never could understand how fish is not meat..
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post

Yes of course I know
            I was referring more to the people who say you have to be pagan for YEARS before knowing who your patron/gods goddesses are.

I wasn't specifically referring to me if that's what you were thinking- I actually meant to write I SUSPECT I've found my matron diety xD I need to proofread better

- - - Updated - - -

Yes to edit my original post I meant to write I SUSPECT I may have found my matron diety- I haven't done anything yet, I'm still meditating on it
            Not very important but I still wanted to clarify.
            Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Comment

Why Do Catholics Eat Fish on Friday?, by Michael P. Foley; published by Palgrave Macmillan, 2005 When I picked up this intriguingly titled paperback, I expected it to be a zippy read, informative, …
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Thank you McDonald’s because I love Filet-o-Fish..but not cause I was ever Catholic...

Did you know that the Catholic practice of abstaining from meat on Friday was the reason for the creation of McDonald’s Filet-o-Fish sandwich?

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

^^^ I did. I remember when that sandwich came out. When I worked at McD's in high school, they didn't have it yet.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I really have nothing to say that wasn't already said over here.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I believe that it is up to the individual person. Everyone is different. With me my patron often appeared in my dreams. The main pantheon I connect with is the Egyptian. That is what worked for me.
                      -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

I'm a strong believer that there's rarely a "one right way" to do anything. I always say read read read, research, talk to Whomever you want to make a connection with. Other than that, do what works for you.
                        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

My typical response is summed up pretty on point with my phrase under my avatar <----

However, it can very easily be applied to both walking whatever path you so choose, as well as the roads that you take to find said path. Everyone is different, and they each have their own experiences. Though, I will recommend as previously stated by a few other members, reading up on the deity in question is always a good place to start-though I'd like to add in reading up on the religion as a whole as it's really not the best thing to go picking and choosing certain parts you like of a religion and certain parts you don't because I've noticed it tends to lead to more trouble than its worth.

Either way, do what feels right to you as long as you're doing anything illegal, immoral, or life threatening in my opinion. Good luck figuring it all out
                          Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                          Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                          sigpic

Comment

Re: &quot;One right way&quot; to find a patron/matron deity- Yes or no?

It seems there are two types of people when it comes to finding a spiritual path. some it just comes to them like falling rain or wind or snow..others they search everywhere and can find nothing,even when sometimes it would have bitten them if it was a dog...they were so close and could not see.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Re: &quot;One right way&quot; to find a patron/matron deity- Yes or no?

Originally posted by CrystalJackal View Post
                              Everyone is an individual and I feel that others have no right to tell them if they are doing something right or wrong, especially when it comes to things like this.

What do you all think?
                              Agree 100%.
                              śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                              śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Working...
                              X