Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do magic when...

So...when do you decide to go full woo?

I'm not talking a little magical thinking here or there or some right intention sort of stuff, but full-on, bust out the big crystals or the ritual salt and the fancy candles (or whatever it is you prefer) and do some major woo-woo workings?

As an example: Hubby is getting transfered to Georgia. I'd like to have a job when we get there. A job that I am qualified to do opened last week. I applied for it. The application period closed last night. By my way of thinking, this is a good time for woo--at this point, I have no other agency in this outcome; having done my part, it is now out of my hands. (I also could have done this before applying or while looking, etc with slightly different goals)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: I do magic when...

I generally go full woo whenever I break out the poppets. I plan to go full woo on Friday: fancy, engraved candles, fancy anointing oil, herbs, a poppet, a photograph, a buttload of meaningful words, the works.
    "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

Never. I built my methods on the principle that I wanted to be able to employ them without purchasing special components, conducting lengthy incantations or taking obviously ritualized actions. 99% of what I do can be done while pretending to be asleep in the back seat of a car and the other one percent can be done with a couple feet to walk around in and two minutes of privacy. Occasionally, I'll work a pendant into something if I have one of the right ones with me but not always. This may change at some point but atm, extensive ritual is a luxury that I don't indulge in.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

When I absolutely need something to come through and I've exhausted all other routes of making it happen.

But, like MO, I don't generally use (many) props either. A couple tea lights, a bowl of water, maybe some incense or an essential oil spray, and that's generally the lot of what I have to my disposal.

Comment

Usually as a last resort.

Like the other night, when I finally (after two weeks of sleeping on the floor) came to the conclusion that I need to stop and sleep in my own bed (which used to be our bed).

I got out a soft blue candle, lit some incense, and prayed at my little altar of Ganesh that just this one night, this first night, I would be able to sleep.

...and I did. But I also had a horrible dream where I woke up at 6 to go to the gym, and as I sleepily stumbled down the stairs, my SO was there with a bag. He just looked at me without saying anything, and turned around, and walked out of the door and never looked back.

Mostly art.

Comment

I only go all out when I need something big, that requires a bit of thought and preparation rather than the moment's rush of adrenaline and emotion. I don't really pull out a huge amount of materials though when I do. Everything that I use I've either made myself or have had for a long time. Every type of working I do is done with the incorporation of the runes, so unless I've trying to do something permanent or possibly a little risky, a simple piece of paper and a pencil, a patch of dirt I can trace in, or a marker to write with, I'm good to go with a little scribble, some spit, and a little bit of will.

Comment

I do it to mark occasions, like a wedding or a graduation or Christmas, or something. Or because I need help with something and I've run out of places to turn, or once I did a small working just because I hadn't done anything in a while. I'm kind of a "practice and refine" kind or person. Then again, my "big guns" are a dime-sized piece of amethyst and a 75 cent candle, so I don't know if my imput counts

Comment

Hm... I don't know if I'd call it full woo woo^^ I do use a few crystals at times, candles too, but they're all things I have lying around. I just use them for a little extra help... the smaller things I do at home with my tools. When I'm full on I'm out in the woods, I usually don't bring anything there.
                You remind me of the babe
                What babe?
                The babe with the power
                What power?
                The Power of voodoo
                Who do?
                You do!
                Do what?
                Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I try to not to use it as a last resort. I have always felt I taint my need when the only time I go full blown ritual is when I am in dire need. So I go full blown the first day of cool weather!! Fall is my time of year so I celebrate and rejoice in it. I go full woo when I have had an unexpected bit of awesomeness, or if I am feeling really low and feeling a disconnect for my Gods, and yes when I am in dire need I go full woo as well.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I stock tealights; cheap, and burn out in a couple hours so when the spell calls for the candle to burn out Im not tied to the house. I go full Woo weekly, everytime I do a tarot reading... Or when my sisters call for some spell casting. I totally stock incense too. With those two objects I am limitless.

Comment

Technically, I go woo on a regular basis, using only chime candles or maybe incense, but I only go epic woo-woo with four or more ingredients on special occasions.
                      "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

Working...
                      X