X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help Making Wet Potions

[quote author=Bjorn link=topic=1210.msg23619#msg23619 date=1292828556]
    These are all great, thank you!

So what oils should I use in case I DON'T want to ingest the potion?

And what is the difference between a tincture and a potion?
    [/quote]

In my experience, all oils can be safely blended into water simply by adding the oil to the water in a jar or whatever and shaking it up. This is how I make bug repellent for the kitchen cabinets. Since essential oils are so strong, you don't need to use that much. I've found that a cup of water becomes somewhat heavily scented by a mere four drops of oil.

The term "potion" usually refers to water-based infusions and tisanes, but I've seen it used in reference to many types of herbal preparations, including tinctures, oil blends, and even dry products such as incenses and powders.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=Clive link=topic=1210.msg23635#msg23635 date=1292835252]
      In my experience, all oils can be safely blended into water simply by adding the oil to the water in a jar or whatever and shaking it up. This is how I make bug repellent for the kitchen cabinets. Since essential oils are so strong, you don't need to use that much. I've found that a cup of water becomes somewhat heavily scented by a mere four drops of oil.
      [/quote]

What about olive oils? Grapeseed? What about the oil to water ratio (when not speaking of essential oils)?
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

[quote author=Bjorn link=topic=1210.msg23641#msg23641 date=1292841375]
        What about olive oils? Grapeseed? What about the oil to water ratio (when not speaking of essential oils)?
        [/quote]

I'm assuming you would be using these oils for their magical properties, as opposed to their typical use as bases for blends; if not, I can't imagine why you'd want to mix olive or grapeseed oils with water. In any case, since these types of oils are very heavy, I would think it would be best to use them sparingly with water, say perhaps a tablespoon per cup of water, otherwise they would merely separate from the water and float.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=Bjorn link=topic=1210.msg23641#msg23641 date=1292841375]
          [/quote]

If you want them mixed, you can just shake them before use or you can use an emulsifier. If you aren't drinking it, soap makes an easy/cheap/already-on-hand emulsifier (I use it when I make cleaners). Borax can be used as an emulsifier, but I don't use it enough to know a good ratio off the top of my head. The problem with introducing water with something that has plant materials in it is that it increases what I call the "rot factor"--it shortens the shelf life (unless you are using some really good aseptic technique). I would think that if you aren't counsuming it, the ratio would mostly depend on what you *are* using it for...

Also, I have some info on carrier oils on my blog also...as far as medicinal properties, magical correspondences and perhaps most importantly--shelf life.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I don't use carrier oils. When using an oil I'll go and get them from an apothecary I trust to get very pure essential oils then mix from there. The problem with essential oils is that you only need 3 drops of oil to the carrier oil for it to be called essential. I've had to separate carrier oil from the oils in my collection before. Yes it costs more to go and buy the oil, but for me it's worth it and I've studied under the alchemist that makes them so I know they're high quality.

From there the oil I mixed is added to lotions, water for body sprays or wear a few drops on pulse points to harness the magickal properties of the blend.
            -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
            (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

[quote author=KashakuTatsu link=topic=1210.msg24238#msg24238 date=1293065806]
              I don't use carrier oils. When using an oil I'll go and get them from an apothecary I trust to get very pure essential oils then mix from there.[/quote]

I use very few essential oils...I get better results from infused oils if I am using them on my person. There are pros and cons to each, but (IMO) you get more of the plant's overall essence and chemical make up with an infused oil than with an essential oil--the distillation process is harsh. And, well...infused oils require something to infuse them in, hence the need for carrier oil . Its just a matter of personal preference.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=1210.msg24316#msg24316 date=1293109862]
                I use very few essential oils...I get better results from infused oils if I am using them on my person. There are pros and cons to each, but (IMO) you get more of the plant's overall essence and chemical make up with an infused oil than with an essential oil--the distillation process is harsh. And, well...infused oils require something to infuse them in, hence the need for carrier oil . Its just a matter of personal preference.
                [/quote]

^This

I like to make my own infused oils as well. I fell they work better for me since I have so much of my energy into making them! Which reminds me, I need to get some made since now I have the PERFECT kitchen window that gets very sunny!

Comment

I like both infused and essential, myself. Like Thal said, they each have pros and cons. In my opinion, essential oils generally smell nicer than infused oils - I find that when I infuse oils myself, they get a "toasted" or "scorched" smell to them. At first I figured I was using too much heat, but even with experimentation with temperature and duration of cooking, the smell remains. Perhaps I should use a different carrier? I've tried olive, canola, grapeseed, and jojoba. So far the jojoba seems to work best, but I hate using so much of it at once.

In spite of that, there is something very satisfying about infusing raw herbs in oil. It gets your hands dirtier than does dripping essentials into a vial. It seems to be an intuitive thing for me - for any given operation, something just tells me that either blending or infusing will work better.
                  -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=Clive link=topic=1210.msg24536#msg24536 date=1293161817]
                    At first I figured I was using too much heat, but even with experimentation with temperature and duration of cooking, the smell remains. Perhaps I should use a different carrier? I've tried olive, canola, grapeseed, and jojoba. So far the jojoba seems to work best, but I hate using so much of it at once.[/quote]

I use sunflower oil, no heat, for the base of all my infused oils now...just infuse over time with equal bulk of herb (single or mixed) and oil. Some herbs you might have to switch out and infuse multiple times if you are looking for scent. Depending on what I want the specific oil for, I might add other carrier--depending on the carrier, I might also add a wee bit of the essential oil that either compliments or echoes the herbs in my infusion when I'm straining. Also, I keep the herbs when I'm done to use in the bath (in a giant tea ball or drawstring bag), depending on what the herbs are, of course.

Really, I only keep grapeseed, olive oil, coconut oil (awesome for lip balms), and sunflower oil on hand...anything else, I just pick up as I need it. When I make balms, I use cocoa butter, beeswax and sometimes shea butter. I don't often make lotions because I have to net-order e-wax.
                    sigpic

Comment

Good advice, thal, thanks. I'll have to try infusing at room temperature, I've never done that before. And, reusing the spent herbs in a bath is a great idea. That might also be good for making a cold water infusion of sorts for asperging. Thanks for the ideas.
                      -Erik Erikson

Comment

During the alchemy class it was brought up that hemp seed oil has become a popular one. I use hemp oil (and all hemp products) a lot for things like dressing. It has a pleasant nutty smell and taste so it could be something to look into if you have herbs that would compliment the base nutty smell.
                        -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
                        (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

This is something I would like to learn more about. All the crap they had us do in my chemistry labs always put me in mind of an alchemist. All elements have physical properties of their own, but when we add intent... Oooooo.

Comment

Working...
                          X