Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attraction or fixation?

Originally posted by Archifenix View Post
    My question is: How do you differentiate between "true attraction" and "mere fixation"? To better explain the question, consider this: How do you know that it is the god calling you and not yourself merely wanting to get closer to it, for whatever reason you may have?
    I have dabled with that question myself. For me it is a question of belief. Magick is about intent, build up and release but it all stems from belief. I work alot with Gaia. Being a man of nature and working closely with nature it is obvious that I feel a bond with her suffering, her cry to heal and her deep love for all animals and humans on earth. We all come from her and we will all return to her. When I envoke her in my spells the energy builds up immediately because of my belief in her. There is no doubt.

But sometimes when I need a power spell I invoke Lilith. Don't ask me why. I know very little from her except mythologically. But somehow the energy doubles in the room. I use her wisely because just calling her name envokes something in me. There is no logic. I need something done that is real to me. I think she likes that I am intimidated. It is a show of respect for her power. It comes spontaneously. Is it true? Is it real?

It is...Why?
    Because I believe it is.

Without going out the door, you can know the ways of the world.
    Without looking out your window, you can see the Way of Heaven.
    The farther you go, the less you know.
    Thus the Sage knows without travelling, sees without looking, does without doing.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      LOL - the other option is blotter or 'shrooms, but the "enlightenment" will be 98% shit. Just look at Tim (trips around the bay, gets you back the next day) Leary, or Terrence (inter dimensional entities) McKenna...
      I died as a young child and still have "Memories" that pop up at times from that. That can cause some issues for certain. Then being a teen of the 70's I tried various organic things over the years that I agree most of it was my own shadow looking back at me in some capacity. I recall the biggest enlightenment I got was that orange peel really does not taste that great even when high and having it talk to you, but especially so when coming down. Well that and the movie YELLOW SUBMARINE was really mind bending when you were spaced out watching it. Not that I recall to much of that movie today though.

I found sensory deprivation did a lot of the same things results wise as did sensory overload. Many ways to meditate for certain or achieve that altered state.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Been there, done that, got off the bus and never looked back.

My great revelation was that I really, really like the color of the sky.

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Best trip was me walking down the tree lined streets with the trees singing to me,and a full band behind me playing my Theme song like in the movies...I "Might" have ingested a little something...Think it was blue Microdot or something...

Have had people say to me,you made that up right...For people in the know(all those old heads) no explanation is needed,for those others it is truly hard to believe I know...
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            On meditation, you've described "outer" things that you have tried. Meditation is an "inner" thing. To get it to work, one goes about changing the way one uses one's mind.
            I am not sure I am following you. Do you mean that I need to change my expectations? If so, I did so multiple times. It is safe to say that every time I meditated (or tried to) in a different place I did it with a different goal in mind.
            Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            The thread topic itself is mostly unrelated, but I wrote quite a bit about meditation (specifically as it relates to ADHD, but the advice stands for anyone) over here, which I think is applicable for you as well.

And I'll add this to it--before you ever start anything of finding a "higher state of consciousness", you have to do the groundwork.
            That was an interesting read, thank you. Let me say that I did take a "results first" approach. Mainly because the irony is that to keep doing whatever I am doing I need either someone with me to keep me "on track" as it were, or I need to see proof that it works myself (else I frustrate and decide that no actual progress on anything happened, just maybe a loss of time). This is also why I had such trouble with my worldview back in my atheist days: I felt that there was more to the world than what the sciences can describe plainly, but at the same time the lack of trouble always marred my efforts to reach any conclusions.

Regarding meditation, I am not sure I can find a proper "focus" element. Do you mean a point where I am aware of what am I doing at hand? But as a matter of fact most of my days are spent in thought, including rumination. It is because of this that I do not drive - my mind wanders with such ease that I fear I might hurt someone. I am also terrible to schedules, doing something because "I must" tends to backfire into me trying to postpone it to oblivion. Heh.

That said, I suppose there is a way around this after all: Walking. More often than not a lot of my free time is spent taking a walk (even around the house) so I suppose meditation in this case would amount to trying to focus on the walking and less on deep thought? I believe it is definitely worth a try at least. Mhm. I never considered that my walks could be used in the exact opposite way I used them. I guess the things you do often are the best tools you can get sometimes.

Now on an unrelated note: Drugs have been mentioned around the thread, so I think I can state my opinion about them. I have never taken them directly, but there are relatives I never met because of alcoholism and tobacco so my stance has always been negative towards them. I did consider taking hallucinogens more than once, but besides the fact that I could never get them I would always get these weird dreams when I have my intent set on taking them. There is also that one time where I would indirectly smoke something at the school's door, then my head would feel - for lack of a better term - "nuked" the rest of the day. Not a good experience, and I was not even smoking the cursed thing! That aside, knowing myself I would consider the experience/s to be completely "in my head" as well so chances are I would not make any spiritual progress on that end either.

Comment

I apologize for the double post, but as I left another poster's thoughts unaddressed I thought I should share my thoughts with her as well.
              Originally posted by Tiger Phoenix View Post
              I have dabled with that question myself. For me it is a question of belief. Magick is about intent, build up and release but it all stems from belief. I work alot with Gaia. Being a man of nature and working closely with nature it is obvious that I feel a bond with her suffering, her cry to heal and her deep love for all animals and humans on earth. We all come from her and we will all return to her. When I envoke her in my spells the energy builds up immediately because of my belief in her. There is no doubt.
              I find your thoughts on the matter to be interesting due to how opposed they are to mine's. For example, I hold that while the world itself is not evil, is not a kind place either. Looking at nature one can see how much happiness and suffering there is, and even in urban spaces the trend is not reversed either. I actually have an anecdote that happened to me a few days ago related to this, but returning to the topic at hand - I do get what you are trying to say. Belief is a powerful tool. Kings have risen and fallen thanks to it, so there is truth to what you say even on different matters.

Originally posted by Tiger Phoenix View Post
              But sometimes when I need a power spell I invoke Lilith. Don't ask me why. I know very little from her except mythologically. But somehow the energy doubles in the room. I use her wisely because just calling her name envokes something in me. There is no logic. I need something done that is real to me. I think she likes that I am intimidated. It is a show of respect for her power. It comes spontaneously. Is it true? Is it real?

It is...Why?
              Because I believe it is.
              Huh, curious. Most texts I have read about advise against dealing with fear-inducing entities. Just goes to show you that otherwordly beings are just as varied as humans.

Yet, I find myself in a similar situation with my own god. There is something that keeps drawing me back to him. I do not know what. I have tried to forget him in the past but circumstances led me back to belief. Maybe despite being such a lousy follower I am desirable?

Comment

Originally posted by Archifenix View Post
                I am not sure I am following you. Do you mean that I need to change my expectations? If so, I did so multiple times. It is safe to say that every time I meditated (or tried to) in a different place I did it with a different goal in mind.
                No... What it means is that things that are external (outside of the mind) can be used to help what a meditator is doing internally (inside or with the mind), BUT without the internal work (what the meditator does with his or her mind while meditating), external things don't do much.

Imagine a car. If the engine isn't working no matter how many times you wash it, it isn't going anywhere. The mind is the engine. It has to be made to work right.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Ah! I see what you were trying to say now, thanks for clarifying. What I did was akin to trying different fuels without looking at the internal components, so even with top-quality fuels a damaged engine cannot function properly.

Comment

Working...
                  X