Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What is "meditation" and how do you do it?

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Experience and Insight

Re: What is "meditation" and how do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    This is also what meditation is for me. In the thread on Ego (http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...and-Psychology) I'm preparing something directly related to this idea...
    I definitely forget and don't care about my 'ego' in these moments, I just exist, or existence exists, in my deepest meditations.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by THANK... View Post
    I definitely forget and don't care about my 'ego' in these moments, I just exist, or existence exists, in my deepest meditations.
    Ego, as I am defining the word, is "the sense of existence" (Ego = I, not Ego = what I am or what I am doing, or my feeling of self worth). What you are experiencing is not "forgetting" or "not caring" about your Ego (that would be defining "ego" as - if I understand you correctly - your connection or relation to the world).

What you are actually experiencing is Ego, in the absence of connection or relation to the world.

The word "Ego" is used in different ways, in different contexts, by different people. This is why it is important to precisely define the term as it will be used in the context of our conversation before using it. Your definition is not wrong, per se - it is one way in which the word is used - but it is not the way I am using it (which is also correct), so we are speaking confusedly.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Experience and Insight

What I was referring to by 'ego' is attachment; I am letting go of my attachments to any- and everything and finding my 'True Nature' (void, eternal silence, gnosis... it's like a trance but devoid of desire).

In your terminology, I definitely find my Ego and fall in love with its boundlessness. I always saw the term ego as attachment (Buddhism) or hedonistic existence (LaVey), different aspects of 'I' in a limited sense. If I understand you correctly, in a different way 'I' really can mean connection 'to the rest of it all' without attachment to being or becoming.