Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is "meditation" and how do you do it?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is "meditation" and how do you do it?

For me meditation is anything that keeps me focused in the moment, aware of my breath, my body, and environment, whether I am in a 'Zen' state at work, practicing my Bagua, playing music, energetic practices, or just the traditional practice of sitting or standing and just breathing and letting thoughts pass by with as little intention as possible - learning to let go of the practice and just doing what I am doing with full sense of presence moving from breath to breath.

Comment

Originally posted by THANK... View Post
      For me meditation is anything that keeps me focused in the moment, aware of my breath, my body, and environment, whether I am in a 'Zen' state at work, practicing my Bagua, playing music, energetic practices, or just the traditional practice of sitting or standing and just breathing and letting thoughts pass by with as little intention as possible - learning to let go of the practice and just doing what I am doing with full sense of presence moving from breath to breath.
      This is also what meditation is for me. In the thread on Ego (http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...and-Psychology) I'm preparing something directly related to this idea...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        My dad was a big fan of Dr. Dyer, way back...

But I've nevr looked into him. Maybe I should.
        Absolutely. He was a very good thinker who had some excellent spirituality. Sadly he passed away this last year.

Comment

I have to say B. De.,that my state of mind(chilling in the moment) is the reason I never had a "Postal moment" while I was in the working world.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think because of my bi-polar, I can't actually mediate.

But I can focus.

But you don't want that.

Really. We never want me to focus. It's just gonna end in tears and me giggling in a corner. :devil:
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              This is also what meditation is for me. In the thread on Ego (http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...and-Psychology) I'm preparing something directly related to this idea...
              I definitely forget and don't care about my 'ego' in these moments, I just exist, or existence exists, in my deepest meditations.

Comment

Originally posted by THANK... View Post
                I definitely forget and don't care about my 'ego' in these moments, I just exist, or existence exists, in my deepest meditations.
                Ego, as I am defining the word, is "the sense of existence" (Ego = I, not Ego = what I am or what I am doing, or my feeling of self worth). What you are experiencing is not "forgetting" or "not caring" about your Ego (that would be defining "ego" as - if I understand you correctly - your connection or relation to the world).

What you are actually experiencing is Ego, in the absence of connection or relation to the world.

The word "Ego" is used in different ways, in different contexts, by different people. This is why it is important to precisely define the term as it will be used in the context of our conversation before using it. Your definition is not wrong, per se - it is one way in which the word is used - but it is not the way I am using it (which is also correct), so we are speaking confusedly.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

What I was referring to by 'ego' is attachment; I am letting go of my attachments to any- and everything and finding my 'True Nature' (void, eternal silence, gnosis... it's like a trance but devoid of desire).

In your terminology, I definitely find my Ego and fall in love with its boundlessness. I always saw the term ego as attachment (Buddhism) or hedonistic existence (LaVey), different aspects of 'I' in a limited sense. If I understand you correctly, in a different way 'I' really can mean connection 'to the rest of it all' without attachment to being or becoming.

Comment

Working...
                  X