White with a 'Fro? Wadda ya think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White with a 'Fro? Wadda ya think?

OK, Cracker. You get yourself a 'Fro, or cornrow your hair, or maybe some natty dreads.

Obviously, it's pretty much the same as running around wearing blackface, right?

Or is it?

I dunno, I'm bald. I don't even care, truthfully, but maybe I should???

Wadda ya think?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: White with a 'Fro? Wadda ya think?

Le sigh...I think everyone has always wanted the hair they didn't have. Remember Shirley Temple curls? Putting in rag rollers like Laura Ingalls Wilder? I think that making hair a racial thing is usually silly--if you look at various cultures over history, I'm pretty sure you can find about every hairstyle in every culture at some point in time. When I was a teenager, one of my bffs was biracial (or as it used to be okay for her to say, "mixed"), and I went and got braids with her, so we could match. Not a single person in the place thought it was odd, thought it was "cultural appropriation", or thought it was racist. Including her father, who offered, her aunt (who did my hair), her aunt's friend (who did my friend's hair) her grandma (who took pictures), or her brother (who just wanted to make fun of his little sister and her friendlike he usually did). Actually, her family thought it was pretty terrific.

When I worked at summer camp AND when I was in the Navy, girls would do each other's hair all the time--they certainly didn't care about race...they did each other's the way they knew how to do it--how they would do their own hair or their sister or cousin or bff's hair. As a result, one of my favorite hairstyles is a french braid with a two-strand twist...its easy and its cute, and when I take it down, my hair looks pretty. I'm shallow like that. Heck, just last year, my daughter's friend and her wanted to match, but when Chickadee was upset about not being able to do a puff ponytail, her mom and I figured out that we could use a technique used to give straight doll hair curly hair on Phee's head...her friend and her were ecstatic about having the "same hair".

Click image for larger version

Name:	10152344871591772.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	352935

Plus...curly hair runs in my family. I didn't get it (I have a slight wave and a predisposition to frizzing with humidity) and neither did the kiddos...but my cousin and her dad (my uncle), my great-grandma... I had a neighbor that had natural fro--a blond haired blue eyed little girl with the curliest hair you ever did see. You do your hair based on two things--what kind of hair you have, and what kind of hair you want. Cultures--ALL cultures have forever been borrowing from whatever culture they come into contact with, those things that they find attractive and useful...its part of who we are as humans, as mammals, and as animals.

The mistake we are making is conflating cuture with race. They are not the same thing. They can overlap, and even overlap in their entirety, but they are not the same thing.
    Last edited by thalassa; 06 Aug 2015, 03:35.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Seems to me this is kinda trying to keep the 'them and us' distinction... I don't get this. I really don't. Sure there's a history to it, but trying to label something exclusively black seems silly somehow. A white woman wearing a 'black' hairstyle isn't disrespectful... she probably just likes the style... to me that just means it's socially acceptable to wear it like that, regardless of colour...

And afros aren't really exclusively black. I dated a guy with a huge blond afro, no matter what he did it just stayed that way.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

My thought is that, yes, their conflicts between cultures and it would be in everybody's best interest to reduce them as much as possible, BUT there are those who have a vested interest in driving the wedge in deeper. They do that by enforcing separation in the guise of ethical issues (one of which is the taboo against "cultural appropriate" in terns of PC "styles").

I do not see where things helps things. I do see where it harms them.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I have wavy hair(Yeh I still have a full head of hair) and I always wanted straight hair because wavy is harder to take care of..BUT other people always said they wanted my hair. I was,before the gray got in strawberry blond,hazel eyes. (ya gets what ya gets) I should add I have more than a few mixed ethnic roots,mainly Europe(French,English,Irish,Italian and Dutch) my kids added German and Russian from my ex's side. My mother called us Hines 57 Have to go back a ways to know what that was.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=heinz+57
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

It's hair. HAIR! Get over yourself.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
              It's hair. HAIR! Get over yourself.
              ^this.........
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

It BTW grows other places besides your head...Imagines a 'Fro in the nether regions..or corn rows...hmmmm or "Ironed" hot hot hot...damn that burns....
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  It BTW grows other places besides your head...Imagines a 'Fro in the nether regions..
                  No. I've seen that. And just... just no. nop.
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    It BTW grows other places besides your head...Imagines a 'Fro in the nether regions..or corn rows...hmmmm or "Ironed" hot hot hot...damn that burns....

Mostly art.

Comment

People seem to imagine that human cultures are like the bacteria cultures in carefully labeled Petri dishes preserved in a lab.

They aren't. People live in the real world, and any cultures that live in the real, wild, out-side-the-lab world, mix, they co-evolve, some even die.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        People seem to imagine that human cultures are like the bacteria cultures in carefully labeled Petri dishes preserved in a lab.

They aren't. People live in the real world, and any cultures that live in the real, wild, out-side-the-lab world, mix, they co-evolve, some even die.
                        ...bacteria can exchange their plasmids, even when they are different species. Not always, but it happens.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Didn't our mitochondria, so necessary to the life of our cells, come from outside?

I think that that, maybe, is the metaphor we should use when we think of cultures mixing...

Comment

I understand the issues of privilege and institutionalized racism in our society, and that there are people that have an issue with this in respect to various ethnicities and their respective cultures, whether it be hair or belly dancing or whatever. I just can't help but thinking that this is such a minority group of people though. The people that I know in the real world that thinks this way are a minority within their minority. Outside of the internet echo chamber, I'm not sure that this is a big deal.
                            A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
                            --Albert Einstein

Comment

This is total insanity, and an excuse to create more issues where there really aren't any. By this thought process, does this mean that African American people should not be allowed to wear Polo shirts or eat Polish food or go see a movie about Asian ice skaters because Caucasians created the shirts, Poland is traditionally Caucasian, and the movie is about Asian people and so therefore they couldn't relate? The list can go on and on in all sorts of directions, and it's utterly asinine. By stating "You can't wear dreads because you're White" is racist. And to hell with the comment that "reverse racist doesn't exist because to be racist you have to have power" or any other crap like that. Restriction based upon a perceived racial identity is racist. Period.

Just stop trying to stir the pot because you feel the need to puff yourself up and feel self righteous.

Comment

Working...
                              X