Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet: Good or Bad?

What the title says...

I'm sure we can all agree its a mixed bag...but does it average out to be good or bad in the end?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Internet: Good or Bad?

Having grown up with no internet until about almost 30,it seemed very exciting and adventurous,but it now seems VERY commercial. (I am glad for forums like ours though,best part of the interweb)
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Uh...

It depends on the user. For me, it has been great. I get to talk to people I'd never meet in real life about things that few people around me think about. On top of that, I can find information about almost anything I have even a passing interest in quickly.

Some people, though, use it badly - to assault anonymously, to spread false information, to connect for nefarious purposes, as a replacement for independent thought.

All technology is good or bad, depending on the hand that holds it.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It's been my experience that the internet is the biggest experience in anarchy our world has ever seen lol

It's definitely a double sided coin. It makes so many things so much easier in our lives for things such as: research projects, keeping connected with loved ones, making new friends, connecting our planet as a whole, sharing experiences, helping network business ventures, connect businesses across states and countries so that they can stay on top of running properly, and thousands of other really fantastic things.

However....on the flip side of that coin...well...there will always a few rotten apples at the bottom of the barrel going "well, lets see just how far we can push the bounds of being a complete and utter twat" and that's where you get the straight up trolls baiting people just because they can and want to rile people up for the fun of it, the bullying, the death threats, the sneaking around and getting into information they shouldn't such as doxxing or hacking businesses, the spread of CP (which they're trying their damnedest to shut down all over thankfully), and people getting into stupid fights over ideology just because they can and there's no one to stop them.

Overall I think it's done more good than harm for us in the long run and as long as we can either help society realize that they need to police themselves on the bad stuff or we finally learn to stop feeding the trolls it will only get better. I know there are several times I wouldn't be here if it weren't for the friends I've made over the internet and I sure as hell wouldn't give that up for the world.
        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
        sigpic

Comment

On average, good. It'd be better if most of the people dealing with it understood it better.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

On the whole, I think it's good, for information, entertainment, and connecting people. There is some crazy crap out there, but what can you do? I'm at the point where I can't live without the internet.
            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

To me, it depends on what one is using the internet for.

It can be an incredible force for good, an incredible force for bad, and an incredible force for egotism or for selflessness.
              A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

I need the internet. I don't leave the house, so it's basically my window to the outside world. I really doubt I'd stay sane without it at this point.
                From my point of view it's entirely good and is a necessity.

Also, hi everyone, long time no see
                Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post
                  I need the internet. I don't leave the house, so it's basically my window to the outside world. I really doubt I'd stay sane without it at this point.
                  From my point of view it's entirely good and is a necessity.

Also, hi everyone, long time no see
                  Hi! Wow, it seems like a lot of people are drifting back lately (including me!).
                  Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Bloody marvellous for accessing information and ordering things. Also for keeping in touch with friends and making new friends.

No so marvellous in that I keep being invited to view people's dinner on facebook.
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

If you are a person with a weak constitution, EVERYTHING will be bad for you.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                      X