No announcement yet.

If animals are sentient, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If animals are sentient, what to do?

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
    Which makes me sound like one of those over the top people who wont even step on a bug.
    I guess I am one of those people. I won't knowingly choose to kill something unless I absolutely have to, and even then I'd give it serious thought and likely be depressed afterwards.

I don't know if animals are sentient or not. I don't need to. I do know that nothing wants to die, so I won't be the one to cause death if I don't have to.

So, if it was definitively proved that all or some animals were sentient, my life would not change (though I'm sure at least one other person in my house would stop eating meat. That'd be nice). Likewise if the opposite was proved.

(as an aside, I know plants are alive too and I kill them. I do feel bad about having to do that as a physical necessity. Difficult to empathize with something so alien though, so I'd choose killing a plant over killing an animal)
    Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

I feel bad culling seedlings.

I see no real distinction between a tree and cow, in terms of who has more value to their life.

...actually, I'd probably pick the tree (unless it was an invasive species or the cow was an endangered heritage breed).

Life is life. And everybody gotta eat.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I like animals,BUT, and this is a big BUT...I also like eating meat,and I do from time to time ponder the spiritual aspect of killing to eat,BUT still I really like my turkey sandwich with a little honey mustard.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          I see no real distinction between a tree and cow, in terms of who has more value to their life.
          ...actually, I'd probably pick the tree
          Life is life. And everybody gotta eat.
          Like I said, it's just a lot harder for me to put myself in a plant's metaphorical shoes, seeing as they're so different. I ought to see their lives as equal to my own, following my own philosophy, but I just can't.

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          I like animals,BUT, and this is a big BUT...I also like eating meat,and I do from time to time ponder the spiritual aspect of killing to eat,BUT still I really like my turkey sandwich with a little honey mustard.
          Breaking my own rule of not commenting on other peoples' choices here, but...I just don't see enjoying the taste of meat as a good enough reason for killing something.

Comment

Is is my opinion at times that different people "Taste" or "feel" or even "Smell" the world differently. I like bacon,but others find the taste not to their liking. Our senses may interpret these things in other ways..But I do like Turkey sandwich,and I do not find myself feeling evil as I do so.

Also I will Never argue with a Vegi person on this subject.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              I feel bad culling seedlings.
              Me too. I've never told anybody, for fear of being seen as a weirdo.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                I like animals,BUT, and this is a big BUT...
                I like big butts and I cannot lie ...

The whole killing to eat thing, I'm over it. Moose kill grass when they eat it, birds gobble down worms without a thought, wolves tear into that very same moose to eat ... Everything kills to eat. Why should I be any different?

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post
                  ..I just don't see enjoying the taste of meat as a good enough reason for killing something.
                  There aren't any Grand Cosmic Rules. Everybody makes his/her own choices, then justifies them, somehow.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post
                    Like I said, it's just a lot harder for me to put myself in a plant's metaphorical shoes, seeing as they're so different. I ought to see their lives as equal to my own, following my own philosophy, but I just can't.
                    I am Groot!

Comment

Oh Behave!!!

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                        I am Groot!
                        ...Now I feel guilty. Poor Groot.
                        If all plants were like Groot, I'd have a much harder time with the ethics of eating veg xD

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          Me too. I've never told anybody, for fear of being seen as a weirdo.
                          I won't touch petals of flowers. I was told our heat on the fingers makes them wilt and die. I never pick them either. I just lean over and stick my face all up in them. (We have rose bushes about 5 feet tall. Comes right up to your face)
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I agree that they are, to varying points, depending on each species' individual intelligence. Cats definitely are, as Mugin-Hugin said; when I take out my phone to take a picture of the smart one, she knows exactly what I'm doing. She will roll over and show her adorable belly, or otherwise pose more cutely. Even if I had been looking in her direction for hours prior, she definitely reacts to the camera.

I treat animals with respect, as they're living things with feelings. However, if something is threatening me or my home, I will defend myself (just as I would with a human). If mice get into my place, I do live trap them and drive the trap somewhere reasonably far from where I live, and let them go. But flies, fleas, mosquitoes? I kill them. They spread disease and or physically harm me or the pets. I leave spiders alone, unless I start getting a lot of spider bites, because those can become huge medical problems.

As far as eating meat goes, we're omnivorous animals. Is it hypocritical of me to eat the meat of some animals and not others? Probably. But, I do it anyway, because I know I can't be a veggie (tried it once, didn't work out). My opinion on you won't change if you choose not to eat meat or any animal products--that's up to you. It's the people that try to make their dog or cat vegan that make me upset. Dogs and cats are carnivores--all you're doing is torturing them. If you don't want your pet to eat meat, get a hamster or fish.
                            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                              I treat animals with respect, as they're living things with feelings. However, if something is threatening me or my home, I will defend myself (just as I would with a human). If mice get into my place, I do live trap them and drive the trap somewhere reasonably far from where I live, and let them go.
                              I get mice every once in a while, mostly when the seasons change. I don't really bother to trap them, as with three cats, that's basically all the rodent protection the house needs. Of course, only one of them bothers to go after them. I've sat here and watched a mouse run across the living room while two of my intrepid hunters did little more than acknowledge the intruder.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                                I get mice every once in a while, mostly when the seasons change. I don't really bother to trap them, as with three cats, that's basically all the rodent protection the house needs. Of course, only one of them bothers to go after them. I've sat here and watched a mouse run across the living room while two of my intrepid hunters did little more than acknowledge the intruder.
                                I'm not sure if either of mine would. They barely react when I throw a jingly ball at them.
                                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                                X