Morality: What is YOUR Line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morality: What is YOUR Line?

Morality,a simple word,BUT what Does it mean to you? Where do you draw the line as to what is acceptable and what is not?

So,what is the limit for you..No personal attacks,just your boundaries.

So Have at it.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Morality: What is YOUR Line?

Truthfully can't give you my boundaries for they vary from subject to subject and influences upon each subject.

Can't say I wouldn't kill because I served in the military knowing I might have to. So yes I could and was prepared to kill if needed. Yet I can't say i'd murder a person though I have to admit it has crossed my mind as a form of payback or retribution when I've been wronged. Considered but not viable as an action.

Can't say I won't lie because I've used white lies or little lies at times perhaps even out and out full lies. I've lied every time I've refused to answer honestly questions such as "Do you like this outfit?" "Do you think i'm fat?" and a thousand similar questions.

So no hard and fast boundaries to draw upon or be trapped within.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I don't abuse or hurt or degrade others who are less then me in weakness, health, situation, mentality etc. Those above me get my full face. It's just up to you how you wanna see it.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

It's a very complicated subject, therefore I won't be able to give you my boundaries accurately. I think for me it's just doing the right thing every moment. For instance I would or would not stop a fight between two kids - depends on the reason. If I see that's an unfair fight (and it actually happened before one day when I finished my school day), where they can't settle this themselves - I'll play my part but if there is a risk for me to be hurt then I pass forward.

Or... The line between parenting and abuse, for instance. This is a subject that is important to me. There is a bold line between spanking lightly or scolding and shaking the kid like a piece of cloth to and fro. From own experience. What I passed wasn't parenting at all. How do I know the line when it comes to my sister, at least? Simply by listening to her voice. Every child has its own way of speaking and its own language. By spending time with the child, one learns the child's language. This way I can know and be there for my sister when it goes too far. It's not only with her, but with my parents as well. They have their voice levels as well. It's common in the Russian community to use physical behaviour as teaching or parenting. Or at least it was.

What I don't understand is why many of the Russian families abuse their children (yes, I know "abuse" is a strong word but here it fits) and many others don't.. And I learned to differ these 2 kinds of families more or less.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Morality is not really a hard line of what one does in a specific instances as a few have already posted. For me, it is taking responsibility for your own actions and those you are above, its about being honest but not honest to a fault, that one should care for those beneath you, support those beside you and propel those above you who deserve it and tear down those who don't for they should not be above anyone if they themselves can not take responsibility, lead with honest and lead with courage. That children should be cared for but not wrapped in bubble wrap. That one can not and should not try to control the choices of another and only intervene if it would mean harm to another other then the one making the choice.

Comment

My morality is a combination (I hope) of strength and compassion. There are times when strength is necessary, but not cruelty. And there are times when compassion is necessary, but not naive stupidity.
            And I have learned that I am still learning about all this. And always will be.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              My morality is a combination (I hope) of strength and compassion. There are times when strength is necessary, but not cruelty. And there are times when compassion is necessary, but not naive stupidity.
              And I have learned that I am still learning about all this. And always will be.

I like this, so I'm just going to steal it.

It seems I have no moral objection to stealing good ideas.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Take with compassion, give with humility.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Stand by whatever I commit to, and live it.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    I like this, so I'm just going to steal it.

It seems I have no moral objection to stealing good ideas.
                    Feel free!
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Here's my morality in a nutshell:

1) Does doing this thing bring harm to another person? If yes, I try my best to not do it.
                      2) Does doing this thing bring harm to me? If yes, I try to avoid it.
                      3) Does doing this thing help another person? If yes, I try to do it.
                      4) Does not doing this thing bring harm to a person? If yes, I try to do it.

There are grey areas, of course, but those are the major guidelines. Compassion and mercy are very important to me, and I try to show them when I can. But I also was a doormat once in my life, and I don't let my compassion extend to you walking all over me. I'm also a strong believer in justice, and that inaction can be just as bad as deliberate cruel action at times.
                      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post

There are grey areas, of course, but those are the major guidelines. Compassion and mercy are very important to me, and I try to show them when I can. But I also was a doormat once in my life, and I don't let my compassion extend to you walking all over me. I'm also a strong believer in justice, and that inaction can be just as bad as deliberate cruel action at times.

I think its a mistake that our culture considers compassion and mercy to be something that is weak, something that can make you a "doormat" (to borrow your phrase). Compassion and mercy always comes at the cost of something else. And sometimes the priority in whom we have compassion and mercy for needs to be ourself.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          I think its a mistake that our culture considers compassion and mercy to be something that is weak, something that can make you a "doormat" (to borrow your phrase). Compassion and mercy always comes at the cost of something else. And sometimes the priority in whom we have compassion and mercy for needs to be ourself.
                          It is a shame. It wasn't my compassion that made me a doormat, but by not having boundaries, and not having a place where I would stop someone from taking advantage of my kindness. Having a relationship where someone stomps all over your heart in golf shoes will help fix that problem, should you have it.
                          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Emotionally and psychologically, I'm at a point where I will always try to help. But if you consistently refuse that, I move on. If I care about you (Friends, family, etc), then I will always be there should you approach me, but I will let you fall if you make no effort to help yourself. I take care of my business and let you take care of yours, provided it is not harming anyone. If you refuse to take care of it and it starts to affect my business, then we have problems. For example, my brother is sticking his head in the sand about certain issues, and he refuses to talk to me about them, so I just let him do his thing. But he is now taking it out on my children, and that is unacceptable.
                            Another example: one of my parents is mentally ill and has a series of traumatic events that leaves them with stunted social and emotional capable skills. I continue to try to have a relationship with this person, but for those times when this person is completely unable to treat me with any positive aspects, I take a temporary hiatus until they apologize, and then we work it out.

When talking physical morality, I'm of the belief that if someone attacks you, use enough force to subdue them. However, I realize I may be naive, because I have never been in a proper fistfight. I'm also of the belief that you do not physically go after someone when you are angry, man or woman.

As others have said, there is no hard line when it comes to morality. I use compassion and balance as my compass for each situation, and I like to err on the side of "mercy", but I make it clear that I expect them to not repeat the situation.
                            ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

The problem with having a "hard code" of morality is that:

A. Once the code is known it can be used against you,
                              and
                              B. It requires the removal of specific context, which leads to bad decision making.

Most people, realistically, have general rules, but set them aside when circumstances warrant (whether they admit it or not).
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X