Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you make a living?

Originally posted by WrachDrui View Post
    From leaving college I was a Dental Surgery Assistant working for the Health Authority in my early career, based in clinics in hospitals, and community based health centres, for 2 London boroughs, which I did for 2 years, until I had a major car accident, then I couldn't work in that position any more.
    While recovering, I went to Uni and did a business studies diploma, and wrote a business plan for a relative, and helped her to launch her business (an arts and crafts retail unit). And took a career break to raise my 2 Sons.
    My last qualifications are all in pharmacy dispensing, which I did for 8 years until we relocated to Wales.
    Currently living off my savings, and getting a few paid gigs (as a harpist).
    11 years until I hit retirement, so I'm keeping my options open and hoping something nice springs up before too much longer although I have to admit, I'm not rushing to find anything.
    Feels like I'm at some kind of crossroads and the future hasn't revealed itself to me yet!
    That's a very unique career track - playing gigs as a harpist. I don't even think I've met a harpist ever, let alone seen a harp in person!

Music and arts sound like very good hobbies/side stints for extra income and the thrills. Are there job prospects for you as a pharmacy dispenser where you live now? Just to have a steady day job while you pursue your interests.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynica the Ageless View Post
      That's a very unique career track - playing gigs as a harpist. I don't even think I've met a harpist ever, let alone seen a harp in person!

Music and arts sound like very good hobbies/side stints for extra income and the thrills. Are there job prospects for you as a pharmacy dispenser where you live now? Just to have a steady day job while you pursue your interests.
      yeah, looking back, it seems a bit of a crazy mix, I guess...
      not many harpists about, really, I only know of 2 others within 100 miles of me, and that's living in a Welsh county too, where you might think there were loads. I often get people say to me it's the first time they saw and heard one.
      I'm never going to make a decent living out of music or art and craft, it's just "pocket money" and pays for luxuries and extras.
      I could apply for local pharmacy work, especaiilly in the hospitals, but I'd probably have to re-train as I've been out a number of years now, and things are changing all the time. Don't feel "pulled" to return to it though, guess it depends on how desperate I become as time passes!
      Think I fancy a new challenge, before I get too old to cope with it!

Comment

I work in central sterile as a tech in my local hospital. I clean, prep, pack, sterilize, and deliver reusable medical instruments from around the hospital. I really enjoy my job most days. I love being out of customer service. But I'd really like to be a stay at home mom for awhile. Which might be on the horizon in the next 5 years, so we'll see.
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
        X