How do you make a living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you make a living?

I cook in a fine dinning restaurant in a 4 star hotel. I don't call myself a Chef because I'm not the exec of anything. At this time there is only one station I am not a 100% on. My passion and life blood as you will is pastry. To say I am passionate about what I do is an understatement. I am more then sure I have drove a few people crazy. An idea that has taken root in my brain lately is to learn the other side of the hotel. I know want more then a small slice of that pie. I want to learn all the mechanics and functions of the hotel. I want both sides. So my ideal job would be to find something where I can work both with food and with people.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

My company calls me a support worker, outsiders call me an enabler or carer. What I actually do is look after house shared by 5 people with various learning disabilities and/or mental health diagnosis, while they're (usually) asleep at night. I do general admin (typing up care plans, writing risk assessments, keeping hospital admin sheets up-to-date, putting the month's policies and procedures on the desktop so staff can review them, checking the finances... and whatever else comes up) and although it's mainly just going over the bits the residents have missed, I do some cleaning tasks too.

Of course, my most important role is in giving emotional, practical and sometimes medical support to the residents. Whether it's attending someone who's gone into a seizure in their sleep, or being a listening ear to someone who's upset or anxious and can't sleep, I can be called upon at any time during the night, and when I am, the other jobs don't matter anymore.

It suits me really well. There are obviously health risks and lifestyle issues to take into consideration, and I do my best to address these and minimize the risks. On the whole though, I'm really satisfied. I earn a living wage (at least for this part of the country, where the cost of living is low), I have job security, my colleagues are amazing, the house is beautiful with bags of character and working alone, at my own pace, without anyone breathing down my neck is heaven! I usually get a good hour or two to myself (more if I want it, as I can just rush through my jobs instead of taking my sweet leisurely time), in which I usually do some light yoga, my 'mother's milk' ritual and then sit and do my Japanese writing/grammar workbooks. I'm also usually listening to Japanese podcasts, lectures or audiobooks while I work, and I watch grammar/vocab tutorials or dramas while I iron. So although I work full-time, I've been able to keep up my exposure to Japanese, which has been a massive boon to reaching all of my study landmarks in good time.

Honestly, I do sometimes wish I'd been better born, tried harder, stuck with teaching and so on.. but in the absence of such luck, I think I've done pretty well to find a job I genuinely love.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I've recently changed jobs and I'm working in a distribution center now under what they title "fulfillment"-but it's essentially stock stuff, clean stuff, get orders ready to go out, blah blah blah. So far the most stress free job I've EVER had. Pretty physical (constantly lifting stuff 20lbs+) but beyond easy to deal with.

However, I also run my art studio. I'm hoping that with the reopening next month I can start making a lot more money with it rather than just the occasional commission. Got a game plan set and I can't wait to put it into action
        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          ...and is it what you want to be doing?

ETA: If you are a student, etc, what are you studying and what do you want to do?
          I'm an Allied Health Assistant for a government program called Transition Care. We give elderly people the opportunity to rehabilitate from majory surgery in their own homes rather than in hospital. The program reduces the length of time patients spend in hospital and prevents readmissions. I love my job, but I'd rather be a stay-at-home-mum and work at my job 2-3 days a week.

Comment

Shop items by CottageArtsy located in Bakersfield, California. Top shop for gifts. A buyer bought a gift from this shop and gave it a 5-star review!.

I'm not sue I'd call it a 'living' since it doesn't pay well or consistently (yet), but this and writing are my primary means of employment, if only of my time. (I should be getting more stuff up in the next day or two)
            She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

I'm a business analyst for a large pharmaceutical company.

Comment

I'm a writer. I do mostly blogs and on-page content, so it's a lot less impressive than it sounds. I'd love to break into journalism and maybe publish a novel one day, but for now I'm just happy I earn a living doing what I do.

Comment

I study Swedish. I don't know what to make of it, I just had to be dumped somewhere.

Somehow I feel like a lot of hate is coming my way after posting this.

*trying to prove I'm not lazy spoiled white trash kid*
                  baah.

Comment

I don't, I'm broken at the moment (on disability), but I still say I'm a freelance writer because I do make money doing it. It's just not enough to support me. If I could support myself doing it, I would.
                    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                      I don't, I'm broken at the moment (on disability), but I still say I'm a freelance writer because I do make money doing it. It's just not enough to support me. If I could support myself doing it, I would.
                      Give it time...it took me a while to get to fully self-sufficient status, but I did.

Comment

I've been a Cop in London for the past 30 years. Roll on November for my last day in Uniform.

After that, my plans involve taking the Kids to the States for a long holiday. paying off years of accumilated debts. getting a new stove fitted in the Boat for heating and replacing the galley floor.

Then Working as a Cabbie and finally chosing my hours and no more damned night shifts and not being able to have time off when ever I want it.

The downside is, after being so instutionalised for the past 30 years, its a mean world out there when you dont have a big gang behind you

Comment

I am retired but I still teach and do some metal work. I might even perform some marriages.
                          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

From leaving college I was a Dental Surgery Assistant working for the Health Authority in my early career, based in clinics in hospitals, and community based health centres, for 2 London boroughs, which I did for 2 years, until I had a major car accident, then I couldn't work in that position any more.
                            While recovering, I went to Uni and did a business studies diploma, and wrote a business plan for a relative, and helped her to launch her business (an arts and crafts retail unit). And took a career break to raise my 2 Sons.
                            My last qualifications are all in pharmacy dispensing, which I did for 8 years until we relocated to Wales.
                            Currently living off my savings, and getting a few paid gigs (as a harpist).
                            11 years until I hit retirement, so I'm keeping my options open and hoping something nice springs up before too much longer although I have to admit, I'm not rushing to find anything.
                            Feels like I'm at some kind of crossroads and the future hasn't revealed itself to me yet!

Comment

When at a crossroads you have five options.
                              1. stand there and do nothing
                              2. go back the way you came
                              3. go ahead
                              4. go right
                              5. go left

All you have to do is choose the one you want. Three of your choices are adventures and two are comfortable - in that they are known.
                              Where does your love lie?
                              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                                When at a crossroads you have five options.
                                1. stand there and do nothing
                                2. go back the way you came
                                3. go ahead
                                4. go right
                                5. go left

All you have to do is choose the one you want. Three of your choices are adventures and two are comfortable - in that they are known.
                                Where does your love lie?
                                thank you for your advice, my greatest love is with music, but a close second is art and craft. I've done them as a hobby, I guess there could be a future in them as a career, if I apply myself harder. I have a friend who does special effects make-up for a living, makes masks, scars and false limbs and stuff (horror movie style) and she asked me if I wanted to go into partnership with her... I'm thinking it over.

Comment

Working...
                                X