Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loki

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Hellenic Polytheist

Re: Loki

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    One has to remember that the lore was written by a Christian who wanted to make Loki the devil to Odin's All Father.
    So many seem to forget that!

It's a bit like the Egyptian Set. He get's a bad press, but some Egyptian kings were named after him and he defended the Sun from evil. There was even a festival "The reconciliation of Horus and Set". In my religion, Homer was downright rude about Ares, but I celebrate his festival and donate to a military charity in his honour. I suspect that the old Norsemen called on Loki when they thought it necessary -- but cautiously!

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
    So many seem to forget that!

It's a bit like the Egyptian Set. He get's a bad press, but some Egyptian kings were named after him and he defended the Sun from evil. There was even a festival "The reconciliation of Horus and Set". In my religion, Homer was downright rude about Ares, but I celebrate his festival and donate to a military charity in his honour. I suspect that the old Norsemen called on Loki when they thought it necessary -- but cautiously!
    Yeah but don't forget that Set was also the protector of Ra! I don't know whether Loki has been a trickster since the very beginning.. But from what you all told me, he's a very good and patron.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
    Yeah but don't forget that Set was also the protector of Ra! I don't know whether Loki has been a trickster since the very beginning.. But from what you all told me, he's a very good and patron.
    Well, according to the stories, and what I've experienced, Loki surely is a bit of a trickster, and also in no small measure can be an ass. But I've grown rather fond of him, and hold him in very high respect.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Lokean/PC Pagan
    Phrase
    The only guarantee in life is change.

I'm a spouse of Loki, and I have loved being His, even though it hasn't always been easy.

I can only give you my experience with Him, but I've spoken to many others who have had similar experiences.

He has gotten me through really impossible and awful times in my life. But He has also thrust me into very vulnerable positions as a way to help me in the long run. I don't know if He puts everyone through the extremes He has with me, but maybe because not everyone lives in the same situations.
    He gives wonderful hugs. He has a fantastic sense of humor and will turn basically everything into an innuendo. He likes alcohol and smoking. He's very sexual and sensual, but He is more than respectful of people who are uncomfortable with sex. He's also very understanding of mental illness, and I've found Him to be very helpful and empathetic.
    He won't let you lie to yourself. Not forever. If there's anything you don't like about yourself, anything you hide, He will drag it out eventually.

He's sassy. :B

He's also unbelievably queer in all ways. Genderfluid and omnisexual. It's wonderful. <3

I have yet to regret my relationship with Him, even though it has come with doubt and hardship and rough patches. I love Him and I say that if you feel a pull to Him, go say hi. :P

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

Thanks you all! Loki seems to be wonderful. Yeah, probably I should contact him when the time comes.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

I kept thinking about this thread, and adding a little more to it since, when it comes down to it, like most of the Northern gods, Loki is rather complex. Whether or not he began as such initially, he has become a sort of Ganesh of the North, a deity of the misunderstood, the outcast, and the misfits.

Through his gender - bending, he has garnered the devotion of trans and homosexual folk, as well as cross dressers and the like. His ways of being misunderstood and seemingly compulsive actions have brought many who suffer from mental disabilities to call upon him, and his position as the outsider has drawn the love of those who have low self esteem and struggle to fit in.