X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feral cats. Neuter or kill?

Originally posted by Watchful Wanderer View Post
    Surely there are more ethical ways of sterilization than neutering and spaying, such as vasectomies and tubal ligation. But until our species undergoes a mass sterilization to lower our population and until we stop our urban expansionism, we probably shouldn't be one to talk of deciding who lives or dies, or who reproduces or not. After all, humans are invasive species ourselves.

Sorry if this may seem harsh, but its necessary at the end of the day, we have to be consistent.
    Can I ask you exactly what you think the ethical difference is between spey/neuter and vasectomy/tubal ligation?

Comment

I like TNR, but understand in some areas it doesn't work. I think there is no specific big solution, every situation needs to be evaluated on its own.
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Spay/neuter is basically a form of bodily mutilation(like desexing in general) which also causes quite a bit of health issues where-as vasectomy tubal ligation doesn't involve that beyond preventing pregnancy without involving desexing and the health issues it comes with.

http://retrieverlife.com/ive-change-heart-spaying-neutering/

That said, I think wild cats, like any free species, shouldn't be castrated nor killed. They should be relocated, either to a preserve, or sanctuary or their original habitat if it can still sustain them. I think you guys don't consider their side of things.
        "As long as humans continue to be the ruthless destroyer of other beings, we will never know health or peace. For as long as people massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, those who sow the seed of murder and pain will never reap joy or love." - Pythagoras

"I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown." - Homer, The Iliad

Comment

Spay/neuter is basically a form of bodily mutilation(like desexing in general) which also causes quite a bit of health issues where-as vasectomy tubal ligation doesn't involve that beyond preventing pregnancy without involving desexing and the health issues it comes with.

That said, I think wild cats, like any free species, shouldn't be castrated nor killed. They should be relocated, either to a preserve, or sanctuary or their original habitat if it can still sustain them. I think you guys don't consider their side of things.
          Questions to clear my confusion
          1 by wild cats are you talking about tigers and lions or are you talking about feral cats?
          2 if you are talking about feral cats, where exactly is their original habitat?
          3 what is the cost difference between neuter/spaying to vasectomy/tubal ligation?
          4 what is the healing time with each?

My pup was spayed and she was home a day after and was quite fine. I realize that's just me. But it's been just me with every cat and dog I've had. No problems.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Oh dear. I'd point out to you all the dodgy research in that link and provide you with some peer reviewed journal articles and reliable studies, but I honestly can't be bothered because I know it wont make a difference to your opinion. There's a very good reason that holistic vets like that one aren't highly regarded in the veterinary industry, and that link is a really good example.

In regards to relocating FERAL cats (which are entirely different to WILD cats)... I'm not sure you've thoroughly researched that particular opinion. Do you know about the social structure of cats? Do you understand about the ecological balance of a habitat? Do you understand the behavioural differences and mental wellbeing issues of animals in captivity? Don't even get me started on sanctuaries and rescue centres.

And please don't tell us that we haven't considered things from their perspective. I'm a highly qualified vet tech of 11 years who has undergone extensive extra study in behaviour. I am a shamanist who works directly with animal guides and energies and acts as a psychopomp for animal souls. I'm an Australian person who lives in a country that has lost more species to feral animals than to humans (which I happen to agree are an invasive species who needs curtailing). I live and breath animals. I live and breath my bioregion. I ground my opinions on solid research from reliable sources and an actual understanding of the delicate balance at stake here. Do you?

Comment

The problem over here is, feral cats are NOT wild cats. The European Wildcat is an endangered species here, and interbreeding with feral cats (or even house cats) really helps push down its numbers. It is an ancestor of the modern domestic cat, so it can easily interbreed, but it is still a unique species and needs conservation. Now, killing is problematic because poisoned baits can easily be eaten by wildcats and they are easily confused for feral cats at first glance, but trapping and spaying/neutering feral cats can be very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                Questions to clear my confusion
                1 by wild cats are you talking about tigers and lions or are you talking about feral cats?
                2 if you are talking about feral cats, where exactly is their original habitat?
                3 what is the cost difference between neuter/spaying to vasectomy/tubal ligation?
                4 what is the healing time with each?

My pup was spayed and she was home a day after and was quite fine. I realize that's just me. But it's been just me with every cat and dog I've had. No problems.
                1. I am referring to any felines that are not domesticated or enslaved in any way.
                2.Did I say anything about knowing where it is right this moment, I myself am currently doing some research on the subject.
                3. It depends on how skilled one is at it, unfortunately in America, few people know how to do it, so it is a bit more costly, but funds should not come before someone else's welfare.
                4.A few days.

Both of the cats I share my home with are neutered and spayed(I didn't have a say in it) and both are suffering health problems, mostly for the male who has been getting urinary problems such as crystal formation and bladder stones, if you've seen a feline with this condition, you'll know that it is very painful for them.
                "As long as humans continue to be the ruthless destroyer of other beings, we will never know health or peace. For as long as people massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, those who sow the seed of murder and pain will never reap joy or love." - Pythagoras

"I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown." - Homer, The Iliad

Comment

Wild cats are a separate specie I think..Here in the east coast

This Scottish wild cat looks a lot like our domesticated cats.

http://wild-scotland.org.uk/species/...ttish-wildcat/
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I wanna enslave my cats. As is, they are mainly freeloaders, but if I could train them to pick cotton, they'd earn their food.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Youssa Mr. B. De. sir.....points finger at you and does magic chant....

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Cats,can't live without them,can't live with them...what to do...9 lives you say?? hmmm

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Well, excuse my terminology in regards to types of cats.

Don't be so one-sided. Faulty research pervades on both sides(Honestly most pro-spay/neuter arguments are occasionally filled with so much faulty info that it could almost be on the level of a carnist argument.)

Freeloaders? I find this really ironic coming from homosapians, the dead weight of the animal kingdom who either rarely amounts to anything good anymore and mostly nothing at all aside from bastardizing everything and everyone around them. Think on that, if you will.
                            Last edited by Watchful Wanderer; 14 Sep 2015, 08:50.

Comment

Freeloaders? I find this really ironic coming from homosapians, the dead weight of the animal kingdom who either rarely amounts to anything good anymore and mostly nothing at all aside from bastardizing everything around them.
                              It was a joke. We all love cats.

meow.

Comment

Hmmm,wondering where the angry came from there...fun is fun,but when someone gets an eye pokes out....well done..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                                X