This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No (Sham)Poo--anyone try it?

The basic theory is that commercial shampoo is full of harsh chemicals and detergents and they're damaging to skin, and also they mess with the pH level of the scalp, which leads to further skin and hair issues. Chemistry aside, I like the idea of getting away from harsh chemicals and making my own products for myself, and for customers who might have sensitive skin.

But

I have super oily skin. Which means I have super oily hair. So, I liked the idea of a natural hair care regimen that wouldn't keep shocking my sebum cells into overproducing constantly. But there's an adjustment period and I just can't do it. I get like 3 days in and I have to wash with actual shampoo because I can't stand myself. Now, I'm a textbook filthy hippie with really long hair--I can go weeks without washing my hair if things are slow, and natural oils are better than any conditioner--so too greasy for me is too damn greasy.

Baking soda does nothing at all for oil production, castille shampoo is too drying, and so far my own soap nut recipe works but not long-term (for me. My mum likes it.).

So I guess my question is if anybody has tried a No Poo lifestyle and how long it took to work? Is it worth it?
    She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Re: No (Sham)Poo--anyone try it?

There's a locked thread about this already in the herbalism section: http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...hlight=Shampoo
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Ooh, sorry about that
      She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

No worries. It's locked. Read through it though. I didn't really read that thread so I'm not sure if it's going to answer your questions. I can always merge the two topics, or we can unlock the other one. Whatever works for you.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

How bad shampoo actually is (or isn't) depends completely on the ingredients inside. Some are better than others, to the point that they are chemically equivalent to a good number of "natural" shampoo alternatives. Lets face it, shampoo is 90% water anyhow...and for those of us that are worried about what chemicals may or may not be in our stuff, there are a ton of SLS free choices that aren't going to be on the dollar store shelves, but aren't unreasonable in price.

With that being said, I have oily hair and I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar. I don't use it because I have issues with shampoo or conditioner, I use it because Lush's bar shampoo and conditioner is expensive, Burts Bees stopped making my favorite bar shampoo years ago, and I am on a crusade against disposable plastics. And my hair looks good...if it didn't, I wouldn't do it anymore.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I've been no poo for 7 months now; using the baking soda and apple cider vinegar for washing.

The first couple months were hard, but it got better and after 4 months it really evened out. For me it was worth it. My hair was always too dry, no matter what kind of treatment I used, and always produced oil too quickly to go more than a day without washing. Now it only starts to get too greasy about 6 days without washing and it's never too dry.

In hindsight, I think I have the same issue with my hair as I do with my skin. It's too sensitive and doesn't react well to harsher chemicals.

Plus baking soda is far cheaper than shampoo and comes in a cardboard box which is entirely recyclable, so there's that. Plus I only use about 1/8th a teaspoon per wash, so a box lasts forever. It probably would expire before I finished the box. :P

If you decide to give it a go, I'll just say to exercise your ability to braid or otherwise wear your hair up during the first couple months. Utilize your broad headbands to cover any bad hair days and know that there are natural dry shampoos out there that can help you limp your way to the next "wash" day.

And know you can always go back to using shampoo, or even better quality shampoo, if it doesn't work out.

Comment

Tried it for a year but it became too tedious with my long hair so now I use a paraben and sulfate free shampoo and conditioner from the health food store called Jason (with a dot above the A and two dots above the O in the name). I love it. I also use a lot of Lush products to mix it up a bit and make protein hair masks with egg and avocado.

Comment

I tried it. It didn't really work for me, but I think that might be because my city has very, very hard water. I also have a very oily scalp and pretty dry hair, so my baking soda and apple cider vinegar mixture just made my hair brittle. Now I use a biodegradable shampoo. Sometimes I also use plain olive oil soap, but our hard water doesn't usually let it rinse out. Also, I try to lather around my scalp and leave the ends alone.

If you have dry hair, I'd recommend a natural shampoo or some kind of olive oil soap or shampoo product.

Comment

I've never tried no shampoo. I have thick hair and right now I am growing it out. My problem is that I get buildup on my head from the shampoo even though I don't use but maybe a pin drop of it. Maybe I should try no shampoo. My hair is pretty average. No dry or oily problems. I might try it out.
                  Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Working...
                  X