Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...3b9_story.html

I might think this should be a debate because it "Might" generate some disagreement.

Anyway,what are your thoughts(A lot in the news these days)Also,should the USA be in this concern also?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Usually I don't get into such debates but I'll give this one a shot. Europe isn't capable of helping all those immigrants. Doesn't matter if they're from Syria or Africa. Everything starts from the government. If the government didn't oppress the citizens, everything would be fine. Of course there will be never normal government in those areas. So the question is - what should the UN do about these governments?
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

The UN can suggest,but really it has no real power to control anything.

Pope says take people in(The Vatican actually going to do that)..BUT a large influx of people into Europe will in my opinion will end badly over time.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Exactly. I'm not sure about which immigrants you're talking about but let's take those from Africa for instance - there are many in Tel-Aviv. They're safe, maybe don't have the best food or beds but there were several crimes caused specifically by those immigrants. So yeah.. It's risky.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Mainly the ones coming out of Syria...running from the wars..also from Iraq...A LOT of people and deaths from extreme ways to smuggle them in.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

How it might be determined, I've not quite worked out...but...I think that countries should have to take the percentage of people in that corresponds with their culpability in causing or exacerbating the problem with their action or inaction.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Then we here in the US have stirred that hot pot way to much....I have a bad feeling though...when the economy dips,the monster "They took out Jobs" pops up over and over again.

Europe is not all that good about immigrants to start with,there are VERY right wing groups across Europe.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                Then we here in the US have stirred that hot pot way to much....I have a bad feeling though...when the economy dips,the monster "They took out Jobs" pops up over and over again.

Which is silly because they contribute to our economy. They pay taxes. They often do jobs we aren't willing to do. They often do those jobs in conditions we wouldn't tolerate (and they shouldn't either).

Case in point:
                On Sunday, the Associated Press reported worker shortages have prompted some Alabama farmers who grow labor-intensive produce to plant less, rather than have crops rot in the fields again this year. Last fall Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley signed a…

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Not withstanding all the facts,the "public" is easily stirred up.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I'm sort of in the middle of this right now. Germany predicts it will have processed up to 800,000 refugee status applications by the end of the year. As a big city, a LOT of those people are ending up in Berlin. I just got back, but I've been closely following the situation over the past few weeks. The reaction of both our government and the people here really warms my heart. Germany has stretched its refugee quota immensely and is willing to take hundreds of thousands of people. As Europe's richest country, I'm glad that it's seeing its role in this situation fairly. Although there have been negative reactions to the refugees, people have been super positive overall. It has brought a tear to my eye a number of times. In several cities, refugee centres don't even need donations and volunteers anymore because of the sheer outpour of help. People are looking into alternative ways of helping like teaching German, helping with documents and applications, and just hanging out and showing people around the city. It's seriously amazing.

That being said, Germany can't do it all alone, and this is a huge issue in Europe. Countries like Greece just can't support refugees at this point, and although some countries are doing a lot, some are not. Like Gleb said, Europe as a whole needs some help. I (and the government, and pretty much everyone else here) thinks its time that the US, Canada, Australia, and other wealthy nations start accepting more people. So far, the reaction has been pretty sad (especially in Australia...seriously).

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post

Europe is not all that good about immigrants to start with,there are VERY right wing groups across Europe.
                    There are....Hungary is NOT dealing with this well, for example (and a chunk of the people they're holding don't even want to be there...they're moving north).

That being said, you'd be surprised about the mood in a lot of countries. The British put so much pressure on its Conservative government that it actually caved and agreed to accept more refugees. Germany's government is quite conservative (but definitely not far-right) and people have been traditionally shy about immigration into the country, but views have steadily been changing over the past 10 years since I've been living here and as I said above, the response here has been pretty heartwarming. I can't speak for all of Europe because each country is very different, both socially and economically, but I think this could be great for Deutschland. We need more people, because our population has been steadily declining over the past decades and no amount of family-friendly policies seems to stop the decline entirely. Germany is pretty densely populated, but it needs a pretty big base to keep running its industrial powerhouse. On top of that, such a huge influx of people is quickly changing how people view immigration and multiculturalism. Now, the trend on those fronts has been positive over the past few years (I think the wave of people from Southern Europe after the Euro crisis hit really helped), but this could be something that could really push things in a more progressive direction.

That being said, I think it's super important that the government keep its eye on previous domestic issues. Development kind of sucks in the former east (no jobs, no hope) and there is still a lot of poverty in this country (less than a lot of other countries, but it's there). A lot of the backlash against the refugees is actually coming from the former east, and I doubt that true hate is the real culprit. I hope that when everyone is done volunteering with refugees, they keep donating their time and money to helping the homeless, underprivileged kids, the elderly, etc. I also hope the government would do -something- about the situation in the former east, because it's handled things pretty poorly since 1990.

Comment

It would seem Germany's open door policy has had to end, A shot across the bows to the other EU member states to start taking more refugees or sanctions may be imposed which will hit the eastern states hardest.

Did Germany massively underestimate the number of people heading their way?

Comment

The UK's response has been disgusting. No other word for it. I'm ashamed. These are not 'immigrants' they're refugees. They are human beings and in serious need of help. People in the UK want to take more in, by and large. Politicians don't.

It's a disgrace.
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I wonder if this will be brought up at the Republican Presidential candidate's debate on Wednesday. This is different than illegal immigration, of course - these are people who need help and are running FROM something. There are too many for any one country to help them all.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff View Post
                            It would seem Germany's open door policy has had to end, A shot across the bows to the other EU member states to start taking more refugees or sanctions may be imposed which will hit the eastern states hardest.

Did Germany massively underestimate the number of people heading their way?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...gency-measures
                            Yeah I read about that and am really sad to hear it. I guess they had to do it, though. I hope it's short-lived.

No, I don't think they massively underestimated the number of migrants...they said they expected and prepared for up to 800,000 by the year's end. I think what was underestimated was the amount coming all at once, the amount coming into specific cities all at once, and the state's ability to deal with that influx. 13,000 arrived in Munich alone on Sunday. That's a LOT of people for a single day (and it's not like they weren't coming before and stopped coming after). The city ran out of beds, so it's either put up hastily built, shoddy shelters, or have people sleeping in tents as the weather gets colder.

Germany wants to take everyone it can, but obviously, it can't take EVERYONE. The response of other countries has totally disgusted me. The EU came up with a plan to distribute refugees based on each country's economic resources and ability to do so, but some countries have rejected those figures and refuse to take anyone at all (and their numbers were small, in the low thousands...fewer people than came in to Munich last Saturday). The UK is exempt from the deal, but only agreed to take in a pitiful number. Honestly, when it said it would take some, I was hoping for better. Its response is sad, especially considering it is one of the richer countries in the EU. Denmark is even worse. But even worse than the response from within the EU is the response from the rest of the developed world. Canada, the US, and Australia have all had pathetic and wholeheartedly disappointing reactions to this crisis. This is not a European problem....it is a global problem. The rest of the world needs to step up.

Comment

PS I think this Guardian article offers a fair assessment of the current situation in Germany: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...gees?CMP=fb_gu

Comment

Working...
                              X