Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Yeah, it started way before McCarthy though. Churchill had a big hand in building distrust of the USSR and communism, for example.
    For good reason - Stalin was not at all a nice man, or trustworthy ally, or people-oriented leader...

Even the Communists eventually disowned him (which you know )
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
      Can you guarantee that the current immigrants would not have offspring who would become radicalised?

First of all, I spent 6 years in the military after 9/11. I understand the actual threat of terrorism. And the paranoia of the actual threat of terrorism.

And in this country, I fear Islamic extremists far less than I fear their less zealous but more numerous Christian counterparts of crazy.

Christians blowing up abortion clinics and pastors advocating gay concentration camps are no different than jihadis and psycho imams. Crazy people are a thing.

Stop legitimizing them.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        For good reason - Stalin was not at all a nice man, or trustworthy ally, or people-oriented leader...

Even the Communists eventually disowned him (which you know )
        Not arguing that. Stalin was pretty horrible. But the seeds of the cold war went far beyond just Stalin and his policies.

Comment

Zealots from any cause are dangerous. I have even known a few zealot Pagans. They forge hate and mistrust while believing they are above reproach.
          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
            Zealots from any cause are dangerous. I have even known a few zealot Pagans. They forge hate and mistrust while believing they are above reproach.
            Any time anybody becomes extreme in any view it is a safe bet that that person has become an asshole, and needs to be butt plugged.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              It was my opinion that it took such a long time to get bin Laden because with no boggyman,you cannot push for more war and more money and also the patriot act needed something to allow it to go through..

- - - Updated - - -

It had been hinted that they(gov) had him in their sites and did not take the shot.
              Of course the other side of that argument is he was taken out years before but needed to prevent the martyr aspect. The fact Seal team 6 was nearly all killed afterwards to some suggests they were killed to hide that secret. Just another conspiracy theory to file with all the others I suppose
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

You know how Munin-Hugin was deeply moved by little Cassidy's story? Well I have a human Cassidy. Her name is Noujain Mustaffa, and she's a beautiful 16 year old girl with cerebral palsy from Syria. I saw her on BBC news a week or so ago and she has really stuck in my mind and heart. Maybe it's just my soft-spot for people with learning disabilities, but this girl makes me proud to be the same species. Such a special soul.

I hope she gets to meet the queen!
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

We have our own basic crime problems ... ... ... "Per the FBI, there were 67,642 murders in the U.S. from 2005 through 2008, and 115,717 from 2003 through 2009. Per the Government Accountability Office, criminal aliens committed 25,064 of them. That means they committed 22% to 37% of all murders in the U.S., while being only 3.52% to 8.25% of the population."

If I go to Paris and place a phone call I would not expect to have someone say "Please press 1 for French" ... ... ... All done ... *goes for coffee*
                  Last edited by MaskedOne; 28 Sep 2015, 22:34. Reason: improving legibility
                  I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusphredde View Post
                    We have our own basic crime problems ... ... ... "Per the FBI, there were 67,642 murders in the U.S. from 2005 through 2008, and 115,717 from 2003 through 2009. Per the Government Accountability Office, criminal aliens committed 25,064 of them. That means they committed 22% to 37% of all murders in the U.S., while being only 3.52% to 8.25% of the population."

If I go to Paris and place a phone call I would not expect to have someone say "Please press 1 for French" ... ... ... All done ... *goes for coffee*
                    Actually, it depends on the country, but lots of countries do offer customer service in English in Europe. Because tourism and international business are things.

Comment

Originally posted by magusphredde View Post

Sorry??? Where I live we always get two options, pwyswch un i siarad yn Gymraeg and either Press two to speak in English, or if they are feeling chipper, you get, pwyswch un i siarad yn Saesneg.
                      There is nothing wrong with this in my view. Nor to I object to multi-lingual leaflets, or translators in the courts or government departments. What is this obsession with English anyway?

As for criminal aliens... if they commit 22 - 37% that means the rest - about 70% are committed by those who are not considered alien... unless of course, we go back a few centuries and then everyone is an alien.
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

So guess who was crying her eyes out last night? Yup I was. So We got back form swimming pretty late, a little after 10pm. Looking for something to watch, we find the new episode of John Oliver's Last Week Tonight is airing.

He touched on the migrant crisis and guess who he featured? My very own Noujain. It got better though. In an interview for abc, she had told the reporter that she learnt to speak English by watching Days of Our Lives. So John Oliver's team did a mock up scene just for her.

I cheered when he started talking about her, but then when I saw that they'd made a special scene just for that amazing young lady, I couldn't stop crying.

Queen next please!
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                          So guess who was crying her eyes out last night? Yup I was. So We got back form swimming pretty late, a little after 10pm. Looking for something to watch, we find the new episode of John Oliver's Last Week Tonight is airing.

He touched on the migrant crisis and guess who he featured? My very own Noujain. It got better though. In an interview for abc, she had told the reporter that she learnt to speak English by watching Days of Our Lives. So John Oliver's team did a mock up scene just for her.

I cheered when he started talking about her, but then when I saw that they'd made a special scene just for that amazing young lady, I couldn't stop crying.

Queen next please!
                          I saw that! I loved his segment.

I finally watched the video you posted as well. I'm glad she got to Germany! I'm sure that if she managed to teach herself English so well by watching soaps, she'll get through German no problem.
                          Last edited by DanieMarie; 29 Sep 2015, 07:22.

Comment

So...lets keep this thread for the refugee crisis, and less about immigration in general.

I'll start a thread for whomever wants to do that instead. That way people don't have to be ambushed by stuff they aren't interested in.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Just to address the comments that some refugees refused food or didn't appear "thankful" for charity that were made earlier in this thread...

As more refugees come into Germany, it is becoming clear that not all of them are poor. Some of them got out of war zones because they had the financial resources to do so. They have refugee status, but they can afford to buy their own food and clothing once they get here. They've been refusing charity not because they are ungrateful, but because they don't want to take resources away from people who actually need it. Our government has been trying to emphasize this, as some people are misinterpreting the situation.

Comment

There are a few issues that I do have with the way that the refugee crisis is being handled. For one, the fact that so many people are dying on the journey to Europe, and that this should be the focus of European nations, and not simply trying to handle flow of refugees and migrants when they get to Europe. Jordan, Turkey, Lebanon, and several other of the neighbouring countries to Syria have far more pressure on them currently than any European state I would say, and yet we seem very unwilling to help them. I personally believe that the best course of action, of course greatly simplified, is the following:
                                (1) Begin extensive cooperation and assistance with neighbouring countries to Syria. Invest heavily into resources to develop and supply humanitarian infrastructure, and make it possible for refugees to be able to stay in those areas.
                                (2) Discourage people from trying to make the dangerous and deadly journey to Europe through both 'advertisement', for lack of a proper word, in the countries most migrants are coming from, and working in general to dissuade and stem the number of people taking the journey - even if it means sending some back from whence they came - In addition to better enforced and tougher border regulations, and screen individuals to ensure they are actually refugees under international law, or even Syrian, as many are not even technically refugees.
                                (3) If at all possible, establish safe areas throughout Syria to provide humanitarian aid, supplies, and shelter. In some areas this may require a more "peace-enforcement" approach rather than "peace-keeping".
                                (4) Offer assistance and aid in resettling displaced persons back to Syria once the fighting has reached safe and controlled levels - regardless of who wins the conflict, with exception to the, so called and self-proclaimed, Islamic State.

Comment

Working...
                                X