Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    I honestly don't know. You'd need a lawyer with experience in the area to know...

Haha complicated.

On another topic, only 8% of Syrian refugees polled in Germany plan on staying. The other 92% say they want to return to Syria when it's safe to go back. So for all of the people who are freaking out about "Muslims taking over our culture", they probably need not even worry: http://www.thelocal.de/20151008/refu...t-stay-forever

I guess in those cases, it's probably best to find places in Europe, as it's much closer. But not all of the refugees are coming from Syria. A lot are coming in from more long-term conflicts in places like Afghanistan, Somalia, and Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      MO prolly knows better about this than I do, but I don't think the federal government can dictate to states on this, anymore than Germany can dictate to Greece.

We have a thing called "state's rights" that limits what the Feds can do in individual states.
      Thal is probably the one to ask here. States are significantly less sovereign than EU members but they do have a decent degree of voice. I just don't know if they get a say here.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        Thal is probably the one to ask here. States are significantly less sovereign than EU members but they do have a decent degree of voice. I just don't know if they get a say here.
        From what I understand from when I worked for the Red Cross, the State Dpt determines who gets refugee status (and refugees are different than migrants), once they come here they are handled by a resettlement agency (usually a non-profit). In technicality (from what I understand), states (per the 1980 Refugee Act) can refuse to take people, but because of the manner in which they are resettled (thought a 3rd party) they don't really have any enforcement ability. And if they did, I think it would be a violation of the 14th amendment (which has been interpreted that non-citizens are protected under the Constitution) and freedom of movement (which has been determined in a number of SCOTUS cases).
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post

The loss the world suffered in war was unfathomable, but nearly half a million Americans died, many of those in countries occupied by forces that didn't "piss on our harbor".

I've only weighed in because I felt in some cases this thread like some others in the Path has taken a wreck less anti American turn. I should resign myself from this one and just wait until the next one comes along, probably about how they way we take in migrants will be all wrong.
          The reason I quoted 'American money and Russian blood' is because although the US lost nearly half a million Americans, the Russians losts 20 million people.

I'm not anti-American - in fact, look at my post again and you will see that I didn't spare the UK's behaviour either.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

News from Canada: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle26713562/

What's wrong with you Canada? Seriously....

Comment

They want to restrict their aid to those who are not dangerous, violent or radical? It is the same thing I would do before letting you in my home.
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

And how could this be proved to one's satisfaction?
                Or couldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                  They want to restrict their aid to those who are not dangerous, violent or radical? It is the same thing I would do before letting you in my home.
                  Except it trusts neither the UN nor the Citizenship and Immigration department to screen and vet refugees, both of which have far more experience in that area than the Prime Minister's office.

Let's not kid ourselves. It's an election year and Harper and the Conservatives are playing up the politics of ignorance and fear. TWO people have died within Canada's borders due to terrorism since September 11 (and I still think that tying both of those to islamic terrorism and not domestic issues is debatable)...TWO. Compare that to numerous unsolved cases of missing and murdered First Nations women over the past few years, for example. The Conservatives want to play up fear and ignorance to win votes and distract people from things that are actually happening in Canada, like continued racism, a sinking economy, and stripping away their rights and freedoms.
                  Last edited by DanieMarie; 09 Oct 2015, 08:16.

Comment

I don't trust the UN, NATO, or any other pseudo-government agency to have my best interests in mind. The UN has moved known terrorists into the USA. I don't think their system works well.
                    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Well, Canada has always worked with the UN and enjoyed a fairly secure global position and good relationships with other countries and it has never experienced major problems because of it. Once upon a time, we were a highly respected country in the International community that was admired for its ability to work with other countries and global organizations. Unfortunately, the Conservative party wants to change that. And even though more and more Canadians are buying into the culture of xenophobia, most Canadians do not.
                      It's junk like this that Canadians used to criticize and make fun of about the US, and now it's going down in our own country. Most of us STILL DO NOT WANT TO BE THAT COUNTRY. Unfortunately, the first-past-the-post voting system lets the Conservatives get in with a minority of the vote (less than a third of Canadians actually vote Conservative).

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                        Well, Canada has always worked with the UN and enjoyed a fairly secure global position and good relationships with other countries and it has never experienced major problems because of it. Once upon a time, we were a highly respected country in the International community that was admired for its ability to work with other countries and global organizations. Unfortunately, the Conservative party wants to change that. And even though more and more Canadians are buying into the culture of xenophobia, most Canadians do not.
                        It's junk like this that Canadians used to criticize and make fun of about the US, and now it's going down in our own country. Most of us STILL DO NOT WANT TO BE THAT COUNTRY. Unfortunately, the first-past-the-post voting system lets the Conservatives get in with a minority of the vote (less than a third of Canadians actually vote Conservative).
                        Same in the UK.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                        I don't trust the UN, NATO, or any other pseudo-government agency to have my best interests in mind. The UN has moved known terrorists into the USA. I don't think their system works well.
                        Then who are you going to trust?
                        And how is the UN or NATO a 'pseudo government agency'?

Comment

One Major issue these days is not trusting official Gov. Over the years people have learned to not trust the Gov for many reasons. Think back to some things the Gov did that were almost criminal. the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment,where they told mainly black men they were cured when they were not,to see the long term effects of it. There have been many examples where people remember and do not trust,and in a way can you really blame people.

The Study
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Well, Canada has been different for a long time. Although the government did a lot of terrible things in the past, there was a big shift in the 60s. The Conservatives like to romanticize the "old days" of Canada, which is when things like residential schools and Japanese internment happened. And they wonder why so many people don't trust them.

But if Canada can vote in a progressive government, I think people will regain trust in the systems that served them so well for so long.

But yeah, both Canadians and Americans tend to forget that we're very different, when it comes down to it. How people feel about government in the US isn't necessarily how Canadians feel about government, and vice versa.

Anyway, refugees. Here's hoping another party gets to lead in the House of Commons, because then maybe something will be done to help.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                              One Major issue these days is not trusting official Gov. Over the years people have learned to not trust the Gov for many reasons. Think back to some things the Gov did that were almost criminal. the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment,where they told mainly black men they were cured when they were not,to see the long term effects of it. There have been many examples where people remember and do not trust,and in a way can you really blame people.
                              Governments are made of people. People make mistakes. People have agendas and biases.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

If it were white people fleeing from a war torn country there would be no controversy over the content of their character or intentions. You could bring out every control to stop terrorists in this country and the Conservatives will still scream bloody murder about brown people coming in this country.

Comment

Working...
                                X