This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Gahhh I can hardly believe some of the nonsense on Facebook coming from people I grew up with lately.

Most of you know me, but for those who don't, I grew up in Canada (west coast). My town is a really divided mix of really, really left-wing people (Island hippies and spillovers from Vancouver's urban liberal culture) and staunch (Canadian) conservatives. That being said, I never really knew people to ridiculously racist or sexist beyond the standard misinformation that you get in small towns. There are people who were ignorant and pretty ridiculous, but they were never *hateful*.

But lately, it's like things have changed for a certain subset of the people I grew up with. It seems to come from a specific crowd that moved to Alberta after high school, and I don't really get where it's coming from. First it was the sheer racism. Posts about how Europe was becoming a "hellhole" (and not wanting to believe it when I said that I've lived in a major European capital for 12 years and that it's not like that) and how Canada should "watch out." Hating Trump like the rest of Canada, and then saying that we need to put a hold on accepting immigrants from Muslim countries. And sometimes, it the racism gets really, really hateful. I'm sorry, but I CANNOT believe that Edmonton has descended into that kind of chaos sheerly due to refugees. Canada as an entire country has accepted about as many refugees as the city of Berlin has on its own, and it's not like we're burning. It's just really frustrating to read. It's like these people believe everything they read online and take it as fact, unless it's coming from someone who doesn't agree with them (even if they've experienced what they're supposedly afraid of first-hand). Then it can't possibly true.

Then there was the blatantly anti-gay post from a friend visiting Van. The billboard he posted is honestly laughable. It's caused controversy in conservative American states (http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/op...lace-in-dallas) but I didn't think we cared about stuff like that. I thought "Maybe it's just me...in Berlin we have billboards like that everywhere, all the time, and no one cares." But then I brought it up with my mom and a couple of friends from home, and they were like, "no, most people find that a non-issue."

And today there was a post about asking fathers to marry their daughters. I mean, WTF? If you want to, fine...whatever. But to criticise not doing it? What year is it again? Honestly, if my fiance had asked my dad if he could marry me before asking me, I would have been kind of pissed, because it has nothing to do with my dad. It's not his choice. It's my choice. My parents heard about my engagement from me, and I don't see how that can possibly be "disrespectful." I'm a 32-year-old woman with her own agency.

Sorry, sort of a random rant, but it's weird. It's kind of a form of conservatism that didn't used to show its face where I was from, and suddenly it's all out on the open.

I wish I had stayed off Facebook permanently.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Non political rant. The UK has - apparently - a shortage of lettuces. Why does anyone care? I don't eat bloody lettuce in February. I'll eat leeks, carrots, cabbages... and rice pudding which I like. And soup and custard.

But not bloody lettuce. It's too cold!
    Germany too. And tomatoes, aubergines, zucchini and other things grown in Spain are super expensive because of the frost they had. Meanwhile, I'm laughing, because I belong to a co-op and only eat local, seasonal produce. Plenty of beetroot and parsnips to go around!

Comment

That sounds like Kansas! For all the people saying "No one really thinks like that", there are people like my cousin, who opposed stamps that commemorated Ramadan, because she didn't want to support "The Muslim president's agenda", and all the other churchy redneck stereotypes.

As far as that particular billboard in that particular, in that particular place, Americans have a LOT of hangups about sex and the body. I mean, look at our sex education (i.e. I was five months pregnant and in college the first time anyone showed me how to use a condom), our breatfeeding controversy, the way we treat hormone pills etc. We can't even really accept the fact that STRAIGHT people have sex for fun. Fwiw, there's aren't any advertisers willing to pick up Tindr, let alone Squirt

Comment

Originally posted by Chessa View Post
        That sounds like Kansas! For all the people saying "No one really thinks like that", there are people like my cousin, who opposed stamps that commemorated Ramadan, because she didn't want to support "The Muslim president's agenda", and all the other churchy redneck stereotypes.

As far as that particular billboard in that particular, in that particular place, Americans have a LOT of hangups about sex and the body. I mean, look at our sex education (i.e. I was five months pregnant and in college the first time anyone showed me how to use a condom), our breatfeeding controversy, the way we treat hormone pills etc. We can't even really accept the fact that STRAIGHT people have sex for fun. Fwiw, there's aren't any advertisers willing to pick up Tindr, let alone Squirt
        I'm so glad I'm in Australia. I mean we jave a long way to go too, but at least we teach sex ed.
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Chessa View Post

Yeah, I think Canada still has a long way to go. That being said, medically accurate sex ed is required across the country. The friend who complained about the billboard said he'd have a problem with it if it was a guy and a girl and that it was just too "suggestive," but I doubt it. I'm willing to bet he consciously thinks that, but our culture is totally awash with sexually suggestive heterosexual imagery. I doubt he would have even noticed it.

Comment

OMG! We didn't find out until today what time my dad's surgery is tomorrow. I could hit the people upside their damn heads!
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I'm upset that Yulin is back. In case if you're not familar with Yulin, Yulin is a festival in China where they torture dogs and eat it. I saw a petition on Facebook on one of my Facebook friend post. I mean how could people be so evil about torturing innocent dogs then devour it for the fun of it. Why I ask Why?!

Comment

Only one real question BMH,before you read about it on Facebook,did you even know this was a thing..or are you now so upset because your "friends" on facebook brought it up?

It says that(from Googlr) this practice has been going on for hundreds if not thousands of years..I will agree that it is a barbaric practice.

- - - Updated - - -

Only one real question BMH,before you read about it on Facebook,did you even know this was a thing..or are you now so upset because your "friends" on facebook brought it up?

It says that(from Google) this practice has been going on for hundreds if not thousands of years..I will agree that it is a barbaric practice.

In answer to your question "I mean how could people be so evil about torturing innocent dogs then devour it for the fun of it. Why I ask Why?!

All I can sat...humans are a mine field.as I pointed out in another post.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post

It says that(from Googlr) this practice has been going on for hundreds if not thousands of years..I will agree that it is a barbaric practice.

- - - Updated - - -

It says that(from Google) this practice has been going on for hundreds if not thousands of years..I will agree that it is a barbaric practice.

In answer to your question "I mean how could people be so evil about torturing innocent dogs then devour it for the fun of it. Why I ask Why?!

All I can sat...humans are a mine field.as I pointed out in another post.
                  I knew it was a thing back then but I thought they stop it for good but I was wrong about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait thousands of years? I thought it was all started in 2010.
                  Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 25 Feb 2017, 21:37.

Comment

The eating of dogs goes back a LONG time..before they had a festival about it...as I said humans are "mad as hatters" sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

Also this kind of cruelty is not just against dogs..we boil lobster "ALIVE" also crabs..Never visit a slaughter house if you are a meat eater. Humans eat other living things...Rabbit was a big popular dish until people decided to make them pets...Pigs(pork) is a popular meat but now some people have pigs as pets...times change and people "Might" change...But some will die before they give up eating certain meat.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      The eating of dogs goes back a LONG time..before they had a festival about it...as I said humans are "mad as hatters" sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

Also this kind of cruelty is not just against dogs..we boil lobster "ALIVE" also crabs..Never visit a slaughter house if you are a meat eater. Humans eat other living things...Rabbit was a big popular dish until people decided to make them pets...Pigs(pork) is a popular meat but now some people have pigs as pets...times change and people "Might" change...But some will die before they give up eating certain meat.
                      lobster, crabs, rabbits and pigs I get but dogs?
                      Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 26 Feb 2017, 06:01.

Comment

All are living creatures but we decide some should not be killed and eaten. I am a meat eater,BUT there is a price to the consumption. In some countries Monkey is eaten,called "Bush Meat". Pidgin is eaten as "Squab" Part of the objection is we here have the option of having "Pets" and see these animals as off limits for eating. Even as a meat eater,I have limited myself to only certain "Meat" For some other cultures dogs are not seen as a taboo meat,also cats are not seen in the Taboo. Remember some humans went as far as eating each other,the ultimate Taboo.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                          lobster, crabs, rabbits and pigs I get but dogs?
                          Dogs have been on the top of the menu in quite a few areas of the world. The ease that you accepted crabs, lobsters, rabbits and pigs to your list in some areas would be looked at in disdain for some just as you look at dogs on their list in disdain. Seen dog on the list every where in The Philippines but also saw monkey on more than a few lists there as well. People I know who served in Vietnam claim dog on a stick was a common meat. Nearly every major festival had it and at times you'd swear it was an aspect of certain festivals.

A lot of the issue is cultural. In the west we tend to think of dogs as pets and don't eat our pets. India thinks of cows as sacred and don't eat their sacred animals yet we do. Many middle eastern nations do not eat pork as they are dirty due to religious reasons but we eat them. Well some of us do others do not but not specifically due to the dirty reason.

Then there are animals that are eaten in the country areas that most urban and city people wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole but country people eat regularly. Yet some of them would never touch some of the so called market produced or sold meats.
                          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                            Dogs have been on the top of the menu in quite a few areas of the world. The ease that you accepted crabs, lobsters, rabbits and pigs to your list in some areas would be looked at in disdain for some just as you look at dogs on their list in disdain. Seen dog on the list every where in The Philippines but also saw monkey on more than a few lists there as well. People I know who served in Vietnam claim dog on a stick was a common meat. Nearly every major festival had it and at times you'd swear it was an aspect of certain festivals.

A lot of the issue is cultural. In the west we tend to think of dogs as pets and don't eat our pets. India thinks of cows as sacred and don't eat their sacred animals yet we do. Many middle eastern nations do not eat pork as they are dirty due to religious reasons but we eat them. Well some of us do others do not but not specifically due to the dirty reason.

Then there are animals that are eaten in the country areas that most urban and city people wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole but country people eat regularly. Yet some of them would never touch some of the so called market produced or sold meats.
                            I understand that eating domestic animals is cultural in some countries but there's a differences between what's acceptable and crossing the line.

Comment

Depends quite a bit on whose line it is...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I hear cats are (or at least have been, in the past) on some menus as well. Some Asian cuisines, I think.
                                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                                Sneak Attack
                                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                                X