This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

I spoke french in my early years when my grandmother lived with us,but have lost it over the years.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

We've had a couple roaches in our house. I am admittedly terrible at cleaning. I do dishes about once a day, and there's still usually a sinkfull of dishes left at the end of any given day. I cleaned our kitchen from top to bottom yesterday, threw out any food that they could have possibly been accessing, am buying a ton of totes/storage containers for food, so no more opened boxes of cereal/etc just sitting out. I probably threw out 6 or 7 bags of garbage between the food I through out and decluttering our kitchen (it wasn't like that was mostly garbage, just a build up of STUFF that we don't need). I sprayed outside with raid and we spread a boric acid and diatomaceous earth mixture inside on the widows, under the sink, on the edges, etc.

We bought a bucket for our trash can and are going to be taking it out daily. We are rinsing dishes and putting them in the dishwasher immediately. We are no longer keeping a cat litter container under the sink for compost and just taking it out to the outside bin immediately, and same with recycling. We're literally changing out cleaning lifestyle overnight. I bought paper plates and bowls to get through a few days while I go around cleaning the rest of the house (which isn't that bad since we recently deep cleaned everything but the kitchen and basement when we moved rooms around) and outside.

I want to buy a bait poison of some sort to put under our sink (there was quite a bit of roach poop under there, that I hadn't noticed until cleaning yesterday) but I'm worried about our cats eating poisoned roaches. We have three cats, two big dogs. We've never had a bug problem. We live in Iowa, so roaches happen occasionally, but it's pretty uncommon and kinda socially stigmatizing if people find out. UGH
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Good luck with that Shahaku. I think the reason that we never had roaches is that they are just very hard to get where we live. They are in some older buildings, and you can get them in an apartment if someone moves here from a roach prone area and they stow away. The only people I know that have had roaches have been pretty tidy and clean in their habits. We can get pretty casual about it because we just don't worry about it.We would probably be in a world of hurt if we moved somewhere with higher humidity. That said, I do live in an area where everyone gets mice, it's an ongoing battle. Purging, exterminators, cats, and we never get more than a few months peace.It wears you down. I know we aren't the exception in the area, but it's still miserable and embarrassing.

Comment

Roaches tend to come in with brown paper bags from grocery stores. They can also come in with boxes when you buy bulk items. The paper bags are a rare item now days but you still come across them occasionally in some areas. Definitely a pain to get rid of once you have them. Heaven forbid you have relatives that have them and visit you, try as they might not to bring any with them seems one or two come along. Same with you staying a night or two with them, shake everything out to make sure nothing comes back and into your own home.

Our biggest thing is probably mice as well. Even though we live in the mountains we have large open meadows around us so get lots of field mice. When it rains or gets really hot they tend to try and come in. You find them in the out buildings and the cats or other "animals" tend to keep them down out there but the population still gets large pretty quick. Not just your house either but get into the engine area of your vehicle as well. Tear up wiring, insulation, filters to make their nest right on the engine.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
            I want to buy a bait poison of some sort to put under our sink (there was quite a bit of roach poop under there, that I hadn't noticed until cleaning yesterday) but I'm worried about our cats eating poisoned roaches. We have three cats, two big dogs. We've never had a bug problem. We live in Iowa, so roaches happen occasionally, but it's pretty uncommon and kinda socially stigmatizing if people find out. UGH
            ...from my professional (as an industrial hygienist) position:

Look for a gel bait with fipronil or hydramethylnon, they have a low toxicity in mammals. Fipronil interrupts the nervous system of insects through a pathway that doesn't exist in mammals--its used in anti-flea products. Hydramethylnon is a metabolic inhibitor, but there has to be a ton of it ingested to reach a toxicity level for mammals--it has a really poor oral absorption rate, between 72% (in rats) and 95% (in dogs) gets secreted out. Both are potential carcinogens, but that has only been established in lab studies, which are notoriously unrealistic in terms of the amounts fed to those animals. As long as you place a bait gel properly and use them according to the directions, the hazard risk is quite low.

Also, if you have a dishwasher in addition to the sink, make sure you clean it out as well...roaches love dishwashers.
            Last edited by thalassa; 08 Sep 2018, 06:15.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              ...from my professional (as an industrial hygienist) position:

Look for a gel bait with fipronil or hydramethylnon, they have a low toxicity in mammals. Fipronil interrupts the nervous system of insects through a pathway that doesn't exist in mammals--its used in anti-flea products. Hydramethylnon is a metabolic inhibitor, but there has to be a ton of it ingested to reach a toxicity level for mammals--it has a really poor oral absorption rate, between 72% (in rats) and 95% (in dogs) gets secreted out. Both are potential carcinogens, but that has only been established in lab studies, which are notoriously unrealistic in terms of the amounts fed to those animals. As long as you place a bait gel properly and use them according to the directions, the hazard risk is quite low.

Also, if you have a dishwasher in addition to the sink, make sure you clean it out as well...roaches love dishwashers.
              Thanks. The only gel bait I could find had abamectin BI (sp?) as the active ingedient. Any thoughts on that? I might have to search online to find something else.

We had 9 days of rain straight here, with flash flood warnings, etc. We've noticed them hanging around outside other houses on our block as well and think the rain is pushing them out of the sewers, etc. It's crazy. If they're invading our neighborhood, I'm not sure what we'll do, because unless everybody treats it seriously, we'll never be rid of them...
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

I'm so glad I don't live in a place with cockroaches. Can they survive -30C? I know nothing is supposed to kill them, but I've never seen a roach up here.

Mostly art.

Comment

Thanks. The only gel bait I could find had abamectin BI (sp?) as the active ingedient. Any thoughts on that? I might have to search online to find something else.

We had 9 days of rain straight here, with flash flood warnings, etc. We've noticed them hanging around outside other houses on our block as well and think the rain is pushing them out of the sewers, etc. It's crazy. If they're invading our neighborhood, I'm not sure what we'll do, because unless everybody treats it seriously, we'll never be rid of them...
                  Diatomaceous earth; it can be a bit pricey, but its safe around kids and pets.
                  I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                  Clan of my Clan
                  Kin of my Kin
                  Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                  And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                    Diatomaceous earth; it can be a bit pricey, but its safe around kids and pets.
                    Yeah... we have this on every edge in our house. We've been taking off electrical fixtures to squirt it into the walls.

V, I don't know what temp they can survive. We get pretty cold weather here every now and then (-20-30 for a couple days a year at least, usually for a week or so) but we still get them around. They live in the sewer system a lot of the time in this area, and that never freezes. From what I understand, the colder it is the less their muscles work, which makes it easier to kill them off, but I don't know that the cold would kill them otherwise.

Comment

NOTE:

I watched as they fumigated a house once,and the roaches swarmed across the ground to a house next door,so you never know if you can kill them all.

- - - Updated - - -

they say roaches will survive an atomic blast(Who knows?)

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Yeah... we have this on every edge in our house. We've been taking off electrical fixtures to squirt it into the walls.

V, I don't know what temp they can survive. We get pretty cold weather here every now and then (-20-30 for a couple days a year at least, usually for a week or so) but we still get them around. They live in the sewer system a lot of the time in this area, and that never freezes. From what I understand, the colder it is the less their muscles work, which makes it easier to kill them off, but I don't know that the cold would kill them otherwise.
                        You know, I was curious so I actually asked around today. Apparently, every once in a while, we get them up on a truck from down south, and they end up infesting an apartment building or something. But they very rarely spread, because we have outside temps of below zero for 6+ months a year. So when they're found in a building, they just fumigate, and the problem is completely gone.

...or something to that effect. I've only ever seen roaches in Asia, actually. I'm sure they exist in southern Canada, but I've never seen one. The only nasty bugs I've ever had are carpenter ants, fleas (but that was down south), and weevils.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                          You know, I was curious so I actually asked around today. Apparently, every once in a while, we get them up on a truck from down south, and they end up infesting an apartment building or something. But they very rarely spread, because we have outside temps of below zero for 6+ months a year. So when they're found in a building, they just fumigate, and the problem is completely gone.

...or something to that effect. I've only ever seen roaches in Asia, actually. I'm sure they exist in southern Canada, but I've never seen one. The only nasty bugs I've ever had are carpenter ants, fleas (but that was down south), and weevils.
                          Canada is looking more attractive every day...

Comment

Grrr. We juggled the whole family's schedule to make sure we had a car to get my daughter to the doctor's office for her medication, and the pharmacy didn't deliver it on time. Not only is it a PITA to rejuggle everything for a second time, but she has some symptoms and needs to get her medication.

Comment

Storms,storms,storms,All over the news,and I think about the people responsible here in this senior building,that I doubt have any plan if we have a storm on this level here, being older and les able to just get up and go on my own,it bothers me that my safty or even survival may depend on people with no real understanding in this area. I was used to disaster planning in the navy,and I see no effort or plan here. this worry's me,in other storms like Katrina older people in rest homes were left to die!! Just my paranoia about being OLD.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

That is a concern. Is there anyway to find out if there is a plan in place, and if the staff is prepared to carry it out? I can't remember who you have near you who would be helpful. It might be a good plan to know the facility's plan, and have some kind of backup plan with a friend or family member. The older I get, the more invalued I feel, and the more I think about things that wouldn't have fazed me when I was younger. I'm still as okay as most in a storm, but I can see how that kind of thing will become more of an issue. I will be thinking of you as I watch the news, and will be happy to see your posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X