X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Originally posted by Sean R. R. View Post

Either everyone has a voice with equal opportunity or no one does.
    I think this is really what it all boils down to, ultimately. And right now, many people actually do not have an equal voice, though I hope we can get there soon.

And you're right, this is definitely a topic for thread of it's own. I'll drop it.
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean R. R. View Post
      All Lives, Him Too, and the Straight parade don't need to be a slap in the face. The feeling of undermining some people feel in when faced with these movements is of their own creation. Everyone has a voice, it's their right to express it. While it's of utmost importance to be careful of the needs and advancement of minorities, it shouldn't be to the detriment of the freedom of expression of others that don't fit the narrative.

Having it easy is not a reason to not celebrate what we are, our lives, or what we've accomplished, even if our obstacles are lesser than other's. Every person is an individual, and regardless of age, gender, sex, orientation, religion, or race, every individual has a personal struggle that is subjectively harder or easier than other's. Thus while any comparison made between communities can obviously make disparities become apparent, when you compare each individual you realize how arbitrary and wrong the "You're straight/white/cisgender so you have it easy" or the "You're gay/latino/trans so you have it harder" becomes.

Either everyone has a voice with equal opportunity or no one does.

A more positivist outlook in these "counter"movements would help everyone. More LGBTQ+ people participating in the Straight Parade, and more Straight and Cisgender people in the Gay Parade would only benefit everyone and create a sense of something larger. The quicker we manage to trivialize factors like sex, orientation, religion, or race in each passing generation, the quicker the injustice and difficulties these minorities live will banish. Having a Gay Parade but publicly shaming the Straight Parade is only going to increase tension and defeat the purpose of integration and trivialization for these communities.

Of course, this is highly debatable and its only my view on it.
      I'm not sure how up you are on what's happening with these in America? The problem I've been seeing across my feed all weekend, is folks participating and/or leading straight pride who fit into the Nazi category. There was an image going around of a man urinating on a Jewish flag while a friend held out a Rainbow flag for next, for instance. And I saw a list of straight pride events led by known KKK or Nazi members. It wasn't a short one. American Nazi's seem to be rallying under "straight pride" as an acceptable way to congregate without protest, after all, it would be hypocritical for you to protest straight pride when you're having gay pride next weekend, or had it last weekend.

When event like this are being used to mask hate crimes, we have a problem.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Ok I actually left a Baseball Facebook group because of the backlash I received. All I said that I hope the shooter isn't a Yankee fan because there was an ex-Red Sox player who was shot at the leg and people was making a big deal out of it. I swear to God they acted like kids in that group and I didn't want to be in that group anymore.
        Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 10 Jun 2019, 18:45.

Comment

This basketball game, holy god.
          “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            This basketball game, holy god.
            Good. The Golden State Warriors deserve that win. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
              Good. The Golden State Warriors deserve that win. LOL!
              I humbly disagree. I was hoping to watch Canadians make history yesterday.

There's still hope!
              “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

I humbly disagree. I was hoping to watch Canadians make history yesterday.

There's still hope!
                No they're not. Warriors will win all the way.

Comment

OMG! There have been so many disagreements in the rant thread lately which are okay to have, but can we at least be civil and have the attitude of agree to disagree. Maybe it's just me, but I feel there has been a few posts where there has been a more attack type attitude. For example, the straight vs. gay pride issue. BMH, no offense, when you said that straight people celebrate our straightness every day I have to disagree. Being straight is an orientation. You don't wake up and shout to the heavens, 'I'm straight, thank god!' The first thing I think about is food, my medicine, then going back to sleep if it is a work day. I think that people can have the right to through a straight pride parade like they do a gay pride parade. However, I do not see the sense in it. After all that is why one of our freedoms is the freedom of speech. I just do not want the parade have a negative impact on people if it is associated with Nazi values like Shahaku stated. When we disagree on something we should explain why we disagree then leave it at that. That is my opinion though. Sorry about the long post.
                  Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                    OMG! There have been so many disagreements in the rant thread lately which are okay to have, but can we at least be civil and have the attitude of agree to disagree. Maybe it's just me, but I feel there has been a few posts where there has been a more attack type attitude. For example, the straight vs. gay pride issue. BMH, no offense, when you said that straight people celebrate our straightness every day I have to disagree. Being straight is an orientation. You don't wake up and shout to the heavens, 'I'm straight, thank god!' The first thing I think about is food, my medicine, then going back to sleep if it is a work day. I think that people can have the right to through a straight pride parade like they do a gay pride parade. However, I do not see the sense in it. After all that is why one of our freedoms is the freedom of speech. I just do not want the parade have a negative impact on people if it is associated with Nazi values like Shahaku stated. When we disagree on something we should explain why we disagree then leave it at that. That is my opinion though. Sorry about the long post.
                    I'm being civil about it.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                      Sports rivalry is healthy.

- - - Updated - - -

No they're not. Warriors will win all the way.
                      I will bet you $5 the Raptors win.

Mostly art.

Comment

Sports rivalry is healthy.

- - - Updated - - -

I will bet you $5 the Raptors win.
                        Ok. I'll bet you $10 that the Warriors will win.

Comment

Ok. I'll bet you $10 that the Warriors will win.
                          Deal. If the Raptors win, you owe me $10 via email money transfer. If the Warriors win, I owe you $10 via email money transfer.

*shakes hands*

Mostly art.

Comment

Deal. If the Raptors win, you owe me $10 via email money transfer. If the Warriors win, I owe you $10 via email money transfer.

*shakes hands*
                            How I do that?

Comment

Of the opinions proffered, I stand closest to Junipers. We have similar debates here with Aboriginal/non-Aboriginal issues, like Australia Day. My short answer though, I will never stand in a straight parade, or attend Australia Day celebrations, or similar, because I have spoken to LGBTI+, Aboriginal Australians and other marginalised communities/individuals, and they feel that it undermines what they've tried so hard to achieve, and are still fighting to even say. If you wanna go and stand in it, have a beach party, watch the new Chris Lilley, whatever, that's fine. Go ahead. But don't ever say to me that it's "equal" or "the same" to participate in those activities.

Anyone watch NRL State of Origin? I wanna win some money haha
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Still alive just lost to twitter at times

- - - Updated - - -

greets to all my old friends
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X