This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Think I'm going to have to stop eating eggs. I don't want to because they're packed with nutrients and I already have a limited diet but I'm sick of finding embryos in them all the time. I know that's what those little red dots connected to the yolk by a ghostly chord are because we studied chicken embryos at various stages of development on my zoology course at uni. I thought eggs weren't fertilised but I guess they aften are. Maybe those of you who keep hens can elaborate on why this is? Is it just that some eggs aren't collected soon enough?

The other day I found one so far along you could see its eyes! It's not very clear and I had to zoom in, but I've included the photo I took.

I'm pro-choice so maybe I'm being hypocritical here (and part of me is thinking 'ooh delicious stem-cells!'), but I'm a vegetarian and find embryos gross anyway (it's no secret that pregnancy freaks me out). I really don't want to be eating them.

I bet this doesn't happen with eggs from caged hens...
    Attached Files
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Where the hell are you getting your eggs that you keep finding this?
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        Where the hell are you getting your eggs that you keep finding this?
        I think it's partially to do with the difference between EU and US egg requirements. They also generally don't refrigerate their eggs over there.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
          I think it's partially to do with the difference between EU and US egg requirements. They also generally don't refrigerate their eggs over there.
          That would explain it I guess. They probably get away with it because the average consumer doesn't have a degree in zoology.

As you might expect, I buy free range eggs. I don't know if it would be different with caged hens because they don't get a chance to sit on the eggs. I first noticed embryos in eggs about 10 years ago, but it wasn't all the time (I noticed that when it did happen it would be the whole box, which kinda supports the storage temperature theory). These days it's almost every egg I crack open. Not usually as bad as the little guy I found the other day, but always some early signs of embryo development.

It's freaking gross and I'm done with it. I'm going to find out exactly what I'm getting from eggs and see if I can replace it with other things.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Free range might explain things,more chance of being with a rooster. An egg has to be fertilized to create an embryo. There is a school of thought that a fertilized egg is better. And then there is the Chinese 100 year old egg(Not that long really) that has an almost fully grown chick dead inside the shell.

Fertilized eggs as healthy

Free range is considered better than caged as well by some.

- - - Updated - - -

That 100 year old egg thing.

- - - Updated - - -

So,everyone has different taste in eggs.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              Think I'm going to have to stop eating eggs. I don't want to because they're packed with nutrients and I already have a limited diet but I'm sick of finding embryos in them all the time. I know that's what those little red dots connected to the yolk by a ghostly chord are because we studied chicken embryos at various stages of development on my zoology course at uni. I thought eggs weren't fertilised but I guess they aften are. Maybe those of you who keep hens can elaborate on why this is? Is it just that some eggs aren't collected soon enough?

The other day I found one so far along you could see its eyes! It's not very clear and I had to zoom in, but I've included the photo I took.

I'm pro-choice so maybe I'm being hypocritical here (and part of me is thinking 'ooh delicious stem-cells!'), but I'm a vegetarian and find embryos gross anyway (it's no secret that pregnancy freaks me out). I really don't want to be eating them.

I bet this doesn't happen with eggs from caged hens...
              You need a friend with chooks. I dunno if i coukd eat eggs otherwise. Makes me feel sick
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Currently stuck at dfw because of a combination of idiots. Myself being one of them! I purchased Monster's and my ticket to Texas flying into dfw for my Grandfather's funeral. Well I assumed we would be flying out of the same airport we flew into... oh how wrong I was. We get to the airport just in time to get through security and as I'm adding Monster to my ticket (because it didn't when I'm purchased it) they inform me I'm suppose to be at love field. They can taxi me over there but all flights are full so no promise I can get on anything. So I have to buy another plane ticket spending a total of $600 and delta wouldnt help. Told me my ticket was nonrefundable and their cheapest ticket was $600 (which means i would have spent $800)or I could wait till 6 p.m. and pay $200 still have a layover and get to Milwaukee at midnight. Djeivjeisodjwjdjwksocjenc! No I'll fly American with the ticket I already purchased because you guys are terrible and go directly to Milwaukee. P.s. you can entertain my 3 month old.
                Last edited by kalynraye; 19 Feb 2017, 06:46.
                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

So I applied for acting school in scotland, and I didn't make it to the last audition round. I was pretty sad about that. But the competition is fierce, there are only 20 available spots.
                  The school says don't give up because of a rejection, very few get in on their first try.
                  My friends and family say well that's that, no way you'll be an actor now better get a real job.... like I haven't been working and doing classes for the past 2 years, but for some reason because I decided to try school that suddenly becomes my only option?... I'll promise I won't make it if I give up because of one rejection... rejections are 99% of this job. I don't need people telling me it's impossible, because it sure is if I don't try.
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                    So I applied for acting school in scotland, and I didn't make it to the last audition round. I was pretty sad about that. But the competition is fierce, there are only 20 available spots.
                    The school says don't give up because of a rejection, very few get in on their first try.
                    My friends and family say well that's that, no way you'll be an actor now better get a real job.... like I haven't been working and doing classes for the past 2 years, but for some reason because I decided to try school that suddenly becomes my only option?... I'll promise I won't make it if I give up because of one rejection... rejections are 99% of this job. I don't need people telling me it's impossible, because it sure is if I don't try.
                    One of the hardest things one has to deal with while finding a job is definitely the rejections. All you have to do is not let it stop you from trying and trying again and again. You know what I did that also helped me when I had to look for a new job? I kept all the rejection letters in a file. That way those negative emotions that came with these letters, will turn into positive emotions when you do end up getting what you applied for. You will feel pride and good about yourself that you were able to keep going despite of all the no's you got on your way. They will serve as a reminder of how strong and determined you are.

Hope that will help you, god willing.
                    Last edited by Dumuzi; 19 Feb 2017, 07:54.
                    [4:82]

Comment

It's probobly a blood spot. Blood spots in eggs is due to the genetics of the hen, but isn't a fetus.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        It's probobly a blood spot. Blood spots in eggs is due to the genetics of the hen, but isn't a fetus.
                        I do wonder why there are no veins (the eggs at uni had veins running though them), but there's something attaching the 'spot' to the yolk. Is that usual with blood spots?

Comment

I do wonder why there are no veins (the eggs at uni had veins running though them), but there's something attaching the 'spot' to the yolk. Is that usual with blood spots?
                          Yeah, there is.

Needless to say, eggs with bloodspots are less apetising, so you seldom see them in commercially produced eggs - hens that have the "blood-spot" genetics are removed. But you'll end up seeing them if you produce your own eggs, or go to an organic egg farmer.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Yeah, there is.

Needless to say, eggs with bloodspots are less apetising, so you seldom see them in commercially produced eggs - hens that have the "blood-spot" genetics are removed. But you'll end up seeing them if you produce your own eggs, or go to an organic egg farmer.
                            So stop buying organic is the best advice?

So conflicted now. Your explanation has been very helpful though. At least I know I'm not eating tiny chicks now.

Comment

So stop buying organic is the best advice?

So conflicted now. Your explanation has been very helpful though. At least I know I'm not eating tiny chicks now.
                              LOL - best advice is ignore the blood spot. That's what we did when we had chickens...

Comment

LOL - best advice is ignore the blood spot. That's what we did when we had chickens...
                                I sometimes wonder what people would think if they actually saw what eggs looked like when they were freshly collected? We have quite a few chicken houses in our area as well as many Mennonite farms where you can get fresh eggs before they've been cleaned up. Sometimes clean, other times all sorts of stuff all over the shells.

Still better than the ballute's or similar eggs. Couldn't stomach those have to admit.
                                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                                X