This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Is "cryptlocker" the same thing as "cryptolocker"?
    I have never heard of "cryptlocker" but "cryptolocker" has been around for at least five years. It is a trojan that lies dormant on the system until its trigger is reached and then it goes to work. If we are talking about the same code then it is probably in the backup and will strike again unless it is removed. This nasty bit of work only affects Windows based computers.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      I'm actually mildly disturbed that Cryptlocker made it onto a school network. I keep expecting state networks to be better defended.
      Email "click on me for info" virus... teachers tend to be trusting suckers. I'm not sure why our email isn't scanned - but would it catch a trojan?
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

If it is sand boxed it never would hit the main system...any attachment should be scanned and sand boxed at a minimum.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Email "click on me for info" virus... teachers tend to be trusting suckers. I'm not sure why our email isn't scanned - but would it catch a trojan?
          Depends on the trojan and the AV software. Not all AV software is created equal. Scanning your e-mail should easily be in the abilities of the district (or the state) though since it should be on school (or state) servers. Sandboxing, as Anu mentions, is also a good option. If done properly, it'll handle a number of issues. There are bypasses but bypasses will always exist. That's why defense in depth is a thing.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Ug, goodbye cruel internet! I have to take a 2.5 hour on-line class on sexual harassment for work.

omg. 2.5 hours! I told my boss I would put it on and just watch pics of wolverine or kitty kats.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Had some like that when I was still working..bigger the company,more seminars for stuff. I will say though when they did them(live lecture) they put on a really good feed...
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The building next to mine has an alarm (the back part of the building is offices, so I guess that's why) and it decided to break down at around 3 am. No one broke in, but the alarm rang periodically until 8:30 am. Needless to say, I'm *exhausted*, but I'm willing to bet my entire block is feeling pretty rough today as well.

Comment

Went out for one long walk with dogbert this morning, and I've already found three ticks on my personal person, dang nabbit!

Is gonna be a bad year fer ticks...
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I have a foot cramp. It involves the toes, the arch, the top of the foot and sorta up into my ankle. Only one foot. Been about a month by now. I have no idea what's causing it. I do know since starting my new Lipitor, it says it can cause foot cramps. But does anyone know if that could just be ONE foot. Just the left one. I keep stretching it all the time. It feels like the plantar faciitus I have (which developed only in my right foot and hasn't returned since I wear special inserts). But it's not just the bottom but the whole dang foot. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm thinking more water, stretching. I have good supportive shoes. I can walk. But I do notice that foot is sorta getting to be a lead foot. I don't lift it and articulate it all the way when I step as I do with my right. Like it's more a thud thud. I do have to make my yearly foot dr appt anyways. I also know I feel sore to the touch in the side of my heel where usually you feel the plantar faciitus. Meh.

oh and the ankle? It always feels like it wants to crack but doesn't. It's def weaker.

Comment

Bloody 'ell!

Another tick...

Comment

Holy hell, just found out I am not registered at my home address! It still has me at my mom's address. Thankfully I re-registered to my home address now. Whew!

Comment

I really, really wish my state tax return would land in my bank account already. My Federal return showed up months ago, but the state return seems to have been obliterated. A lot of other people are making the same complaint. I'm tired of being broke, dang it.
                          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                          -Erik Erikson

Comment

We got a check for $1 from the state. Our federal return was confiscated by the IRS, as it will be for the next 10 years.

Meanwhile, in other news, D. Trump pays $0 in taxes.

Comment

Yeah, I paid my back state taxes and I still haven't received this year's return.

Comment

Well, poke all those bastyges with a cactus, by gum.
                                Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                                -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
                                X