This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Somebody shared this video of a tiny, very poor Indian girl (I'd guess 4 yo) making this whole complex meal, over a fire, very impressive, etc, etc. And they're trying to shame me for being the one who spoke up and said that it's not "fun" or "cool" that such a little kid is so experienced cooking for her family. I said that it's a high likelihood that she was left to go hungry or beaten into compliance, and learned these skills under duress and that given that she's obviously a poor girl in India there's a good chance that she's being groomed to be a young bride, or sold into prostitution, and that people needed to realize that this girl was being exploited. Apparently, I'm the ignorant one...

Seriously, I know that not every person in India lives like that. But a lot of them do. And to ignore that is the definition of ignorance. And yeah, I totally believe in teaching my kids life skills. My daughter is five and we're planning to start teaching her to use the stove in the next year or so. She can already get herself breakfast (thanks, Thal) and pour her own drinks, etc, etc. She's learning to clean the house. But I let her be a kid too and I'm not marrying her off before 15.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
      Somebody shared this video of a tiny, very poor Indian girl (I'd guess 4 yo) making this whole complex meal, over a fire, very impressive, etc, etc. And they're trying to shame me for being the one who spoke up and said that it's not "fun" or "cool" that such a little kid is so experienced cooking for her family. I said that it's a high likelihood that she was left to go hungry or beaten into compliance, and learned these skills under duress and that given that she's obviously a poor girl in India there's a good chance that she's being groomed to be a young bride, or sold into prostitution, and that people needed to realize that this girl was being exploited. Apparently, I'm the ignorant one...
      That's heartbreaking! Sad that so many people can be apathetic to what's happening right in front of them; trust me, you surely aren't the ignorant one; you simply saw things for how they are. Wished there was something we could do for places like that so that kids don't have to go through those horrors.

Comment

Why the hell is it snowing again!!!!!!!!

Enough I say, enough! Turn back into rain and melt the damn snow.
        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Ideas for keeping animal hair off my work clothes and go...

Even immediately out of the drier, I'm still finding animal hair on my clothes. My boss at the funeral home talked to me about it today. I have to get this under control. We went through and dusted and vacuumed, swept, mopped, etc the downstairs this afternoon and the furniture is already visibly hairy again. One of our dogs is getting a shave now that it's warm enough, and the other will go into the groomer soon, but we still have a short haired shedder and three cats...

I'm hoping to get some sort of bag I can hang all my work clothes in, but I need to get the hair off them in the drier and find a way to get out of the house without collecting hair in the process. I literally find hair on me in the five feet it takes to get from the kitchen to the front door after using a lint roller to get it all off. I don't know where it's coming from (the animals obviously, but in between, they aren't shedding that much in 2-3 hours.)

Additionally, the baby sitter is upset about the animal hair my daughter carries into her house. My daughter literally drags her blankie everywhere and that's the worst culprit. We're working on reducing that habit, but I'm not willing to just cold turkey it, and I don't really have a problem with her having a comfort item. I've been shaking it out outside as soon as I get there and lint rolling it as well, but that only does so much. So this is the second complaint I've heard about animal hair this month, and I just want to pull my hair out. By the time I get done thoroughly cleaning one section of the house, the other is literally covered in hair again... I never get ahead of it enough to really stay on top of it. On top of school, working two jobs, and raising a kiddo, it's really overwhelming.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Can you change clothes right before you get to work or at work? Like pull your clothes from the dryer and immediately put them in the clothing bag and leave the house in normal clothes. Maybe that would help reduce the pet hair, also keep a lint roller in the bad our your purse so you can spot check when you get there. My house is a disaster, ok its not that bad but I also feel like I can never get ahead. All that baking I wanted today went down the drain as Milo only napped for half an hour today and I was not allowed 5 feet away without a meltdown.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

Anyone else sickened by modern politics? I've always leaned more towards conservatism, albeit with a lot of liberal views as well. I guess Independent or Libertarian would have described me best. Lately though, I've just kind of given up on politics; every Party pretty much disgusts me now; Fox News disgusted me so I started watching CNN; they disgusted me so I started surfing the Internet, which I was eventually also disgusted by. There's just so much hate and filth and lies and drama, not enough actual unbiased journalism; it's entertaining as all get out for a while, sure, but so are drugs and alcohol haha.

I haven't watched the news in over a year and hadn't realized how much I was feeding off all that hate and drama; it's just like an addiction. Lately, hearing about the news and hate and drama from other people has turned me into more of an Anarchist haha; I just really don't care anymore; I'm pretty sure the path most people are taking now is going to end in CWII anyway, then people can finally just do whatever the heck they want; the smart and peaceful people will probably go back to Nature, and the stupid and violent people will probably kill themselves off fighting over scraps of food like rabid animals; their former so-called high standards and moral ethics suddenly disintegrating into thin air as soon as they have to either fend for themselves or work together, seeing as they're probably too stupid to fend for themselves, and too emotionally immature to work together with anyone who disagrees with their own worldview. Normally I'd laugh, but it's really not that funny; it's kind of sad. Like a forest fire; it's violent and destructive and kind of sad, but ultimately necessary for the sustainment of the ecosystem...but definitely exciting; sometimes fun, but the novelty wears off really quickly; then it's just miserable haha.
              Last edited by Sollomyn; 17 Mar 2019, 05:38.

Comment

Yeah. Funny how quickly the fun & excitement wears off a civil war.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Yeah. Funny how quickly the fun & excitement wears off a civil war.
                  I was talking about wildfires primarily; I've fought several; they are fun and exciting at first; the Initial Attack on the fire. Then it gets miserable; the Mop Up part of the fire, (cleaning everything up; making sure there aren't any little smoldering hot spots left, etc).

In reference to civil war though, I wouldn't say the same at all; the fun and exciting part is what people are doing right now; feeding off all the negativity and getting each other all fired up over trivial stuff that doesn't really matter in the long run; the petty back and forth squabbles are the "Initial Attack". The civil war would be the miserable "Mop Up" part of the fire. If we wanted to use that as an analogy.
                  Last edited by Sollomyn; 17 Mar 2019, 06:56.

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                    Can you change clothes right before you get to work or at work? Like pull your clothes from the dryer and immediately put them in the clothing bag and leave the house in normal clothes. Maybe that would help reduce the pet hair, also keep a lint roller in the bad our your purse so you can spot check when you get there. My house is a disaster, ok its not that bad but I also feel like I can never get ahead. All that baking I wanted today went down the drain as Milo only napped for half an hour today and I was not allowed 5 feet away without a meltdown.
                    I think I'm going to get some sort of clothes storage bag, which should help on the initial amount of hair. Our cats are always sneaking into our closet to sleep in there, so it's really hard to get hair free. I'll probably store my work clothes in the office closet. With summer, I should be able to store a lint roller in my car (they don't work if they get too cold). I do have a reusable lint thing too, that kind of works. I'm going to spend spring break cleaning... And I'm creating a daily and weekly checklist for cleaning and going to pester my partners to help out more. But one is pregnant and the other feels like he shouldn't have to do any cleaning since he works full time.... Ugh.

On another note, I'd like to pick your brain on matters of Texas... It's recently come under my radar as a potential place to live in the future, but I'm conflicted.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                      I think I'm going to get some sort of clothes storage bag, which should help on the initial amount of hair. Our cats are always sneaking into our closet to sleep in there, so it's really hard to get hair free. I'll probably store my work clothes in the office closet. With summer, I should be able to store a lint roller in my car (they don't work if they get too cold). I do have a reusable lint thing too, that kind of works. I'm going to spend spring break cleaning... And I'm creating a daily and weekly checklist for cleaning and going to pester my partners to help out more. But one is pregnant and the other feels like he shouldn't have to do any cleaning since he works full time.... Ugh.

On another note, I'd like to pick your brain on matters of Texas... It's recently come under my radar as a potential place to live in the future, but I'm conflicted.
                      You know my spouse seems to go through that same problem... however I work full time and go to school so I've got him beat.

Pick away! You've got me on facebook so feel free to send me a message any time.

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                        You know my spouse seems to go through that same problem... however I work full time and go to school so I've got him beat.

Pick away! You've got me on facebook so feel free to send me a message any time.
                        Right now, I work about 30 hrs a week, go to school full time, and have my daughter half the day m-th (I work f-su). So, I'd say we're about equal on work load, but he doesn't really see it that way.

Comment

I had to complete exit counseling for university which was mostly information on my loans and how the government and corporations will come for my spine if I don't pay them, then I needed to pick a payment plan. One section was a budget builder which, using the average income of most of my friends as my projected income and factoring in rent and other payments, left me with negative $40 a month. Dropping everything down to bare bones leaves a surplus of $10. None of this included healthcare costs since my current income lets me get a free government plan, which will obviously change if I need to be making these payments. I'm also lead to believe the counseling was not displaying all my loans so the payments are likely to be higher.

The form was filled with helpful tips and ways to deal with loans. Like, it advises you to pay more money whenever possible, and if you're having trouble paying... you should still pay... but if you're absolutely unable to pay (!) you can contact people to put it off for a bit. Hey did you know you should keep 3-6 months of living expenses in your savings? What reality are the people who make these in because I'm living in some sort of dystopia.

I don't even have the degree I'm supposed to. My aide has been withheld for almost a year now after I was audited, again, for the third time. I wasn't able to pay anymore so I couldn't get books and I wasn't able to return for the next term. My caseworker won't return my calls and I can't realistically expect to find someone to help me at the university since they keep saying they have no control over it, even if I wait out the huge line for a few hours. I only have a semester of elective credits left, I finished my requirements. It would be a pretty light semester too if I actually get the credits they owe me for my internships. A 9 credit semester! This is so asinine.
                          Circe

Comment

This is so stupid. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is receiving so many backlashes because he named a tank after him.
                            Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 18 Mar 2019, 17:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                              I had to complete exit counseling for university which was mostly information on my loans and how the government and corporations will come for my spine if I don't pay them, then I needed to pick a payment plan. One section was a budget builder which, using the average income of most of my friends as my projected income and factoring in rent and other payments, left me with negative $40 a month. Dropping everything down to bare bones leaves a surplus of $10. None of this included healthcare costs since my current income lets me get a free government plan, which will obviously change if I need to be making these payments. I'm also lead to believe the counseling was not displaying all my loans so the payments are likely to be higher.

The form was filled with helpful tips and ways to deal with loans. Like, it advises you to pay more money whenever possible, and if you're having trouble paying... you should still pay... but if you're absolutely unable to pay (!) you can contact people to put it off for a bit. Hey did you know you should keep 3-6 months of living expenses in your savings? What reality are the people who make these in because I'm living in some sort of dystopia.

I don't even have the degree I'm supposed to. My aide has been withheld for almost a year now after I was audited, again, for the third time. I wasn't able to pay anymore so I couldn't get books and I wasn't able to return for the next term. My caseworker won't return my calls and I can't realistically expect to find someone to help me at the university since they keep saying they have no control over it, even if I wait out the huge line for a few hours. I only have a semester of elective credits left, I finished my requirements. It would be a pretty light semester too if I actually get the credits they owe me for my internships. A 9 credit semester! This is so asinine.
                              It sounds like this really sucks, and I know from my experiences with financial aid in school that it's never easy, and everything was fairly straightforward for me. I hope that everything works out for you, and that you are still able to get your degree eventually, even if it's delayed.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post

I know you pain and if sucks! It sucks really bad. I spent the first 5 years after graduating culinary school working two jobs so I could pay my student loans back and afford to live. Of course I was the genius who went to a for profit college and believed them when they told me I would actually make decent money to start. Only to discover that a person fresh out of culinary school would get an entry level position making minimum wage.... unless you happen to get on at a luxury hotel. Then you could make $8.50 an hour and have benefits!!

I went off on a tangent. This is not about me this is about you. It sucks, I'm sorry and I hope you are able to finish your degree. I know you will figure out a way to make it work.

P.S. the american education system blows!

Comment

Working...
                                X