X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Prolly bad teacher. How could a "soils" class be boring?
    Okay, so straight up soils can be boring. Sediments aren't nearly as cool as their parent materials.

But no. It's the instructor. It's his first time teaching first year and the class keeps accidentally becoming soils 401 instead of soils 101.

And I'm drowning under a mountain of work I don't understand. And next week we have both our lecture and lab midterms, totaling 45% of our total grade. So ya know, next Tuesday will make or break me in this class.

Mostly art.

Comment

Today At RPG webcomic another forum. I received an infraction all because I was being civil and honest about what I said. You see the fraction was that I said about some people are just too immature and can't handle a difference of opinions and they consider that flaming/trolling. How is that flaming/trolling?! I wasn't insulting anybody at that forum? I was being civil and speak my honest truth about opinions. I didn't say anything wrong. I was just speaking my honest two cents in the topic and in my eyes I feel like that the infraction was completely unfair. So I made the complaint to an admin about it in PM.

- - - Updated - - -

So anyway the admin responded and said that action was appropriate. Obviously Immature is considered an insult to the forum. I reply back by saying that I strongly disagreed with that decision and I'm not sorry for not speaking my mind about it. That forum is just touchy to handle a simple word.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the admin say that the word "too sensitive" and "too immature" is a triggered word in that forum. Obviously the forum rules makes no sense.
      Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 24 Oct 2019, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
        Today At RPG webcomic another forum. I received an infraction all because I was being civil and honest about what I said. You see the fraction was that I said about some people are just too immature and can't handle a difference of opinions and they consider that flaming/trolling. How is that flaming/trolling?! I wasn't insulting anybody at that forum? I was being civil and speak my honest truth about opinions. I didn't say anything wrong. I was just speaking my honest two cents in the topic and in my eyes I feel like that the infraction was completely unfair. So I made the complaint to an admin about it in PM.

- - - Updated - - -

So anyway the admin responded and said that action was appropriate. Obviously Immature is considered an insult to the forum. I reply back by saying that I strongly disagreed with that decision and I'm not sorry for not speaking my mind about it. That forum is just touchy to handle a simple word.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the admin say that the word "too sensitive" and "too immature" is a triggered word in that forum. Obviously the forum rules makes no sense.
        Immature is considered an insult in a lot of contexts. When we are managing and moderating a forum, we have to cater to the lowest common denominator. I wouldn't allow you to say things here that would be considered trigger items, either.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
          Immature is considered an insult in a lot of contexts. When we are managing and moderating a forum, we have to cater to the lowest common denominator. I wouldn't allow you to say things here that would be considered trigger items, either.
          I strongly disagree. Sorry but not sorry I don't really see it as an insult.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I thoughts forums supposed to have a much thicker skin to handled such a word which really proves my point and I was right about it.
          Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 24 Oct 2019, 20:19.

Comment

I strongly disagree. Sorry but not sorry I don't really see it as an insult.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I thoughts forums supposed to have a much thicker skin to handled such a word which really proves my point and I was right about it.
            It doesn't have to do with thicker skin or "being sensitive". We as moderators have the responsibility to make the forum appropriately comfortable for EVERYONE. If there are people in the forum who don't feel welcome because of someone else's actions, then it's our job to look into it.

You're welcome to disagree. You're welcome to not take it as an insult as well, but not everyone sees it that way (which is, by the way, the beauty of humanity).

If I were called "immature", I personally would be offended. If someone in the forum came to me and complained to me about something you said to them, I would be obligated to take some kind of action to correct that behaviour. Here at PF, we don't jump straight to infractions except for serious issues (or if the person is a repeat offender), but you've got to realize there's a reason your reputation bar is in the red here. It means, at some point, you said something that offended someone else.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              It doesn't have to do with thicker skin or "being sensitive". We as moderators have the responsibility to make the forum appropriately comfortable for EVERYONE. If there are people in the forum who don't feel welcome because of someone else's actions, then it's our job to look into it.

You're welcome to disagree. You're welcome to not take it as an insult as well, but not everyone sees it that way (which is, by the way, the beauty of humanity).

If I were called "immature", I personally would be offended. If someone in the forum came to me and complained to me about something you said to them, I would be obligated to take some kind of action to correct that behaviour. Here at PF, we don't jump straight to infractions except for serious issues (or if the person is a repeat offender), but you've got to realize there's a reason your reputation bar is in the red here. It means, at some point, you said something that offended someone else.
              Well, I'm not going to apologize for speaking the truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I don't see it your way either because everybody will get offended just about everything these days.
              Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 25 Oct 2019, 04:55.

Comment

Different forums have different cultures. I know forums where an accusation of immaturity is almost never* going to get a mod's attention. By contrast, calling someone out as immature on PF will probably attract my attention but not necessarily merit an immediate response. You are apparently dealing with a forum that handles things more strictly.

* I say almost never because context is king. Calling someone immature while arguing a point on SB is liable to be tolerated. Following them around the boards to call them immature in every thread they appear in or sending a legion of PMs explaining how immature you think someone is will rapidly transition from a light rebuke that none of SB's staff care about into harassment which SB explicitly bans and will get infractions delivered until the behavior stops (either voluntarily or due to infractions tripping a ban trigger).
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Well, I'm not going to apologize for speaking the truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I don't see it your way either because everybody will get offended just about everything these days.
                  Listen dude. Moderators and admins run this forum. If you don't like the rules, you can always leave. But you do have to follow them. We expect people to be at least minimally polite, which means whether you like it or not, you need to be aware of how offensive your language can be. Using words that indicate someone is less of a person is offensive. And immature is one of those words. And fact of the matter is, if you hurt someone with your words enough, regardless of whether your feel you are "telling the truth", you better be ready to apologize, or face the consequences of that action.
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                    Listen dude. Moderators and admins run this forum. If you don't like the rules, you can always leave. But you do have to follow them. We expect people to be at least minimally polite, which means whether you like it or not, you need to be aware of how offensive your language can be. Using words that indicate someone is less of a person is offensive. And immature is one of those words. And fact of the matter is, if you hurt someone with your words enough, regardless of whether your feel you are "telling the truth", you better be ready to apologize, or face the consequences of that action.
                    Err, to be fair, he's talking about an infraction received on a different forum. If he was talking about us then this conversation would've ended by now with red text. Making a public spectacle out of infractions is not actually permitted and would've netted an infract by now.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                      Err, to be fair, he's talking about an infraction received on a different forum. If he was talking about us then this conversation would've ended by now with red text. Making a public spectacle out of infractions is not actually permitted and would've netted an infract by now.
                      I realize, but if the infraction had happened here, an apology could by required, regardless of whether he felt the comment was true. It's the attitude, which I'm sure he applies equally between forums, that I'm taking issue with.
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I wasn't even talking about this forum, I was talking about another forum.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't even talking about this forum, I was talking about another forum.

- - - Updated - - -

And just for the record. I have no problem with this forum at all.

Comment

A person in my life told me to "just go to chiropractor and get rid of your anxiety and depression". That, along with the rest of the conversation, was a huge waste of my time and I actually feel stupider for having listened to those words.
                          ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I decided to have some ice cream a bit ago and now my stomach aches.
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                              I decided to have some ice cream a bit ago and now my stomach aches.
                              Oh no. Are you ok?

Comment

Oh no. Are you ok?
                                Yeah. Just been making a lot of bad food choices lately and I think my body is telling me to stop it.
                                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                                Sneak Attack
                                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                                X