Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    ...from my professional (as an industrial hygienist) position:

Look for a gel bait with fipronil or hydramethylnon, they have a low toxicity in mammals. Fipronil interrupts the nervous system of insects through a pathway that doesn't exist in mammals--its used in anti-flea products. Hydramethylnon is a metabolic inhibitor, but there has to be a ton of it ingested to reach a toxicity level for mammals--it has a really poor oral absorption rate, between 72% (in rats) and 95% (in dogs) gets secreted out. Both are potential carcinogens, but that has only been established in lab studies, which are notoriously unrealistic in terms of the amounts fed to those animals. As long as you place a bait gel properly and use them according to the directions, the hazard risk is quite low.

Also, if you have a dishwasher in addition to the sink, make sure you clean it out as well...roaches love dishwashers.
    Thanks. The only gel bait I could find had abamectin BI (sp?) as the active ingedient. Any thoughts on that? I might have to search online to find something else.

We had 9 days of rain straight here, with flash flood warnings, etc. We've noticed them hanging around outside other houses on our block as well and think the rain is pushing them out of the sewers, etc. It's crazy. If they're invading our neighborhood, I'm not sure what we'll do, because unless everybody treats it seriously, we'll never be rid of them...
    Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

I'm so glad I don't live in a place with cockroaches. Can they survive -30C? I know nothing is supposed to kill them, but I've never seen a roach up here.
    We are all these things [...]. Pride, desire, compassion, cleverness, belligerence, fruitfulness, loyalty...and guilt. But above it all stands love. And if we desire to be more than human, that is the star by which we must set our sights.

Questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my heart.

Hot Pickle!

You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

“Leaving is not enough. You must stay gone. Train your heart like a dog. Change the locks even on the house he’s never visited. You lucky, lucky girl. You have an apartment just your size. A bathtub full of tea. A heart the size of Arizona, but not nearly so arid. Don’t wish away your cracked past, your crooked toes, your problems are papier mache puppets you made or bought because the vendor at the market was so compelling you just had to have them. You had to have him. And you did. And now you pull down the bridge between your houses, you make him call before he visits, you take a lover for granted, you take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic. Make the first bottle you consume in this place a relic. Place it on whatever altar you fashion with a knife and five cranberries. Don’t lose too much weight. Stupid girls are always trying to disappear as revenge. And you are not stupid. You loved a man with more hands than a parade of beggars, and here you stand. Heart like a four-poster bed. Heart like a canvas. Heart leaking something so strong they can smell it in the street.”

Frida Kahlo to Marty McConnell

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Old Customs
    Phrase
    Damn somebody's eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    Thanks. The only gel bait I could find had abamectin BI (sp?) as the active ingedient. Any thoughts on that? I might have to search online to find something else.

We had 9 days of rain straight here, with flash flood warnings, etc. We've noticed them hanging around outside other houses on our block as well and think the rain is pushing them out of the sewers, etc. It's crazy. If they're invading our neighborhood, I'm not sure what we'll do, because unless everybody treats it seriously, we'll never be rid of them...
    Diatomaceous earth; it can be a bit pricey, but its safe around kids and pets.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Diatomaceous earth; it can be a bit pricey, but its safe around kids and pets.
    Yeah... we have this on every edge in our house. We've been taking off electrical fixtures to squirt it into the walls.

V, I don't know what temp they can survive. We get pretty cold weather here every now and then (-20-30 for a couple days a year at least, usually for a week or so) but we still get them around. They live in the sewer system a lot of the time in this area, and that never freezes. From what I understand, the colder it is the less their muscles work, which makes it easier to kill them off, but I don't know that the cold would kill them otherwise.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

NOTE:

I watched as they fumigated a house once,and the roaches swarmed across the ground to a house next door,so you never know if you can kill them all.

- - - Updated - - -

they say roaches will survive an atomic blast(Who knows?)
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    Yeah... we have this on every edge in our house. We've been taking off electrical fixtures to squirt it into the walls.

V, I don't know what temp they can survive. We get pretty cold weather here every now and then (-20-30 for a couple days a year at least, usually for a week or so) but we still get them around. They live in the sewer system a lot of the time in this area, and that never freezes. From what I understand, the colder it is the less their muscles work, which makes it easier to kill them off, but I don't know that the cold would kill them otherwise.
    You know, I was curious so I actually asked around today. Apparently, every once in a while, we get them up on a truck from down south, and they end up infesting an apartment building or something. But they very rarely spread, because we have outside temps of below zero for 6+ months a year. So when they're found in a building, they just fumigate, and the problem is completely gone.

...or something to that effect. I've only ever seen roaches in Asia, actually. I'm sure they exist in southern Canada, but I've never seen one. The only nasty bugs I've ever had are carpenter ants, fleas (but that was down south), and weevils.
    We are all these things [...]. Pride, desire, compassion, cleverness, belligerence, fruitfulness, loyalty...and guilt. But above it all stands love. And if we desire to be more than human, that is the star by which we must set our sights.

Questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my heart.

Hot Pickle!

You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

“Leaving is not enough. You must stay gone. Train your heart like a dog. Change the locks even on the house he’s never visited. You lucky, lucky girl. You have an apartment just your size. A bathtub full of tea. A heart the size of Arizona, but not nearly so arid. Don’t wish away your cracked past, your crooked toes, your problems are papier mache puppets you made or bought because the vendor at the market was so compelling you just had to have them. You had to have him. And you did. And now you pull down the bridge between your houses, you make him call before he visits, you take a lover for granted, you take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic. Make the first bottle you consume in this place a relic. Place it on whatever altar you fashion with a knife and five cranberries. Don’t lose too much weight. Stupid girls are always trying to disappear as revenge. And you are not stupid. You loved a man with more hands than a parade of beggars, and here you stand. Heart like a four-poster bed. Heart like a canvas. Heart leaking something so strong they can smell it in the street.”

Frida Kahlo to Marty McConnell

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    You know, I was curious so I actually asked around today. Apparently, every once in a while, we get them up on a truck from down south, and they end up infesting an apartment building or something. But they very rarely spread, because we have outside temps of below zero for 6+ months a year. So when they're found in a building, they just fumigate, and the problem is completely gone.

...or something to that effect. I've only ever seen roaches in Asia, actually. I'm sure they exist in southern Canada, but I've never seen one. The only nasty bugs I've ever had are carpenter ants, fleas (but that was down south), and weevils.
    Canada is looking more attractive every day...

Grrr. We juggled the whole family's schedule to make sure we had a car to get my daughter to the doctor's office for her medication, and the pharmacy didn't deliver it on time. Not only is it a PITA to rejuggle everything for a second time, but she has some symptoms and needs to get her medication.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Storms,storms,storms,All over the news,and I think about the people responsible here in this senior building,that I doubt have any plan if we have a storm on this level here, being older and les able to just get up and go on my own,it bothers me that my safty or even survival may depend on people with no real understanding in this area. I was used to disaster planning in the navy,and I see no effort or plan here. this worry's me,in other storms like Katrina older people in rest homes were left to die!! Just my paranoia about being OLD.
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

That is a concern. Is there anyway to find out if there is a plan in place, and if the staff is prepared to carry it out? I can't remember who you have near you who would be helpful. It might be a good plan to know the facility's plan, and have some kind of backup plan with a friend or family member. The older I get, the more invalued I feel, and the more I think about things that wouldn't have fazed me when I was younger. I'm still as okay as most in a storm, but I can see how that kind of thing will become more of an issue. I will be thinking of you as I watch the news, and will be happy to see your posts.