X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
    I know you pain and if sucks! It sucks really bad. I spent the first 5 years after graduating culinary school working two jobs so I could pay my student loans back and afford to live. Of course I was the genius who went to a for profit college and believed them when they told me I would actually make decent money to start. Only to discover that a person fresh out of culinary school would get an entry level position making minimum wage.... unless you happen to get on at a luxury hotel. Then you could make $8.50 an hour and have benefits!!

I went off on a tangent. This is not about me this is about you. It sucks, I'm sorry and I hope you are able to finish your degree. I know you will figure out a way to make it work.

P.S. the american education system blows!
    It really does. I hope if universal college becomes a thing they'll forgive student loan debt across the board. I know it's a long shot, but I can dream. At least with what I'm doing now, I have a snowballs chance in hell of paying of my student loan debt in this lifetime... Before it would have been a snowflakes
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
      It really does. I hope if universal college becomes a thing they'll forgive student loan debt across the board. I know it's a long shot, but I can dream. At least with what I'm doing now, I have a snowballs chance in hell of paying of my student loan debt in this lifetime... Before it would have been a snowflakes
      That would be really nice, and I can dream right along with you. I too also might have a chance of paying back my debt with this new career field, and we might be able to actually get the boys college fund rolling. We are lucky that Kp doesn't have any student loans. Just mine... all $40,000 of it is mine... and I've been paying for 10 years.
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I can't even imagine paying off my student loans, but man I wish I could...I do hope we do something about that here X_X
        hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

That would be really nice, and I can dream right along with you. I too also might have a chance of paying back my debt with this new career field, and we might be able to actually get the boys college fund rolling. We are lucky that Kp doesn't have any student loans. Just mine... all $40,000 of it is mine... and I've been paying for 10 years.
          I'm at almost 40k. Hubbie almost has his paid off. He went to community college and only had about 6k. GF has about 10k, but she also has a Masters...
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
            I can't even imagine paying off my student loans, but man I wish I could...I do hope we do something about that here X_X
            I'm gonna keep on hoping!

I'm at almost 40k. Hubbie almost has his paid off. He went to community college and only had about 6k. GF has about 10k, but she also has a Masters...
            She's got a Masters and only has 10k? That's impressive. I'm going to do my damnedest and not get any student loans for my nursing degree. Which means I will be filling out every scholarship I can find.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

Alas! Not likely in the near future. Our fearless leader's current plan for reducing student debt is to put an upper level on how much students are allowed to borrow for education.

Looks to me like that will limit the education options for people who come from unwealthy families.

No... That can't be the plan...

I'm not sure if being locked out of professional careers is better than 40 years of indentured servitude or not. Somebody smarter than me can figure that out.
              Last edited by B. de Corbin; 19 Mar 2019, 12:34.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I have about 20k left on mine and that's 10k left over from my associates and 10k from my massage schooling. I've been paying on my associates loan for almost 15 years.
                “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Alas! Not likely in the near future. Our fearless leader's current plan for reducing student debt is to put an upper level on how much students are allowed to borrow for education.

Looks to me like that will limit the education options for people who come from unwealthy families.

No... That can't be the plan...

I'm not sure if being locked out of professional careers is better than 40 years of indentured servitude or not. Somebody smarter than me can figure that out.
                  I don't know if that's the plan. The results depending on how hamfisted the gov.'t is about application will be a bit more unpredictable. Loan money isn't just a tool to get students of limited resources, it is still income for the colleges. Depending on how much of it they take in annually and how much is cut, they get two choices

A. Try and milk more money from less people. Hey. Wealthy students, you're bills are about to skyrocket.
                  B. Cut expenses so they can function off less income. Hey everyone, education is about to get worse.

Oh, I forgot, we live in a wannabe dystopian timeline.

C. Do both, raise the suckage for all parties.

After the above, other knock on effects will kick in.
                  "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                  ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Pete Buttigieg is a load of crap. He said that doesn't like Chick-A-Fil because they're Anti-LGBT but he likes their food. Total hypocrite he is. He lost my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                      Pete Buttigieg is a load of crap. He said that doesn't like Chick-A-Fil because they're Anti-LGBT but he likes their food. Total hypocrite he is. He lost my vote.
                      I didn't hear him say that so I don't know the exact context....but you know, I ate at a CFA years ago before I knew about any political affiliation, and I liked it. I won't go to one now, but it is possible to like/admire a product and be against what the owner stands for.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                        I didn't hear him say that so I don't know the exact context....but you know, I ate at a CFA years ago before I knew about any political affiliation, and I liked it. I won't go to one now, but it is possible to like/admire a product and be against what the owner stands for.
                        It was in an article on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                          It was in an article on the internet.
                          and everything on the internet is true...
                          In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

Originally posted by Oshii View Post
                            and everything on the internet is true...
                            I fact check everything just in case it isn't fake news.

Comment

It's bloody snowing!!!!!!!!! STOP IT!

Comment

It's bloody snowing!!!!!!!!! STOP IT!
                                I am so sorry. I definitely don't want to see any more of the white stuff any time soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X