The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

We had an ant problem last year. The traps with dry bait did nothing - we could hear the ants laughing at them (little, tiny hehehehes).

The we tried the traps with liquid bait.

No more ants.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    My yard is full of the little tiny ones. There are hills and holes all over. They haven't been in the mailbox this year so far, thank goodness, but I've already gotten rid of one colony that was coming in the back door. I use those Terro bait traps.
    We had a wasps nest in our mailbox one year. I'm embarrassed to think how long that went on before we realized. I felt kind of bad for our mail carrier. But then I found out that we are not the only ones on the street who are not thrilled with our mail carrier.

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

Last year we had spiders, then ants and out of nowhere, we had mice! This year I'm spraying for spiders! It took me the whole of the summer to get rid of the ants and the mice came with the cold weather. I think the neighbors outside cat departed.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

We always have some balance of the three. I think we would have to completely tear down our house and start over with pest control in mind to get rid of all of them. Might be worth it to get rid of the mice for good. I'm not sure it would work, though, because I think everyone in our neighborhood has all of them. I could live with the ants and some of the spiders, but the mice are disheartening. Right now we have no outward signs of mice, but I know better than to believe it. Cats and a dog did not help.

Jul 2014
    Religion

I think I've cleared the mice. I think, I can handle the spiders, and the ants I can tolerate but for some reason the mice really bother me. I had mice as pets so you would think this wouldn't not be a problem. Nope! It absolutely infuriated me the first time I walked in my kitchen and saw one cheeky enough to be on my counter.

I went the natural mice deterrent route in the beginning but when it just left like they were taunting me I changed tactics.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Old Customs
    Phrase
    Damn somebody's eyes

My dad used to put out a jar lid full of Pepsi or Coke instead of poison for mice. He claimed they couldn't belch and I guess sorta ruptured inside. All I know is that it seemed to work, and was safe around kids and pets.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Jul 2014
    Religion

What a fantastic idea!!!! If we get more mice next winter I will go this route.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Quote Originally Posted by kalynraye View Post
    What a fantastic idea!!!! If we get more mice next winter I will go this route.
    Try sealing up your house too, so they can't get in. See if there are any holes in the foundation, I think you can seal the siding, etc. There was something we put in the base boards any time they made a mouse hole that deterred them from using that spot again, if I remember right. The reason you want to use poison instead of something like pop is that the poison causes them to rapidly dehydrate, so when they die in the walls they don't stink up your house.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Jul 2014
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    Try sealing up your house too, so they can't get in. See if there are any holes in the foundation, I think you can seal the siding, etc. There was something we put in the base boards any time they made a mouse hole that deterred them from using that spot again, if I remember right. The reason you want to use poison instead of something like pop is that the poison causes them to rapidly dehydrate, so when they die in the walls they don't stink up your house.
    They come in through the dog door!! They don't have to sneak in they can walk right in. I love having the dog door cause then the boys can go out whenever they need to. Except when we aren't home cause then they bark and the cops get called...cause who knew dogs barked but that's a different story.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Quote Originally Posted by kalynraye View Post
    They come in through the dog door!! They don't have to sneak in they can walk right in. I love having the dog door cause then the boys can go out whenever they need to. Except when we aren't home cause then they bark and the cops get called...cause who knew dogs barked but that's a different story.
    Maybe one of those locking dog doors that have a signal on the collar that unlocks the door?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.