This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

I can't find this book that I read years ago and it's driving me. I really want to read it, too. I can't remember the title
    "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

*le sigh. My Time Warner is now owned by Charter which just changed its name to Spectrum. I seriously hope the transition isn't like Verizon to Frontier.

Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

It is hot. It is too hot. I'm sweaty, sleep is unlikely aga. Blech. Plus, since the heat was so sudden, it is making the compost heap very noticeable. I feel guilty for complaining. But I'm gonna, cause this is the rant thread, and I'm hot and I'm tired and I can't sleep, and it is smelly.

Comment

Yeah, but if you read the books and don't base her off the movie casting, Hermione could pretty much be any ethnicity, as long as she had curly hair.

So maybe the problem is people that watch movies and don't read books.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

J. K. said that exact thing Thal when she was chastised for this very thing..also someone else cast the players,and she just approved,with no real power to object,maybe a little..but you know as long as the plays BACKERS bought the rights and all.

- - - Updated - - -

Also people,learn to stretch your creative and reality based views on FICTION(Fiction can grow)
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Yeah, but if you read the books and don't base her off the movie casting, Hermione could pretty much be any ethnicity, as long as she had curly hair.

I'd enjoy seeing some of H. P. Lovecraft's works (like, maybe Arthur Jermyn) done with non-whitebread actors to bring out the thinly buried racism...
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

While I agree in the books she is quite a bit different than Emma Watson's physical appearance, yet in the public eye she is Hermione. Figure in essence she gave form, voice and depth to the character and made her Emma's Hermione vice Raulings Hermione. Not only did Emma's Hermione grow up with us but for the generation that was so connected to her they grew up as well. Reading the books they imagined Emma Watson in their minds, in part I think due to the books not being written entirely. As you awaited each installment you wondered what was going to happen to Emma Hermione. Then figure to that was the face sold to the public to sell and market Hermione products.

Figure you could pretty much recast any of the secondary characters and get no issue. Recast the main characters and there'd still be a connection to the originals as long as they could be perceived as aging and changing with age. But recasting Hermione from white to black in many ways goes against the grain of the character about as much as say recasting luna from the ditzy blond and making her more like Hermione. Recasting Malfoy from the blonde to say a redhead would equally cause an uproar. It would fly in the face of public opinion.

I personally think no matter how well she did in the readings for the part the public is not going to accept her. Her performances will be measured against Emma Watson's and how people think she would have pulled it off. People will scream racism I think but I truly do not believe it will be racism but because of popular love of a cherished character. Ending up in a disservice to the play, the actor and public perception of her abilities.

But I think what will do it in even more is there are no rumors of any continuation of the play in any capacity. So unlike other recasts where a beloved character was taken and changed the public can not grow with the new character. They are left on their own struggling under the shadow of the previous actor who carried the role.

I do admit part of the difficulty arises, for me anyway, in that we do not know how the play will unfold. I'd say people will presume that Harry, Hermione, Ron and Ginny will still be the main subjects but that is speculation. I think her racial change will have to be addressed within the play in some capacity in order for the public to accept her as Hermione.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The Fans really need to stop acting like this series is the "BIBLE" of their obsessive fandom. Harry Potter books are a fun read,and a great FANTASY. And if fans want a religious devotion to the books,then is J. K. Rowling their "GODDESS?"

- - - Updated - - -

To all fans of fiction and Fantasy and also SF...try stepping out of the BOX from time to time..Fantasy writers do that all the time...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    The Fans really need to stop acting like this series is the "BIBLE" of their obsessive fandom. Harry Potter books are a fun read,and a great FANTASY. And if fans want a religious devotion to the books,then is J. K. Rowling their "GODDESS?"
                    But that applies to any fanbase to any series of books or individual book. I think, granted my opinion, that the scale has a lot to do with it. If it was your local school, college or playgroup then changing race would be no issue. You sort of expect it on some level. Yet something as large as this appears to be and the story line makes it unforgiving I think. NOt even counting the nostalgia feel that many will approach it with, that visiting old friends and family feeling.

Comment

Think Alternative universe...MAGIC,and perhaps a poly juice potion or two...Did not Hermione "DO" the below pictured Bad Witch in a Movie.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        Think Alternative universe...MAGIC,and perhaps a poly juice potion or two...Did not Hermione "DO" the below pictured Bad Witch in a Movie.
                        But that is why I said they'd have to address it in the play somehow. Not only address it but do so in such a way that it's not some stupid magical failure that caused her change.

Comment

I remember a certain SF writer that had a book that "Could" be taken as a religious philosophy(do not remember exactly who the writer was),might have been Jack L. Chalker,or any of a few dozen really innovative writers. Point is in his preface he had a disclaimer "None of this should be taken as a religious or philosophic TRUTH or in any way turned into a cult or way of life,period" Piers Anthony's ADEPT series,or worlds of TAROT for example.

- - - Updated - - -

If you wonder Anthony has produced a LOT of very good SF/fantasy works,and can be found here.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Michael Moorcock did something like that a few times in his Elric books.

Though I personally think when you create a character and bring them to life in the public eye you have to accept that success is due to the public. To continue with that success you can't just change things without reason or explanation. The whole Harry Potter series falls into that category for the books drove the films but the films also drove the books which resulted in the return of profits. This play hopes to capture that success once again and is relying heavily upon the connection of its fan base to ensure it happens.

Comment

Oh also BTW I watched "Naked Lunch" on HBO.....That "Might have opened a hole in my personal reality":cthulhu:...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Laying on my stomach is so painful but it's how I fall asleep >_<
                                "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Working...
                                X