This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

lol they only bear relation in that you're marginalizing both groups in a nonsensical post.
    Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 05 Jul 2016, 21:53.

Comment

The point is that a majority of people believe terrorists are Muslims. Like for realz ones and then denounce the 'religion' as violent. And all Muslims are dangerous blah blah. Yet they don't realize Muslims are THE number one victims of these terrorists. Obvi the terrorists don't think those are real Muslims. Which makes me then wonder which ones are the real ones? And then I think probably the ones not killing and stuff. So that means the terrorists aren't real Muslims. They are just extreme dummies like you know The Phelps and their ilk. Or like the other million extremists of the other major religion that sees Jesus in their toast and stuff.

So terrorists are Muslims when they kill the west.
      But who are they when they kill the east?

Inquiring minds want to know.
      but not now cus I have to go to bed.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Well the U.S. military has been the largest terrorist organization in the Middle East so in that context when terrorists kill the local Muslim population they would be called "collateral damage". Also, "enemy combatant" when they happen to have a gun. The toll of the Irag War is upwards of 1.3 million dead and other estimates put the total coast of the Middle East occupations to 4 million. But, if you mean your regular suicide bomber they are just called "victims" on a 20 second news segment.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Like for realz ones and then denounce the 'religion' as violent.
          Not particularly more violent than Christianity or Judaism. Though the only nations with state religions that currently execute people on religious grounds are Islamic. Such as our good allies, Saudi Arabia. Who executed over 151 people last year. Largely without due process or representation.

My problem isn't with Islam, it's with extremism. Something which is a human problem, not a religious one. It just so happens that there are very, very, large Islamic extremist movements.

We are talking about large organizations comparable to the Mafia, and entire nations. Such as ISIS and, as I pointed out, Saudi Arabia. Not exactly analogous to a lunatic fringe.
          Last edited by Denarius; 05 Jul 2016, 23:15.
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I've seen the people the post refers to. It's extremely unusual to see anyone who's not Children Of The Corn around here (A half-EYEtalian like me is "ethnic"). The local lack of knowledge messes me up every time. I'm glad I spent my first 11 years in Brooklyn and saw all sorts of people!

And yeah, Medusa, funny how they are Muslims when attacking here but not there. Denarius, when you said Mafia it reminded me of this:
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
              Not particularly more violent than Christianity or Judaism. Though the only nations with state religions that currently execute people on religious grounds are Islamic. Such as our good allies, Saudi Arabia. Who executed over 151 people last year. Largely without due process or representation.

My problem isn't with Islam, it's with extremism. Something which is a human problem, not a religious one. It just so happens that there are very, very, large Islamic extremist movements.

We are talking about large organizations comparable to the Mafia, and entire nations. Such as ISIS and, as I pointed out, Saudi Arabia. Not exactly analogous to a lunatic fringe.
              You do know Suadi is only 2% of the entire Muslim population. That's not much. It just always appears bigger when it's louder and more shocking. The majority of muslims are just chillaxing watching soccer to be honest.
              Last edited by Medusa; 06 Jul 2016, 20:43.

Comment

As I said, the problem isn't Islam. It's not even really Muslims either. It's the extremism, and also the large organizations and nations that embolden, finance, and direct that extremism.

I don't blame Muslims for the actions of places like that for the same reason I don't blame myself for the dumb things America does. I do however blame the systems and people that are responsible for that. Islamism is not the same thing as Islam, and neither is the same thing as Muslim. A lot of people, on both sides, fail to make those distinctions.
                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                  As I said, the problem isn't Islam. It's not even really Muslims either. It's the extremism, and also the large organizations and nations that embolden, finance, and direct that extremism.

I don't blame Muslims for the actions of places like that for the same reason I don't blame myself for the dumb things America does. I do however blame the systems and people that are responsible for that. Islamism is not the same thing as Islam, and neither is the same thing as Muslim. A lot of people, on both sides, fail to make those distinctions.
                  I was just replying to the fact that it's not really a large faction. It's just a loud one. And every one always points to Saudi Arabia as THE Islamic country when it's only 2% of the population of Muslims. Indonesia is the biggest in the world. Islamic countries have issues with bad government and not bad religion. I mean Mexico is a violent country but it's not because of it's 90% Catholic religion. It's because of it's small but very loud criminal government infrastructure. You can't tell a good cop from a good criminal down there.

I think we are agreeing though.

Comment

I would like this thread to go back to being random rants, now. Thanks. move along.

^this is my rant.

My Rant:
                    Can't wait to until September. So close to graduating, I can taste it!
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Tomorrow is my best friend's birthday. I was supposed to go over SBF's house tonight and stay there and we would get ready for dinner tomorrow. Apparently my Mother was mad at me because I didn't help my sibling(i was unaware of whatever issues she was having) and she was already irritated at me because I didn't want her using my very expensive laptop because all she does is break things. So. I was going to walk over to my friend's house and she said I can't walk for some stupid reason, then she said she can't come and get me because I don't anyone else's parent to come get me.

I'm calming down but I was furious. It's always dumb shit with her. Now, I could have asked my Dad, but they're into it right now, I guess. So they're both PO'ed. Nobody even said anything when I lit a firework in the house and I knew she smelt it. Oh well. I'm calming down, but I was super mad. I'm old enough to walk to the store when it's dark, to leave the house when I want, do whatever I want(her words) because I'm "grown" but as soon as she gets irritated I'm just SOL.

That's okay, though. If I was petty and childish I'd put her on blast and give my Dad all the letters that she has stashed in my room from her prison "friend." But I'm not. It's just a thought that crosses my mind every time she makes me mad. Interestingly enough, I'm always mad. It's like a small flame that just gets bigger the more you feed it. Then it just sits there. Or I break something and then I just sit there in some quiet, odd state of mind where people aren't even considered people anymore. I know I'm gonna be PO'ed at myself later on because I smashed the remote to my personal tv.
                      Last edited by EndlessCravings; 07 Jul 2016, 19:28.
                      "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

I'm currently eating dinner THROUGH a sugar low. I'm shaking and trying to not panic and cram my mouth with sugar. I'm just waiting for it to pass. But dang, it's an unnerving feeling. Like yeah, lemme chomp on this apple while I feel as if I'm going to die. Good times.

Comment

Websites don't understand how bilingual people use the Internet. Not even big ones like Google and Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                            Websites don't understand how bilingual people use the Internet. Not even big ones like Google and Amazon.
                            Try having a hispanic name and facebook gives you the option to 'translate' that name.
                            Jesus cristo.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              Try having a hispanic name and facebook gives you the option to 'translate' that name.
                              Jesus cristo.
                              You can turn that off.

Facebook is one of the few sites that understands how bilingual people use the Internet (for the most part).

Google won't let me use each sub-level domain for what it is. I google things in both English and German. I want to use google.de for German and google.com, google.co.uk, or google.ca for English. But it saves your settings now, including your language settings. So when I load google.de, it's in English and shows a preference for English search results. That's not what I want. I only use google.de for German things. But if I change my language settings to German, it will switch all of my search result preferences in English speaking countries to German.

Amazon is somewhat similar. I watch movies and shows on my Prime account mostly in English, but I search for products in German.
                              Last edited by DanieMarie; 08 Jul 2016, 13:55.

Comment

Oh I didn't know I could turn that off! Good to know.

Comment

Working...
                                X