This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot camp preparations.

So in 48 days I ship out to Basic training, jump school, and AIT. As I move forward in my preparation I seem to have hit a snag. I'm official listed as Pagan in my enlistment documentation which is good, like all other Religious folks it entitles me to one book, one medallion, and one hour of religious service on Sunday. I've reached out to a chaplain and am I'm the process of connecting with the person who will provide me my Pagan service. Apparently they are affiliated with Circle Sanctuary which is cool.

However that leaves the other two up in the air. The Chaplain told me in his handbook the guide for Pagan religious books is vague, and only names Drawing down the Moon by Margot Adler. There is no particular guide for medallions either, which brings me to my question. As a Pagan if you had only one book, and one medallion. For inspiration and spiritual nourishment what would they be?

Re: Boot camp preparations.

I have a Tripple Goddess medallion I take with me, and Rhiannon rosary I carry when I travel. Or I might take my pentacle.

As to books, that's trickier. For comfort, I might take one of the books I grew up with (titles omitted because DON'T JUDGE ME :-p). For practicality, I might take Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells by Judika Illes. Or, I might take my BoS.

But that's me. *shrug*
    She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

The "witches bible complete" would be a nice beginners book(Basic stuff) as to a symbol pent maybe,but if you find a more meaningful image,I think that would be better if you find it so.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think for the medallion I would choose whatever best represents protection to me. Which sounds vague, but I think these things are personal, and also the depth of meaning changes from one symbol or piece of jewelry from time to time. Currently, I would use a protection necklace that my father gave me a year or two ago. I wear it when I feel that I need a little extra support.

Books, man, that is one tough choice. Drawing Down the Moon is a good book, but not exactly what I would choose to carry with me. My first instinct was to suggest something long, simply because I am a book junkie. I also thought of a personal BOS, because that to me is the most representative of a pagan path. Don't know how I would feel about that in a barracks though.

Comment

A quartered circle or wire wrapped chiastolite

as an amulet. You're on your own for a book.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I would either bring a book of prayers, or a "one a day book" (one of those that feature different meditations, quotes, exercises, etc). Possibly a book I hadn't read yet and could use as a workbook (an intensive study of one subject perhaps?). Or one devoted to a beloved deity...

(Essentially don't make me choose between books. It doesn't end well.)

For medallions, I'd probably go with my "interfaith" necklace....It has a pentacle in the middle and then various other symbols around it. It's gorgeous and appeals to my eclectic taste. =) I also have a triquetra I'd consider.
            ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Truthfully i'd bring none of them. You'll have your hands full and even though the medal is allowed it becomes an issue many times during various stages of training. Not an issue because of religion / spiritual but because of sounds or getting hung up in things. Dogtags many times will have covers your medal will not for instance. The rest often becomes an issue when you have to start putting everything in its proper place and try to keep it all together. That and I can assure you that so called hour on Sunday to meditate / pray goes by real fast and many times you'll have other things to do.

Granted I retired from the Navy but served more than a few years at joint commands and joint training commands. The time I saw most people pray, meditate, or anything was when lights went out and they were laying in their rack at night. Of course in the end it's up to you
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

When I read just the title, I was totally going to say memorize your general orders and the Army equivelent to the Sailor's Creed...

But since its not that kind of prep, having been a Pagan in boot camp, I took a copy of Ceiswr Serith's Pagan Prayers and an amethyst pendant that doubled as a pendulum.

I had one other Pagan in my unit, and she brought a small "bos" (a journal with some devotional poetry and a sort of visual altar fold out she made in the center). Whatever you take, if its anything like the storage situation I had in Navy boot camp, the book had to fit in the same tiny drawer that all your toiletries, meds, glasses, etc fit in. There's a reason they give christians those tiny NT bibles...

We had half a day to go to chapel on sunday and do holiday routine...since chapel was maybe about 2 hours (to hike across base attend sevices and hike back), that gave us about another three hours to shower (only day to shave legs), polish boots, and write letters (except for in the rack after lights out sneak time). But, in the navy, evening "prayers" is customary, and we took turns....sure, there were lots of Christian ones, but there were also two Pagans, several Jewish girls, a handful of athiests, a Buddhist, a Hindu, and a not-very-devout Muslim...so there were a variety of "prayers"
                Last edited by thalassa; 09 Sep 2015, 13:20.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the wonderful input so far!

I'm leaning towards leedras advice about the medal, as I've really seldom worn anything before anyway.

But keep the book suggestions coming!

Comment

You could do what I do and get your symbol tattooed instead. >.>

Comment

Hmmm. I most likely wouldn't bother with a book of any kind, except perhaps my copy of Leaves of Yggdrasil. And along the same lines for a pendant. I'd seriously consider (and am doing so now even without going into the military) having an aegishjalmur (http://symboldictionary.net/?p=730) tattoo'd on the back on my neck.

Comment

Being an older pagan with a lot of history I would suggest a "Book of Growth". It's like a diary except it has to do with the lessons you learn and the feelings they evoke. the next year of your life is going to be spent pushing yourself farther and harder than you have ever done before. It is a process of initiation. Treat it as such. Keep the records of how each lesson was taught, what you learned about yourself and your connection to Deity. Write your feelings about each step along the way.
                        I have many Books of Growth and I occasionally go back and look at the old ones to remind myself from whence I came and the path I took to get here. Leave the pendant and tattoos for later. After you know who you are you will have a better idea of how to represent yourself.
                        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I wouldn't bring any kind of book honestly. I don't think I've ever been on a post with Pagan services so I don't know how much leeway you will get on Sunday services. I just went to Buddhist services on Sunday to get out of the bullshit Sunday details.

I am assuming you are going to Benning as you have Jump School on your contract. Reddit's Army sub could be a good place to ask about religious services as they have few regular posters who are Drill Sergeants at Benning.

Comment

I would have to agree with the sentiments about not taking anything at east into boot camp and AIT ... The training instructors will be on you about anything so don't give them something to try to get to you with ... Wait till you get to your duty station ... Then I might suggest Earth God Rising by Alan Richardson ... And maybe MJOLNIR: Thor's Hammer as a pendant ... Life would be easier with something "manly" ... Take a Marines word for it ...
                            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
                            X