Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Runes, a question

Oct 2014
    Religion
    Hinduism with a dash of Heathenry

Re: Runes, a question

I used a wood burner to burn them onto small wooden discs. I pricked my finger with a lancet and put a drop of blood on the back of each one. So, they are mine. I don't believe they predict the future for me, but rather, point out a concept or issue I should meditate on, maybe to get a better understanding of things... like seeing the forest for the trees. I also draw a rune from the Daily Ásatrú phone app. I think any rune that pops up anywhere is just as useful for contemplating.

Disclaimer: just my upg.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Quote Originally Posted by unseen1 View Post
    I have been looking into creating my own set of runes for a while now. I have the tools I need and the rounds to carve the runes into. My question is regarding the painting/staining of the runes. I have read some that say to use a red dye such as red ochre to do this. Others have suggested that in addition to the dye we should use some of our own blood, to "bind" them to us.

Does anyone have any input of this? What are the ramifications of using my blood in the creation process? What other techniques do you know of?

Thanks for the input,
    Jason
    I agree 100% with Rick on this one. We don't have a single piece of historical evidence that clearly points to runes being used for divination. Therefore, we do not have a single piece of historical evidence that tells us how we MUST construct our runes. What we do have is primary sources which discuss runes as tools for magickal workings, which give tantalizing clues about the 'correct' way to use them, and which give examples of what happens when you aren't very good at using them. So while we have no evidence one way or another to guide us with runes for divination, we do have some guidelines for their use in magick.

Having said that, I blood my runes. But then I also blood most of my tools and some of my charms and workings... so it's not something that I specifically connect with the runes. I use blood for a few reasons... 1) I believe that it creates a connection between myself and my tools; 2) Blood is sacred to me and to share that with the spirits of the runes is a sign of great respect and trust; and 3) I believe that if one wishes to form a deeper connection with the runespirits then one must pay a respectable price (this ties in with what Rick and Munin-Hugin mentioned regarding sacrifice).

I actually don't believe that this is a must-do thing, though. I absolutely believe that un-blooded runes can work for someone... just because that is the price they ask of me does not mean that it's the price they will ask of anyone else.

Apr 2015
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

Thanks for all the info!

I have a small Dremmel tool that I will use for the carving. I was torn between that or burning. Thorbjorn, I feel the same. I don't see them as a way to see the future, more of an advisory tool, or as you said to help see things clearly.

As a medic I had all I needed just to draw my own blood (wife did not want do it...lol). I collected a couple tubes (more than enough), I figured this gives me some extra to find the right consistency when the ochre is mixed in.

Thanks,
    Jason

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Quote Originally Posted by unseen1 View Post
    Thanks for all the info!

I have a small Dremmel tool that I will use for the carving. I was torn between that or burning. Thorbjorn, I feel the same. I don't see them as a way to see the future, more of an advisory tool, or as you said to help see things clearly.

As a medic I had all I needed just to draw my own blood (wife did not want do it...lol). I collected a couple tubes (more than enough), I figured this gives me some extra to find the right consistency when the ochre is mixed in.

Thanks,
    Jason
    I hope you took it in EDTA! Else you'll have a lovely fat clot to try and mix with your ochre.

I draw my blood as needed, but have used it from an EDTA tube once with good success. I find a fresh draw to be the most potent, though. I also use a 25g needle to prick the side of my finger before each reading and flick the blood onto my casting mat... once for Othinn, once for the Nornir and once for the runespirits. Then I let my finger bleed while holding the runes before the cast rather than holding pressure to stop it, which sort of 'feeds' them, so to speak.

Apr 2015
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

lol!

Yep EDTA, got some red tops to store the mix in