Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Thoughts On Atheism

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

My Thoughts On Atheism

These are my thought on Atheism, Atheist believes that god doesn't exist and they believe in science and evolution. They believe that we were evolved from apes. I met a few atheist in my life and they turn out to be positive and fun-loving people. I explained my beliefs and they're cool with it.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: My Thoughts On Atheism

Not quite true.

Atheists LACK a belief in deity. They do not believe God does not exist, they simply fail to believe in the existence of God.

Atheism is to belief what "bald" is to hair color...

However, you are correct that they are as likely to be positive and fun loving as is any other random selection of people.

Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Cultus Deorum
    Phrase
    Do ut des.

I have a number of friends who are atheist, and most of those who are still Roman Catholics are usually agnostic and staunchly secularist. Contrary to what the more preachy-preachy types will say, they make for some of the most intelligent conversation I've known all my life. Criticism of social and cultural issues, discussing the history of religious or political issues, very profound.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Atheists lack a belief that any god exists. And the evolution thing isn't across the board. You can be theistic and believe in evolution--I certainly do.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Just this...it kinda says it all.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    Just this...it kinda says it all.
    Saving that image for later use....
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by habbalah View Post
    Atheists lack a belief that any god exists.
    The statement "atheists lack a belief that any God exists" and " atheists lack belief in God" mean two different things, and that difference in meaning is important.

I am an atheist. An antheist MAY believe that no God exists, but that is not the defining characteristic of an atheist - that represents a subset of atheists, in the same way that "Amish" is a subset of Christian.

The defining characteristic of an atheist is that an atheist lacks a belief in god(s, es, es').

I am a living, breathing atheist. I can tell you what an atheist (at least, THIS atheist) believes. Do not try to tell an atheist what he/she believes.

We still exist. We are a living "tradition." We have not had to indulge in "recon." We have , and have always had, a vibrant community. We can speak the thoughts we think for ourselves. Nobody has to refer to a sociology textbook, or consult the archeological record; they have only to ask.

- - - Updated - - -

Uhhhmmm...

I just realized that it looks like I'm pouncing on you, Habbalah, so I apologize. What I was trying to do was to make a point.

If you go through the threads in the atheism section, you'll see that people who are anti-atheist will frequently tell an atheist what he/she believes, then explain why that is wrong. So the point is "nobody has the right to tell another person what that other person really thinks."

I don't think that is what you were actually doing, though, so I should not have jumped on you.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Cynica the Ageless View Post
    I have a number of friends who are atheist, and most of those who are still Roman Catholics are usually agnostic and staunchly secularist. Contrary to what the more preachy-preachy types will say, they make for some of the most intelligent conversation I've known all my life. Criticism of social and cultural issues, discussing the history of religious or political issues, very profound.
    I would dearly love those kinds of friends. One day I'll make changes in my life that will make room for them.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

<----once met an atheist that didn't accept evolution*

*I don't like the phrase "believe in" as applied to evolution--I don't need to "believe in" it, its a scientific fact, one either accepts the mountain of evidence that backs up the fact and scientific theories of evolution, or one does not. "Belief" is for things you can't objectively and concretely measure or observe.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    I would dearly love those kinds of friends. One day I'll make changes in my life that will make room for them.
    You already have them. We are here