Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christianity And Gay Marriage

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
    I don't see the problem from making the law of the land be "two consenting adults" rather than "one consenting man and one consenting woman". We were striving for the right to marry who we loved, but because of DOMA, it had to be fought state to state. Not until then could we push for federal law.
    The perceived (I just made the argument for why this worked, I'm not repeating it) issue was in methodology. The Court is empowered to do certain things and not others. It should not be allowed to overstep that authority even if we agree with what it is trying to do. Fortunately, killing the same sex bans appears to be within the legitimate authority of the Court due to the phrasing of the 14th Amendment.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Well, regardless of if they like it or not, law is law.

War never changes.

Comment

I think people altogether, regardless of religion, are becoming more and more accepting. Rome wasn't built in a day and not everyone will be accepting at first, but people sure are being tolerant, at least in that they aren't sending bombs to the Capitol Building because they're dissatisfied with the decision. A lot of people were upset when interracial marriage was made legal, too, but nowadays very few people who aren't living with an old-fashioned mindset give a damn about that. In a few decades it will be the same with same-sex marriage.

That said, I was actually displeased with SCOTUS's decision myself. I am hardly a genius when it comes to politics or martial law, but I'm of the mind that it shouldn't be a governmental decision in the first place. We didn't need their "permission," nor should anyone be allowed to say "Two consenting adults of the same sex cannot marry, because Jesus (or whatever)." I suppose it was in a way a necessary step in the right direction, but I do tend to be very leery of the Feds, especially when they start sticking their hands where they don't belong.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

The supreme court ruling was that the marriage laws prohibiting same gender marriage were unconstitutional.
          The ruling simply stated tells the states they have no power to regulate the gender of "acceptable" candidates for marriage.
          There is no "law" regarding the gender of the couples. There are still unlawful acts (unconstitutional laws) that limit marriage to just two people.
          I believe those laws will fall with time as well.
          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
          X