Undefeated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undefeated

Do you think winning every game with an undefeated winning streak is natural or unnatural? (For example when I play a game at chess I won 100 wins, no losses and no draw)

Re: Undefeated

I think the issue there BartmanHomer is what was the skill and knowledge level of whomever you played? 100 wins against an opponent who doesn't even know how to play the game is not much of a win in my opinion. 100 wins against a skilled opponent might be something to brag about within a relatively small circle who play the game.

As to natural or unnatural I suppose it depends upon to many variables to say yes or no with any certainty with so little information.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

It depends on who your opponent is, and the circumstances of every game. From a cursory point of view it may seem impressive, but a few questions arise: Who were your opponents; were they adept chess players too? What is their skill level in relation to yours? Were all these matches fought under fair circumstances for both competitors?

Let us use your chess example. Let us suppose that you are of grand-master caliber, and you beat a hundred casual chess players. This is not so amazing a feat, given your level of skill relative to theirs. Are you a casual chess player yourself and have just beaten a hundred other casual players too? This is much more impressive. Are you an amateur who has just beaten a grand-master? Now that is extraordinary. Now if you had beaten a hundred grand-masters, then you're no amateur!

Then comes the issue of circumstance. Were all the chess matches won fairly, or were some botched/rigged? Many factors to consider. I, for example, play poker with my girlfriend. I always win however because she utterly sucks at poker. Were she skilled at putting on a poker face or bluffing, it might have been a completely different story entirely.

Comment

Women sometimes lose to win at something else later.
        Men sometimes do the same.

I am not a competitive sort. I tend to compete against myself to continually improve. As long as I improve I am happy.
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

If in winning it is the savant that is a master of a single talent,then the winning is only within the confines of that single media...The greater competitor is one who may loose at times,but who has the ability to circumvent the rules and find paths never trod before,and in this become the master of the game.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            If in winning it is the savant that is a master of a single talent,then the winning is only within the confines of that single media...The greater competitor is one who may loose at times,but who has the ability to circumvent the rules and find paths never trod before,and in this become the master of the game.
            Circumventing the rules of a board game is what the rest of us call cheating. It's generally not a good way to find repeat matches at chess once you're past the age of 9 or 10.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Thinking out of the box...just seeing the field in a different light.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
              X