Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: But is it meat?

  1. #1
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,334
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    But is it meat?

    This won't matter to health vegetarians or vegans, but to vegetarians and/or vegans who are against the slaughter of animals, would you consider meat grown in a lab as still off limits?

    What's Behind the Search for Lab-Grown Meat (Op-Ed)
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  2. #2
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,477
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: But is it meat?

    I decided as soon as it was reported last year that they'd grown meat in a lab (or was it the year before? The years are starting to blur together now). Yes, I'd definitely eat it! I'd love to see a world where your low-cost supermarket meat was all cheaply produced in a lab, with meat from the animal taking the premium price-tag that the taking of life deserves (and those who produce the meat could earn more.. and afford to take better care of their livestock..)

    Even if ethics isn't an issue, the environmental and economic benefits alone would make me want to get behind it.

    I also think some of those who avoid meat for health reasons could be swayed. I know the husband of one of my colleagues won't eat meat because of the antibiotics and growth hormones it contains. I guess then, you could add the slow-down of resistance to antibiotics to the list of pros.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  3. #3
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,334
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    Re: But is it meat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    I also think some of those who avoid meat for health reasons could be swayed. I know the husband of one of my colleagues won't eat meat because of the antibiotics and growth hormones it contains. I guess then, you could add the slow-down of resistance to antibiotics to the list of pros.
    Good point - I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking more of the fat content and such.

    But even fat content could potentially be controlled, I imagine.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  4. #4
    PF God-Empress Juniper's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16,540
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Pacific "North" West
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...
    I'd be hesitant to try it. I'd want proof that the quality of the lab grown meat was identical to real, GMO & (added) hormone free, humanely raised animal meat. I want to live healthy, not 'convenient'.

    Note: I haven't read the article, yet. I'll read it when I get home and may amend my post if necessary.
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

  5. #5
    lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,675
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan
    Location
    Germany

    Re: But is it meat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    I'd be hesitant to try it. I'd want proof that the quality of the lab grown meat was identical to real, GMO & (added) hormone free, humanely raised animal meat. I want to live healthy, not 'convenient'.

    Note: I haven't read the article, yet. I'll read it when I get home and may amend my post if necessary.

    I feel the same way. I'm open to it, but only if it's actually nutritious and tastes good. I don't eat that much meat anyway, so when I do eat it, I kind of make it count. Also, a lot of the meat I eat is fish, and I haven't heard a lot about lab grown fish.

  6. #6
    Bronze Member Munin-Hugin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Northern Tradition
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: But is it meat?

    There was an episode of Torchwood that was sort of like this, but s with everything with that show, had a crazy twist. A company was selling incredibly cheap meat and huge quantities of it. It turned out that they had captured an alien or something similar that was pretty much a giant worm that would regenerate itself. They would just carve pieces of it off, slice it like various cuts of meat, package it, then ship it out.

  7. #7
    Silver Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,220
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: But is it meat?

    But we need meat in our lives. (Well my life that is.)

  8. #8
    Copper Member
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    965
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE
    Location
    SE Washington

    Re: But is it meat?

    We humans are omnivores and meat is a part of our natural diet. Lab grown muscle is grown from animal DNA so in the strictest sense it is animal flesh. There is the fact that it was never controlled by or part of a whole animal but it began as a cell from an animal.

    I would give the same respect to the source of the meat as if I had harvested it myself. The source animal still gave of its body and life and we would have to recognize the effort of the technicians that fed and grew it into what we consume. I am unsure how well a product like this will catch on with the public distrust of genetically modified foods.

  9. #9
    Silver Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,220
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: But is it meat?

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    We humans are omnivores and meat is a part of our natural diet. Lab grown muscle is grown from animal DNA so in the strictest sense it is animal flesh. There is the fact that it was never controlled by or part of a whole animal but it began as a cell from an animal.

    I would give the same respect to the source of the meat as if I had harvested it myself. The source animal still gave of its body and life and we would have to recognize the effort of the technicians that fed and grew it into what we consume. I am unsure how well a product like this will catch on with the public distrust of genetically modified foods.

    I agree. Without meat our energy will be depleted.

  10. #10
    Live and learn anunitu's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,059
    Religion
    stregheria

    Re: But is it meat?

    One very important point is we really could use the land used to raise cattle for other growth of protein. It is also said that the output from the cattle is an environmental issue. Lab grown eat might help with land use.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also the factory farm model is NOT working well.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

    all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.




    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

    my new page here,let me know what you think.


    nothing but the shadow of what was

    witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Similar Threads

  1. an it harm none : meat eater, vegetarian, or vegan?
    By unityquest in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 05 Feb 2015, 01:11
  2. Buddhism and meat
    By Alienist in forum Eastern Traditions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04 Jul 2014, 08:35
  3. Meat Eaters are Horrible People
    By B. de Corbin in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 04 Dec 2012, 12:50
  4. Joining the No-Meat Bandwagon....
    By kijani in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03 Sep 2011, 09:57

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •