But is it meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But is it meat?

This won't matter to health vegetarians or vegans, but to vegetarians and/or vegans who are against the slaughter of animals, would you consider meat grown in a lab as still off limits?

What's Behind the Search for Lab-Grown Meat (Op-Ed)
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: But is it meat?

I decided as soon as it was reported last year that they'd grown meat in a lab (or was it the year before? The years are starting to blur together now). Yes, I'd definitely eat it! I'd love to see a world where your low-cost supermarket meat was all cheaply produced in a lab, with meat from the animal taking the premium price-tag that the taking of life deserves (and those who produce the meat could earn more.. and afford to take better care of their livestock..)

Even if ethics isn't an issue, the environmental and economic benefits alone would make me want to get behind it.

I also think some of those who avoid meat for health reasons could be swayed. I know the husband of one of my colleagues won't eat meat because of the antibiotics and growth hormones it contains. I guess then, you could add the slow-down of resistance to antibiotics to the list of pros.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      I also think some of those who avoid meat for health reasons could be swayed. I know the husband of one of my colleagues won't eat meat because of the antibiotics and growth hormones it contains. I guess then, you could add the slow-down of resistance to antibiotics to the list of pros.
      Good point - I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking more of the fat content and such.

But even fat content could potentially be controlled, I imagine.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'd be hesitant to try it. I'd want proof that the quality of the lab grown meat was identical to real, GMO & (added) hormone free, humanely raised animal meat. I want to live healthy, not 'convenient'.

Note: I haven't read the article, yet. I'll read it when I get home and may amend my post if necessary.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
          I'd be hesitant to try it. I'd want proof that the quality of the lab grown meat was identical to real, GMO & (added) hormone free, humanely raised animal meat. I want to live healthy, not 'convenient'.

Note: I haven't read the article, yet. I'll read it when I get home and may amend my post if necessary.

I feel the same way. I'm open to it, but only if it's actually nutritious and tastes good. I don't eat that much meat anyway, so when I do eat it, I kind of make it count. Also, a lot of the meat I eat is fish, and I haven't heard a lot about lab grown fish.

Comment

There was an episode of Torchwood that was sort of like this, but s with everything with that show, had a crazy twist. A company was selling incredibly cheap meat and huge quantities of it. It turned out that they had captured an alien or something similar that was pretty much a giant worm that would regenerate itself. They would just carve pieces of it off, slice it like various cuts of meat, package it, then ship it out.

Comment

But we need meat in our lives. (Well my life that is.)

Comment

We humans are omnivores and meat is a part of our natural diet. Lab grown muscle is grown from animal DNA so in the strictest sense it is animal flesh. There is the fact that it was never controlled by or part of a whole animal but it began as a cell from an animal.

I would give the same respect to the source of the meat as if I had harvested it myself. The source animal still gave of its body and life and we would have to recognize the effort of the technicians that fed and grew it into what we consume. I am unsure how well a product like this will catch on with the public distrust of genetically modified foods.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                  We humans are omnivores and meat is a part of our natural diet. Lab grown muscle is grown from animal DNA so in the strictest sense it is animal flesh. There is the fact that it was never controlled by or part of a whole animal but it began as a cell from an animal.

I would give the same respect to the source of the meat as if I had harvested it myself. The source animal still gave of its body and life and we would have to recognize the effort of the technicians that fed and grew it into what we consume. I am unsure how well a product like this will catch on with the public distrust of genetically modified foods.

I agree. Without meat our energy will be depleted.

Comment

One very important point is we really could use the land used to raise cattle for other growth of protein. It is also said that the output from the cattle is an environmental issue. Lab grown eat might help with land use.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the factory farm model is NOT working well.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      One very important point is we really could use the land used to raise cattle for other growth of protein.

Or biofuels.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

It has been said(got no source,just read somewhere) that the meat business is very expensive as to cost to produce,and very inefficient..
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

As a carnivore, I am simply glad that there are more ways to ingest 'meat.'

P.S. vegetarians spend all day trying to mimic meat so you'd think they'd be delighted that someone went through the trouble of saving them the effort of wanting to eat meat without eating it. 'Burgers,' pfeh.

:P
                          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            This won't matter to health vegetarians or vegans, but to vegetarians and/or vegans who are against the slaughter of animals, would you consider meat grown in a lab as still off limits?

What's Behind the Search for Lab-Grown Meat (Op-Ed)
                            I'm so used to seeing meat as 'gross' at this point, I don't think I could eat it, even if I do see it as a potentially good alternative for the rest of society. I don't have a problem with dairy or eggs, though the taste of pure eggs also grosses me out...

Comment

It will not longer matter whatever you care about meat production or not because the ethics wil no longer be questionable in the first place (unless you are an extreme eco-terrorist who only eats "natural" foods), but it will still be about taste. Some people will eat it, others will not. Not every person is the same.

Culinary tastes aside, the best aspect of this technology for me are the medicinal possibilities. I mean once we introduce vat-grown meat we will pave the way for vat-grown organs. No more deaths due to lack of donors, reduced waiting times for surgical operations... Even custom-grown organs (based on your own DNA) are a possibility. For a fee I assume, but still a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X