Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about Tarot reading over the internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you feel about Tarot reading over the internet?

Do you feel like it's as accurate as it is in person? (I'm not sure how else to phrase this, I'm a little braindead today, excuse me)

I've been considering asking people if they'd like readings online as practice once I'm better bonded with my deck, since I don't have many people in my life that are open to Tarot readings, but I have mixed feelings about having it done over the internet...

What are your feelings?

Re: How do you feel about Tarot reading over the internet?

I feel like reading for a stranger is reading for a stranger, either in person or over the internet. You're always going to have less insight into a situation than you would reading for someone you know. I always include a photo of a spread, just in case the person sees something I didn't.

But I've had good feedback (with a few notable exceptions, but I'm still practising and no one's perfect).
    She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

I do tarot reading over the internet all the time. It's great!

Comment

Most of my practice for reading has been online. As October said, a stranger is a stranger. I haven't gotten any bad reviews for either online or in person reading, and right now I'm more comfortable reading online because I too do have many people that would be comfortable with a reading. I also include a picture.

When you do feel comfortable, there's a "Trade" thread here with people who would be comfortable with the practice. =)
        ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I'm not in a safe area to really offer anything pagan or witchy related out in the open and in person, so all of my stuff has always been online personally and other than a single person (whose complaint was more directed towards money and her bs email account that she tried to have me send her reading to and then claim she never got what she paid for when she purchased one from my storenvy shop) I've never had anyone give any negative feedback towards any of my online readings. Like October said-a stranger is a stranger no matter what and accuracy is really going to depend on your connection with your deck more than anything else I've found. Readings over the internet are a great way to practice without you having to get all nervous about dealing with actual people and any social anxiety that can come of it. I would also like to repeat the suggestion of checking out the Trade thread and seeing who might be interested in helping out.
          Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
          Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
          sigpic

Comment

I do think online readings have one major positive aspect, that is it's harder to be a cold reader. You can't see the person so can't read their body and eyes to aid in reading the cards. Disadvantage I think is that readers get hung up on what the cards show before them vice what the feel of everything is. In that capacity it's almost like reading an instruction manual vice having the "Feel" of energy that the card suggest or implies as a whole within the spread.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I often get the urge to do readings and the only way I can is online for people. The feed back usually good. I think it's about the divination technique and you, not always the person sitting there with you. Like spells don't need a person right there.

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnLeaf View Post
                Do you feel like it's as accurate as it is in person? (I'm not sure how else to phrase this, I'm a little braindead today, excuse me)

I've been considering asking people if they'd like readings online as practice once I'm better bonded with my deck, since I don't have many people in my life that are open to Tarot readings, but I have mixed feelings about having it done over the internet...

What are your feelings?
                What do you mean, 'over the internet?'

As in, you ask for a reading from someone on this site, for example, and they read for you?
                Do you mean automatic tarot sites where the cards are randomly generated into whatever spread you've chosen?
                Paying a clairvoyant over the internet to read for you personally over Skype?

As for scenario #1, I think this is perfectly valid. Everyone is on an even playing field in this scenario -- consent is given all around and you can generally expect a thoughtful and thorough reading.

Regarding scenario #2, I am wary of all 'automated tarot generators.' In the same way that I don't believe that my spirit animal can be auto-generated from some arbitrary algorithm, I don't think that tarot from an inhuman source would be very insightful.

Lastly, about scenario #3, that is just stupid. There are plenty of people here who will do it for free. :P
                No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                  What do you mean, 'over the internet?'

As in, you ask for a reading from someone on this site, for example, and they read for you?
                  Do you mean automatic tarot sites where the cards are randomly generated into whatever spread you've chosen?
                  Paying a clairvoyant over the internet to read for you personally over Skype?

As for scenario #1, I think this is perfectly valid. Everyone is on an even playing field in this scenario -- consent is given all around and you can generally expect a thoughtful and thorough reading.

Regarding scenario #2, I am wary of all 'automated tarot generators.' In the same way that I don't believe that my spirit animal can be auto-generated from some arbitrary algorithm, I don't think that tarot from an inhuman source would be very insightful.

Lastly, about scenario #3, that is just stupid. There are plenty of people here who will do it for free. :P
                  Me! Me! *hops up and down* I'll do it for free!
                  She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Depends on the reader. I've had a few online readings that were totally fluffy bunnies and bore zero connection to anything in my life.

And I've had a few great ones.

The great ones were from the one card reading thread on aeclectic.

I expect lack of interaction was involved in the fluffy bunny readings. People not sure how I'd react, not getting any head nods of recognition or questions about particular cards etc. Sometimes those help in knowing which direction things are going and how to interpret and read surrounding cards.

Cold online readings were all bombs for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X