Office god

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office god

I am working on living my heathenry outside of my home and one of the first things I thought of was creating a little work alter on my desk in my office (I'm a receptionist and chief administrator for a small non profit). Something small with a glass of water for my ancestors and a prayer card for one of the gods. My problem: I have no idea who could be considered god of the office.

I've been thinking about Woden as he represents knowledge and wisdom, Sif as a welcomer, Frigga as keeper of the home (my work has a lot of focus on organization and formatting), but I'm sure there are others I have not thought of. Any ideas?

Re: Office god

Not that I know a whole lot about Heathenry, but I would steer clear of Frigga if she is 'keeper of the home.' The office then is not her place.

According to a simple Google search I conducted, these might be some more appropriate options for your query:

Dagur, god of the daylight.
    Var, goddess of promises and agreements
    Kvasir, god of knowledge and wisdom
    Forseti, god of justice and reconciliation

Do a bit of research and see what you come up with.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

JoyStar,
      I had to laugh when I saw your post. In Arratu there are gods and goddesses for everything. While driving to somewhere I once pondered which god controlled these traffic lights that kept stopping me. The name "Tielgi" came to me. It is pronounced TEE ELL Gee. I saw the connection right away. "Traffic Light God", TLG was the traffic light god. Now you have to consider that Arratu comes from the early history (along with some extrapolated prehistory) and they named a god or goddess for every invention and occurrence in their lives.

In your case the Sumerian name for an Office God would be Ogi (oh gee) and if you prefer a goddess her name would be Iogi (eye oh gee). I know that doesn't help you out but it might lighten your search a bit. It has been my experience that deity enjoys many names and will accept a name as long as the intent is valid.

Tielgi has made life a lot easier by turning lights green for me more often than not. we praise him with thanks for every green light and thank him for the relaxation time that his red lights bring. Whichever god has taken our name is truly enjoying the attention and we enjoy the benefits.
      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

So...I have an altar in my office and there is no deity associated with it at all. You don't need a god to use an altar. Or, you could go with any god you have a relationship with. It's not a matter of needing a corresponding deity, it's a matter of needing a relationship with a deity that will work with you. But if you really want to go that route, choose a deity that corresponds with your mission...nonprofits need money, look for a banking, harvest, money, or luck God...or if your non-profit is about animals, look for a God that way, if it's for children, look for a deity associated with protecting kids, if it's a legal charity, one that is concerned with justice, etc.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Tyr might not be a bad choice. Doing the right thing, justice, that sort of thing. That could be transfered over into helping folks and keeping things organized.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            ...you could go with any god you have a relationship with. It's not a matter of needing a corresponding deity, it's a matter of needing a relationship with a deity that will work with you. ...
            This gets my vote, my thoughts exactly. I work in IT, and I can't imagine any deity remotely related to computers or electronics. Though I might consider Guan yin for when end-users work my nerves and I must show mercy and compassion.
            śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
            śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Forget deities, look to the Wight of your office/cubicle space. There's always a tompte or some such lurking nearby...
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
              Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                Forget deities, look to the Wight of your office/cubicle space. There's always a tompte or some such lurking nearby...
                I like this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                  I like this one.
                  I know that there are plenty that wander around my workplace. I tend to catch them out of the corner of my eye fairly often, and I couldn't tell you how many times a carton count of a pallet was 100% correct right before we'd leave for the day, but we'd come in to find it all messed up in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by JoyStar View Post
                    I
                    I've been thinking about Woden as he represents knowledge and wisdom, Sif as a welcomer, Frigga as keeper of the home (my work has a lot of focus on organization and formatting), but I'm sure there are others I have not thought of. Any ideas?
                    As you mention Woden rather than Odin, I'm guessing you're more of an Anglo-Saxon heathen. How about Weland Smith? He was a pretty busy individual...
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Patricia Lafayllve has some ideas on "apartment wights" in her Practical Heathen's Guide, so why not office wights? All you need is a candle and a bowl for offerings. She suggests a simple invocation of the "wights of this place". Another idea of hers is to build a wight-home. Find a stone about the size of a grapefruit and ask the wights if they want to move in with you and leave an offering in place of the stone. The stone is then placed on a shelf with the offering bowl and candle.

Comment

Working...
                      X