Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone know any good free place to get books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone know any good free place to get books?

would like to know if anyone can help me find books for free downloading that will go on my nook app preferably books on pagan, Wicca, witchcraft, anything to help me learn the craft a little more cause im a beginner and would love to learn

the library only orders from our county not out of st lucie fl I have 7 librarys to choose books from kinda small I found a few got them ordered in but would be nice to own a few too.
    Last edited by thalassa; 25 Sep 2015, 02:54. Reason: formatting

Re: anyone know any good free place to get books?

For free books on Wicca, that might be a tough one. There's some free books on Amazon for using kindle, they have programs for Windows or phones or stuff so you can read on them. However, there might not be much on witchcraft.

There may be used book stores in your area, if you're able to go to one you might be able to find some things for really cheap.

As a replacement for a book, however, the Pagan and Wiccan About.com page is an excellent resource, and I'd imagine you could get a pretty good grasp of the basics just from this site alone.

Comment

Your local library has Overdrive. You can download ebooks and audiobooks for free to your devices or read on your pc of choice.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

that link was very helpful toxicyarnglare thank you I tried quoting wouldn't work.

- - - Updated - - -

I only have 7 libraries to choos books from but I can look again. thanks medusa.

Comment

Legally, you can try Project Gutenberg and other online sources for public domain materials. They're good sources for mythology and history.

If you are a student or know anyone who is, you can see if you can get access to archives such as JSTOR. Those sources are great for academic papers on historic groups such as the various Celtic groups who lived in Europe.

Check around town to see if there are any book trees or "take a book, leave a book" shelves lying around. Sometimes they're on the street, sometimes they're in cafes. It's not specifically pagan, but you might find some interesting stuff.

Do you have a Kindle, by chance? Amazon lets users lend out their Kindle books to friends, and if you have a Prime account you can borrow books directly from Amazon. It only works for Kindle devices, though, not the Kindle app on other devices :-/

Comment

I tend to use JSTOR or other academic articles as much as I can. Lots of times doing simple searches with JSTOR and subject as my search criteria.

Another place that you can find some stuff at is https://www.academia.edu/ sometimes books, sometimes author chapters form books or other various research type articles. Many can be downloaded as PDF files and some wordfiles. Many also have a function where you can ask the author for a copy of something they've created and only place excerpts on the site.

- - - Updated - - -

Another site you may like is http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Internet Sacred Text Archive - Quiet place in cyberspace devoted to religious tolerance and scholarship.

It's mostly pre-1928 public domain stuff, but there are classics there.

Also, not free, but for $10 a month, you can get kindle unlimited and they have a bunch of pagan books (and pretty decent ones, depending on ones path).

I agree with jstor, but really That is mostly helpful if you are interested in reconstruction or religion from and anthropological standpoint to inform your practices. It's not a resource that will be helpful to everyone. One of the journal publishers (I have to look it up to tell out which one) has a lay person account where you can access 10 articles a month free from any of their publications. I have an account and I use it for science stuff, but it's saved on my broken laptop's bookmarks, so I can't look it up now
              Last edited by thalassa; 25 Sep 2015, 17:24.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

There's a lot of good information just on here; I've learned a lot just from reading through older threads
                Also, you can always ask more questions on here too of course!

Oh, one of the members on here, Tylluan Penry, has an awesome collection of youtube videos with a lot of good information.

Your question also made me think of some suggestion from a book I'd read on finding books on the occult in libraries:

A tour of your local library or general interest bookstore will unearth a wealth of knowledge to the trained eye-knowledge as advanced as you are ready for, as sophisticated as you require, and as occult as you could wish. All you need to do is adjust your perspective and broaden your vision.
                This is from, The Second Circle Tools for the Advancing Pagan, by Venecia Rauls. It's goes on to list some different book sections for inspiration:

- Mythology
                - Comparative Religion
                - Religious Practices in History
                - Philosophy Books on the Nature of God
                - Women's and Men's Studies
                - Psychology (to better understand yourself)
                - History (If you're interested in reconstruction)
                - Folklore
                - Fairy Tales
                - Archeology
                - Anthropology
                - Animals
                - Camping/Nature/Hiking
                - Health/Medicine (for healing)
                - Herbs/Plants/Gardening
                - Poetry (Spell Writing Inspiration)
                - Art (Representations of Divinity)
                - Creativity Books

Visiting museums or going to the local historical society was also suggested.

Pagan paths are holistic, teaching that all things are connected. Why, then, can't we find the will of the Goddess in a cookbook or a new understanding of the Lord and Lady through philosophy? There's divine presence all around us-we only have to open our eyes.
                - - - Updated - - -

Oh, also, all you have to do is hit the 'Reply With Quote' button under the person's message that you're trying to reply to. A new text box will open up with the quote already prepared for you.

Comment

This right here:
                  Originally posted by SleepingCompass View Post
                  It's goes on to list some different book sections for inspiration:

- Mythology
                  - Comparative Religion
                  - Religious Practices in History
                  - Philosophy Books on the Nature of God
                  - Women's and Men's Studies
                  - Psychology (to better understand yourself)
                  - History (If you're interested in reconstruction)
                  - Folklore
                  - Fairy Tales
                  - Archeology
                  - Anthropology
                  - Animals
                  - Camping/Nature/Hiking
                  - Health/Medicine (for healing)
                  - Herbs/Plants/Gardening
                  - Poetry (Spell Writing Inspiration)
                  - Art (Representations of Divinity)
                  - Creativity Books
                  Most of my Pagan library is not "Pagan" at all...it's neurobiology articles, psychology books, mythology, history, evolution and big history, the evolution of religion, sociology, geology, meteorology, foraging, field guides, poetry, novels, cookbooks, etc.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

thanks but my library has nothing.

Comment

My local library hides all the occult books... in a back room. And you have to be deemed 'suitable' to look at them. Total nonsense!
                      Thank you for the mention, Sleeping Compass. If you go to my publishing website, http://thewolfenhowlepress.com although the books aren't free, you can download and read the first chapter for nothing.
                      Some of my books are apparently out there as pirated copies. Be very careful with those. Not just because it annoys me personally, but because pirate sites often don't actually have any books at all!
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Another option might be going to a local college or university; sometimes they'll allow the general public to purchase a library card for a small fee. I actually used to do that when I was living in Florida as I wasn't a big fan of the library closest to me and my own college at the time didn't have a very good library of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                          My local library hides all the occult books... in a back room. And you have to be deemed 'suitable' to look at them. Total nonsense!
                          Thank you for the mention, Sleeping Compass. If you go to my publishing website, http://thewolfenhowlepress.com although the books aren't free, you can download and read the first chapter for nothing.
                          Some of my books are apparently out there as pirated copies. Be very careful with those. Not just because it annoys me personally, but because pirate sites often don't actually have any books at all!
                          Interesting you say that. My library never seems to have many occult books on the shelves, but whenever there's a book sale there's always a box full.

Comment

Originally posted by wiccanwolfchild View Post
                            thanks but my library has nothing.
                            Have you checked out the mythology, anthropology, philosophy, botany, geology, meteorology, history, etc sections?
                            sigpic

Comment

What is available in most libraries is usually scattered. In the towns local library they put the Pagan/Wiccan books in the religion section. Who would have thought to look there?
                              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X