Scylla/Charybdis Worshippers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scylla/Charybdis Worshippers

If you don't mind me asking, does anyone worship Scylla and/or Charybdis? If so, how do you worship them?

Re: Scylla/Charybdis Worshippers

So...why would one be worshipping them?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      That's something I hope to find out.

Comment

Never heard of it an afaik, no one here does.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Sort of wondering that myself. Definitely two of the major daemon's / monsters of the Hellene mythos and the Odysseus story of the Odyssey as well as a minor role if I recall correctly in the Argonautica story with Jason and the Argonauts as well. Yet can't think of any reason one would worship them though I can see why making offerings to them might be of benefit.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

If Thalassa doesn't revere Charybdis, nobody does...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

First let me say that in my tradition we don't worship deity, we partner with them in the co-creation of life. That said I am not sure that these two "monsters" qualify as deity (for me anyway). They were cursed by deity out of jealousy and vengeance. They are at best defined as lesser deities with little power over anything but the small body of water between them. I see no reason not to hold them as deity, especially if you are sailing in their vicinity, but what potential is there for your aid?
              I may not understand your view so forgive me if I am ignorant. I would appreciate any information that can be educational.
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                If Thalassa doesn't revere Charybdis, nobody does...
                True dat.

I worship* just about every obscure (and less obscure) aquatic deity that fits my local ecosystem...including the Nerieds (which really aren't dieties, per se). Worshipping Charybdis and Scylla would be like worshipping Cerberus--why? They are really quite a local phenomenon--the personification of a specific actual location (the Strait of Messina). What would be the purpose of worshipping a whirpool and a rocky shoal halfway around the world? If someone does so, I'd be interested in their rationale.
                sigpic

Comment

While Charybdis does represent a specific geographic location, taken in a broader sense, it can represent the power of the ocean to cause complete annihilation. Kindda like leviathan...

"Will he make a covenant with you? Will you take him for a servant forever? "Will you play with him as with a bird, Or will you bind him for your maidens? "Will the traders bargain over him? Will they divide him among the merchants? "Can you fill his skin with harpoons, Or his head with fishing spears? "Lay your hand on him; Remember the battle; you will not do it again!
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Or the representation of the "between a rock and a hard place" scenario...which used to be called "between Scylla and Charybdis"

IMO, they'd be better off petitioning Posideon for anything related to the ocean, and whatever deity they have a relationship with or that has their sphere of influence for whatever the problem is.
                    sigpic

Comment

I really like complete annihilation, though... It sings to me like a crow with a sore throat.

Comment

Or the representation of the "between a rock and a hard place" scenario...which used to be called "between Scylla and Charybdis"

IMO, they'd be better off petitioning Posideon for anything related to the ocean, and whatever deity they have a relationship with or that has their sphere of influence for whatever the problem is.
                        So,rock and hard place...visited once,but found it less than advertised...seemed a bit to "Intense" for my delicate constitution and also a bit over priced..
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                        X