Monster Worship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monster Worship

So after making the Scylla/Charybdis thread, I've decided to ask a broader question: do any of you worship monsters? By monsters I mean things like the Basilisk, Azi Dahaka, etc. If so, how do you worship them?

Re: Monster Worship

It's a no for me.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

No. I do not worship those who oppose the sacred balance or the Divine.

Comment

Worship? No.

But they (depending on how you define "monster") play an important role in Alchemical symbolism.

For example, the result of the union of Hermies and Venus (Aphroditie) is the Rebus, a Hermaphaphrodite, or, when it goes wrong, Priapus, who is (literally) a big dick.

There are also various fat toads and dragon/serpents...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

If you look at Northern Tradition, more specifically what they refer to as Rokkatru, I suppose it could fall under what you would call "monster" worship. The idea of it is that in a way it's sort of the chaos side of things, the "darker" path so to speak, though it isn't really. I dabble a bit in it myself, as for me there is much more to Northern Trad than just the Aesir and the Vanir. Between the Jotnar, Loki (who is considered by some to be a Rokkatru deity), Loki's kids (Fenrir and Jormungandr), Hel, and all sorts of others, I guess you could say there's a bunch of "monster" worship going on.

Comment

Originally posted by LearningMan View Post
            So after making the Scylla/Charybdis thread, I've decided to ask a broader question: do any of you worship monsters? By monsters I mean things like the Basilisk, Azi Dahaka, etc. If so, how do you worship them?
            Depends on what you mean by 'monster'.

As Munin-Hugin pointed out, in the Northern Tradition path we accept the Jotnar deities as much as the Aesir and Vanir. This sets us apart from a lot of Heathens (especially recons), because the Jotnar are considered 'monsters' by many. Some of them are literally 'monsters'... Jormungandr and Fenrir are the obvious ones, but there's also Fafnir, Nidhhoggr, Hati, Skoll, Garmr... all of whom are agents of destruction, decay, chaos or the darker side of nature (which is NOT the same as being malevolent). Most are almost humanoid, but are still considered 'monstrous' by many... Hela, Angrbodha, Ran and her daughters, Surtr, the list goes on and on. Then there are 'benign monsters' like Ratatosk, Ymir, Audhumla and various others. And then there are hordes of wights and various other beings that may or may not be considered 'monsters' depending on who is making the definition.

I'm also somewhat of a Demonolator, in that I actively work with and revere a number of Goetic Demons... who are also considered to be 'monsters' by some people. I don't personally think that's accurate. I define 'monster' as non-humanoid agent of destruction, chaos, decay etc... and I don't believe that 'monster' is synonymous with 'malevolent', 'evil', or 'bad'. There are some monsters that represent processes that are very much necessary, very much 'neutral', and very much a natural part of life and death.

So yes, 'monsters' and 'monstrous deities' are a part of my practice. Do I actively worship any... actually no. I don't really do 'worship'. I revere. I respect. I form relationships with. I ask for aid and offer payment in return. I don't even 'worship' Skuld, who is the goddess that I am sworn to. But yes, I respect the existence, the importance, and the value of the monsters in my practice. I don't exclude them because they're unpleasant or chaotic... even the harmful ones.

Comment

Working...
            X