Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinion on going back to college

Hello everyone,

I hope I have posted this in the right forum, if not feel free to move it. Well, i've decided to go back to college to fulfill a dream of mine. Ever since I was a little girl I have loved dinosaurs and this is not a general love for a while and be bored. I don't know if some of you remember, but there was a movie that started my love which was called 'The Land Before Time.' I always wanted to do something in the field of paleontology, but never have been able to. I've taken my parent's advice. When I began going to college I took my mother's advice to get a Culinary Arts degree, which I never finished because we moved to SC in 2001. Then when I was in SC I yet again took her advice and finally got a degree in Business Administration. When we came back up here to Morgantown in WV, 12 years later, on account of my nephew. It's been nagging me ever since. I'm 33 and I figure that I might as well get this degree while i'm still 'young.' I would have to get a degree in Geology since there is no Paleontology schools or schools that offer degrees here in the east, but I will make do and use it to help me study it nonetheless. My mom supports me, but my dad is worried about the Sallie Mae fees and such that I will occur. So am I, but I would rather do something I love, than be stuck in a job that I don't want to do for the rest of my life. What do you think?
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Re: Your opinion on going back to college

Guess what? Statistically you only got about 45 years left to live so do whatever the censored you want.
    Last edited by MaskedOne; 04 Oct 2015, 05:34. Reason: language censoring

Comment

Follow your dreams. Even if you decide later that they weren't for you, you'll have given it your best shot. Who can ask for more? And good luck!
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
        Follow your dreams. Even if you decide later that they weren't for you, you'll have given it your best shot. Who can ask for more? And good luck!
        Tylluan gave you an excellent advice. Do what you love and always try to fulfill your dreams!
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Shoot for the moon, life is too short. If you honestly love it and are interested in it, you can't lose.

Also going back to college as an adult is awesome, dress up nice and carry a briefcase and all of the students will hold doors for you because they think you're a professor.
          White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
          sigpic
          In Days of yore,
          From Britain's shore
          Wolfe the dauntless hero came
          And planted firm Britannia's flag
          On Canada's fair domain.
          Here may it wave,
          Our boast, our pride
          And joined in love together,
          The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
          The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
            Guess what? Statistically you only got about 45 years left to live so do whatever the censored you want.
            Yikes, almost got cut on that edge there.
            Last edited by MaskedOne; 04 Oct 2015, 05:36. Reason: censoring quote
            “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Comment

F-bombs have no place in the public boards. Keep them in adult or don't use them at all.
              "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
              ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I went back to school at 33, and got a different degree.

It was worth it - but very difficult, because I had a wife & two kids, and an abusive way, way over full time job.

It was still worth it.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I think the idea of this is great,BUT...and this is a big but,it used to be affordable to do collage and try new things(I went to city collage back in the very early 70's) and went to school and paid rent and food on 175 dollars a month.(G.I. Bill)..City collage was mostly free except for books and some supplies. Not true these days,you might pay that 175 on one book now.
                  I like Bernie Sanders idea of making city collage (Used to be known as TRADE schools) once again affordable for non rich people.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I went back to college when I got out of the Navy at 27 . Personally I don't think it's a bad idea at all but it's up to you decide if the financial risk and cost is really worth it or not . I still have grad school to get through and my degree is going to be in what I would rather do as opposed to what I'm doing now...but the advantage is that the fields are similar and I still have G.I. Bill money left that will pay for it .
                    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Does the U.S. have student loans? Those can help.
                      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                      sigpic
                      In Days of yore,
                      From Britain's shore
                      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                      And planted firm Britannia's flag
                      On Canada's fair domain.
                      Here may it wave,
                      Our boast, our pride
                      And joined in love together,
                      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I'm definitely going to follow my heart and go back to school. I live in Morgantown as I said before and it is a college town where the big WVU Mountaineers are. So I am going to see if I can make an appointment to see some one at the university this week about going in the Winter semester. Thanks again!
                        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I'm 31 and I'm going back to college for a different profession (in fact, school starts tomorrow). If it's what you want to do because it makes you happy, do it! Being in a job/career that you hate is like being in a loveless marriage. You won't be happy and the stress/anxiety from being "stuck" will only destroy you from the inside out. If you decide to pursue a career in geology/paleontology, I wish you all the happiness and fortune possible to succeed.
                          “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
                          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                          Sneak Attack
                          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
                            Yikes, almost got cut on that edge there.
                            I almost choked on your sauciness.

Comment

I went back for my Masters when I was in my mid-thirties. I absolutely loved it. It didn't get me a better job, but for a few years I got to do research and work on comparison/contrast papers, etc, and feel like my contributions made a difference, so it was worth it.
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                              X