Anyone e know about wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone e know about wood?

When we trimmed the oak trees by the font door last year, we ended up an awesome branch that I de-barked and sanded a bit (mainly the pesky pointy jobs). I have left it in the closet to let the wood dry out and season some. Now I want to put some work in this beauty and get it made up as staff/walking stick. Any woodworkers out there that can give me some advice or pointers??

Re: Anyone e know about wood?

Originally posted by Lady Fang View Post
    When we trimmed the oak trees by the font door last year, we ended up an awesome branch that I de-barked and sanded a bit (mainly the pesky pointy jobs). I have left it in the closet to let the wood dry out and season some. Now I want to put some work in this beauty and get it made up as staff/walking stick. Any woodworkers out there that can give me some advice or pointers??
    I've done this sort of thing a few times. One thing I had quite the amount of success with was I stained the entire thing first, before doing anything else. After that, I used a pencil to draw what designs I wanted on it, then with an edge of a knife, I etched them in. Afterwards, I took a towel dampened it with black ink and ran it over the freshly etched designs to fill them in.

When I get a chance, I'll post up a picture of hte result.
    "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

The only thing I know for sure is that I want to keep the natural color as much as possible. But back.g never made anything from the literal start like this, I've no clue what to do. Is bad that want the thick part up top and the thin at the bottom? Will it be less sturdy that way? I thought about inlaying some crystals, but is that even possible? Sorry, I'm a noob in this.

Comment

I oiled my staff with a mixture of almond oil, essential oils and my blood. He drank it right up and now has just a very slightly darker than natural colour. My plan was to decorate with woodburning but I've never actually got that far (I need to practice a bit first). He's still a work in progress... I'm currently drying out some raven's feet (it takes a month or two) and I have feathers ready and a chunk of tourmalinated quartz to set at the head. I'm not entirely sure whether I'll stick with the woodburning plan or not... we're undecided on that matter.

Munin-Hugin, I'd love to see a picture of how the etching came out! I've never thought to carve and put ink into the carving... like tattooing the wood. Is it just etched lines or are there areas of carved out wood etc?

Comment

The only thing I know for sure is that I want to keep the natural color as much as possible. But back.g never made anything from the literal start like this, I've no clue what to do. Is bad that want the thick part up top and the thin at the bottom? Will it be less sturdy that way? I thought about inlaying some crystals, but is that even possible? Sorry, I'm a noob in this.
          For an oil finish, you can use boiled linseed oil, although tung oil (real tung oil, and much more expensive) will darken the wood a little less - any finish will darken the color a bit.

Another option is to rub the wood, hard, with a smooth metal object (a heavy spoon) while rubbing in wax/paraffin. That hardens the surface and gives it a nice shine.

"Big at bottom" doesn't matter - that's the way trees grow naturally.

To inlay stones, cut out the area, then use epoxy glue to hold them in... although I don't much care for glue. I'd make a metal band and set the stones on that, but you'd need metalworking skills.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Setting stones ... I cut a piece of leather a bit wider than the rock and long enough to ALMOST go around the staff ... Cut a hole slightly smaller than the stone and of good shape so it doesn't pop thru ... set stone on staff ... lay leather over stone ... lace leather to staff like shoelaces to tighten ...
            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
              Munin-Hugin, I'd love to see a picture of how the etching came out! I've never thought to carve and put ink into the carving... like tattooing the wood. Is it just etched lines or are there areas of carved out wood etc?
              Here ya go, Rae'ya. For the most part, it's etched lines. At the time I made it, I was quite new to attempting anything like that so I kept it simple.

Also at hte time, I was rather eclectic in my beliefs, and so there are a large array of etching along the length. It's about 5' long, and I've etched in designs over most of it.
              "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

That's come out really great! I'll have to keep that in mind. I do have a wood burning kit, and I also have a dremel, and now I have this as well. Hmmm... more options probably isn't going to help the procrastination situation AT ALL! lol

Comment

I think Yorin can give you an excellent advice about wood burning! She does excellent job with it.
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Thanks for the shoutout Gleb ^_^

If you picked it from after cutting, I would google some tips real soon on making sure it doesn't crack and break on you in the drying process (I've had several potential projects go bad because of this)...I haven't had any new wood that's fresh to work with or I'd have tips for that myself.

If you're looking at doing wood burning, I'd recommend drawing out in pencil what you're looking at doing that way you've got it set instead of doing it freehand and then realizing afterwards that you screwed something up, or uneven which could be really really bad if you're as OCD about stuff like that like I am. Depends on what kind of wood burner you have (or how much money you want to spend) local walmart or hobby lobby stores have a basic kit (Usually about $15) that has simple attachments like points and shaders but the downside is that it only has one temperature. Stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels should have a slightly better but still reasonably priced (usually between $25-35) and has a few more attachments as well as a few stamping tools and is temperature controlled for better shading options. Or if you wanna get really serious you can spend a couple hundred dollars on a kit similar to mine and do allll kinds of things. It looks like they stopped selling my exact one though which has the ability to switch between two separate tools on a detailer setting or heavy duty setting.

I'd like to point out though that for simple stuff like the occasional staff or wand the first two are really the best option and will work just fine. If anyone would like specific tips feel free to ask away
                    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
                      If you picked it from after cutting, I would google some tips real soon on making sure it doesn't crack and break on you in the drying process (I've had several potential projects go bad because of this)...I haven't had any new wood that's fresh to work with or I'd have tips for that myself.
                      For drying branches, the best thing to do is cut them a few inches longer than needed so you can cut the ends off if they split while drying (most branches won't actually crack/split the way lumber will). If you can't do that, paint the ends with wax, or plain old paint to slow the drying - which will occur most rapidly from the end grain.

Lay the wood down flat in a cool dry place, and wait about a year (assuming it's about an inch in diameter).

If the branch was already dead when cut, it's likely to already be dry.

Expect a branch to warp, though, either more or less. The branch grows in opposition to the down-pull of earth's gravity, and, when it is no longer in place on the tree, it's going to curl because the stress, that was previously in balance with gravity, has been released.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax
                        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I usually get small diameter limbs gifted to me so I bundle them and tie then together to keep them straight and slow the drying process. I rarely get splits that way and I don't have to steam them to straighten.
                          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Huh, cool. Thanks B. de

Got any tips for if you're dealing with larger lumber? Like thicker branches cut into 1"-2" thickness for plaques because that's what I normally get rather than sticks
                            Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                            Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
                              Huh, cool. Thanks B. de

Got any tips for if you're dealing with larger lumber? Like thicker branches cut into 1"-2" thickness for plaques because that's what I normally get rather than sticks
                              Hmmm...

If you cut them into slabs before they are seasoned (dried), they are almost certain to split - the tension in a thin cross grained piece of wood when it dries quickly is just too much.

People who do lathe work or sculpture with green wood have a trick to prevent splitting you might try, though. They soak the green wood in "PEG" (Polyethylene glycol). The PEG replaces the water in the wood so the wood doesn't crack.

Here is a site with some ideas about preventing wood disks from cracking:

Comment

Working...
                              X